Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us Titan fans completely understand injuries… believe me.

My buddy, who is a Titans fan, and I were talking about this the other day. Dolphins and Titans had extremely similar seasons. Started the season strong, had a bunch of injuries and then ended the year on a long losing streak while starting a 3rd string QB with the playoffs on the line. Only difference was we squeaked out a win the last week which got us in the playoffs.

Reactions: VolNash17
Americans get the 2nd least amount of paid vaca days per year behind only Micronesia.

The richest of the rich need their minions to work as much as possible so they can get even richer and for some reason Americans eat that sh*t up and then brag about it lol. Like awesome job working all the time, now here’s your nonstop anxiety and stress, enjoy and see you first thing tomorrow AM!!

And yet I don't know of a single restaurant operating with a full staff. Somebody is clearly not working.

Over and over and over
The worst and most inexcusable one though was the one at the end when it was fourth down and a foot. You absolutely cannot take delay of game right there. Get up under center and run a qb sneak. They should have been set at the los with at least 15 on the play clock there. Pitiful clock mgmt there

And yet I don't know of a single restaurant operating with a full staff. Somebody is clearly not working.
It's why myself and all you others that work have to be at our jobs daily and as often as possible. We each have a duty and obligation to support at least 10 each who aren't working. They depend on us.................

Cream of the crop? The only cream of the crop is Hill/Waddle. 3rd string QB. Over half of the OL aren’t normal starters and are 2nd and 3rd string players, and the RB is 3rd string as well. You’d hope 3rd stringers could still get plays off before the play clock runs out in a loud environment, that’s still a bad failure, but this offense is far from cream of the crop right now.

It could be argued that the entire roster of every NFL team constitutes the "cream of the crop". Presumably they played at a high level in college. Did they forget basic stuff like that big countdown timer in the end zone?

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
Forgot to tell y'all.

Finally remembered to ask my mom and uncle if they knew Charlie Ergen growing up (I knew they were about the same age and went to the same HS in Oak Ridge) and indeed they knew him and his family. I gave them my huge spiel how for only 99 cents a day (in relative dollars...so maybe more like $100k/day for him or .25% APY interest...a mere fraction of his investment returns) he could help feed a boatload of 5 stars and help us win championships. Told them they need to let him know ASAP.

Anyway, they kept drinking their wine and said they'd get right on that. Y'all are welcome 😂
😂

McDaniel has actually talked about the issue everyone saw today with playcalling a couple times this season. It wasn’t as prevalent with Tua because Tua, with all of his faults, is actually a good game flow manager. Today, McDaniel didn’t have that luxury with an 3rd string rookie and it showed. He needed to give him more help but instead his inexperience showed which also made his QBs inexperiences show.

He’s a first year HC and is handling playcalling duties for the first time in his career as well. He still has quite a bit to learn and he gets to smart for his own britches with playcalling at times, but he’s a smart dude who will hopefully figure it out. We will see if he takes another step forward next season but 9 wins and playoffs in his first year is something I would have taken in a second if you asked me before the year.

It could be argued that the entire roster of every NFL team constitutes the "cream of the crop". Presumably they played at a high level in college. Did they forget basic stuff like that big countdown timer in the end zone?

You could argue it, but when I hear “cream of the crop” I’m thinking starters and people that play week in and week out, not practice squad players and a starting tackle that was signed in week 16 and hadn’t played all year. When Tua and the starting offense was playing most of the year, players I would consider cream of the crop, they were able to make up for play calls getting in late. These guys couldn’t. It wasn’t entirely their fault though ill say. That last delay of game that cost them a chance at the game, the players were still huddled up with 5 seconds left on the play clock. Not even the starting offense was getting that play off in time.

Seems like if I was an owner of a business like that and clearly ppl were not wanting to come work for me that I’d cut my pay to what they make and do their job.

Then I could understand the challenges and it would allow me to better recruit potential employees. Like the show Undercover Boss but also the same pay.

Or the owners could keep doing the same thing they’ve always done and then complain that no one wants to work for them.

Oh...so all I need to do is pay them more? Why didn't I think of that?!?

No offense intended, but you clearly know nothing about how small business works. Most of us work in our businesses as much or more than our employees. We get what's left after making sure they get paid well enough to keep coming to work. The people working for me have had multiple raises since I last got one. The broad brush that may apply to SP500 companies has nothing at all to do with small business, and small business is the backbone of the country.

I disagree I had several deep dimes that were dropped
He was so scared to throw the ball the last two weeks of the regular season when he got pushed into having to start. Coaches mentioned he needed to trust his WR and take some chances. He did that today, and those same WRs let him down.

Reactions: jlawso21
Be careful, man. Vinyl can easily become an obsession. Started about 7 years ago and 200 albums later...
I added over 1000 records to my collection between 2019 and the end of 2021. Now, im selling them all. Selling them has become a way bigger obsession than collecting them ever was, and that is saying a whole hell of a lot. In those years, I was in a record shop everyday, or buying something online.

Not sure if it's been discussed, with respect to the UGA OL and staffer that died last night. I'm pretty sure they were dating. Lots of pictures of the two of them together and they're the same age. They were in the front seat. LeCroy (the woman) was driving and dead at the scene. The OL died at the hospital. Another OL (McClendon) was in the backseat with another female staff member. They're stable, but the other woman has "serious" injuries.

Wasn't a case of adults keeping athletes or recruits out too late or anything like that. It was college kids being college kids and it's tragic. Even if there was DUI involved. Prayers for their families and the Georgia athletic department. Hope they put their championship rings in with the trophy.

Oh...so all I need to do is pay them more? Why didn't I think of that?!?

No offense intended, but you clearly know nothing about how small business works. Most of us work in our businesses as much or more than our employees. We get what's left after making sure they get paid well enough to keep coming to work. The people working for me have had multiple raises since I last got one. The broad brush that may apply to SP500 companies has nothing at all to do with small business, and small business is the backbone of the country.

I don’t take any offense. My strategy doesn’t have to be your strategy as people think and act differently from one another and that’s all good my man.

I do some small business consulting so that’s quite the assumption that I don’t know how small business works, although I admit I don’t have much experience in the restaurant industry. Hope your business works out. But if you’re having trouble staffing, you’re gonna have to be a little more creative than “I can’t pay them more and that’s the only thing they want” and my post wasn’t insinuating that it’s all about pay - there are many other factors to consider with just a couple being do people enjoy coming to work for you? Have you built a strong culture? Are you marketing your company effectively to potential employees? Etc etc

My point was that the owner should accept only that pay while doing the work to fully understand the challenges instead of assuming they already know the challenges.

Additionally, the convo was about lack of vaca days in America and I made a statement about wealthy owners pushing their minions to work more. When you entered the convo, you didn’t specify you were speaking about small businesses so my thought track wasn’t on the same level as yours. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Govolsman98
Kids were young. Flew to jackson hole. Rented a huge RV. Did Yellowstone, Cody, Glacier, Grand Tetons. Mined for gold, went to the rodeo, cooked on a fire, ate chili in a bag, played board games. No phones. No tv. One of the best vacations ever.
But were there any ghosts?

Reactions: LadyVolette
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back