Game Thread Lady Vols v Georgia: Sun 1PM @ TBA; SEC-network

Bingo 🎯Tennessee12!
This team is DEEP! Don’t take my word take it from the game announcers… the Lady Vols bench averages nearly 35 PPG. Now if Rickea was reinserted in the lineup it’ll still be over 20 PPG.
Franklin was had dominated games on the boards this year coming off the bench. Jasmine Powell has had some ups and downs that I will live with because later in the year she’ll be big for this team.
Puckett, Striplin, and Hollingshead have shown flashes that were missing from key role players on the team despite having a better record at this point in 2022.
Jordan Walker has elevated her play.
Anybody who says Jordan Horston isn’t ELITE can’t be taken seriously.
Lately Darby and Rickea Jackson have carried the team offensively which in no way takes away from the outstanding play of Horston.
Besides Rickea, what player on the bench could create and get a bucket?

Besides Rickea, what player on the bench could create and get a bucket?

First of all there’s no better scorer than Rickea Jackson in the SEC.
Easy question, Jasmine Powell.
Why do you people expect these college players to be nearly perfect. Hollingshead can create down low on the block.
The only area holding TN back from being ELITE is the lapses on defense. I’m not worried about the turnovers as much as the inconsistent defense.

Ground Hog's Day VI: Lady Vols SEC games. It is such a sense of deja vu watching the LV SEC games. In each game, so happy to see that their becoming the team that is capable of challenging anyone. This includes early leads of about 20 or more points, huge rebounding margins, good passing, and excellent first half defense for the most part. One may even start to imagine that this will be the 40 -minute performance that we have been dreaming about. But noooooo o_O! The LVs inevitably start getting outhustled and outplayed by their opponent in the latter portions of the game despite the clear talent disparity. This leaves a sour taste in the mouth even though the LVs played very well for at least half the game. This pattern has to change with the series of hard games that we are about to encounter if we want to stay in the race for a SEC championship and a a top 16 seed for the NCAAs.
Addendum: My response to this pattern is becoming part of the Ground Hog pattern too :cool:.

Last edited:
I mean okay….not changing my mind. She’s shown flashes but AGAIN….inconsistent. She’s not elite, but can be if she was more consistent. 1st team All-Americans are elite and she’s not playing like one. I’m glad we have her and have always enjoyed Jordan’s play when she’s mentally in the game.

I'm not here to change ya mind. But i am going to add some input. Jordy (to me) has been our leader and most mentally tough rallying people during the tough out of conference schedule, losing TK, etc. When Rickea was being disiciplined Jordy was the one taking the lead and doing Jordy things. I thought she had been consistent until these last couple of games.

With that being said she has been off. Her mom has tweeted her grandma has been sick and she herself has tweeted things about mental health awareness... Take it for what it's worth.

I agree thank, God for Rickea, and she has more than paid her dues and she is learning how to be a LV and it looks good on her!

We seem to be play a lot more aggressively with the current lineup. I am not sure I would want to change it unless we are not playing well.
puckett, pissot wynn,miles have not played much on rocky top all need mins when they can get them. hollingshed green and striplin greener both will get playing time in the post 4 or 5 spot darby not much less greener than softmores. if two players get 35 mins a game younger players will not improve much. this was for post wanting Jordan H 35 mins a game

Plus: first half defense was good. Jackson was good, of course. Our 3-point shooting, by our less than stellar standard, was very good today--we made 8 (more than double our average, I think); and we were solid at the free-throw line. Nice assist number as well.

Minus: Turnovers, again: 23 is terrible. Horston was....not good: poor shooting and 7 TOs. Our bigs did little.

As we go forward I'm sure we'll see opponents double Jackson and make Horston and rest of the team beat them.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Bingo 🎯Tennessee12!
This team is DEEP! Don’t take my word take it from the game announcers… the Lady Vols bench averages nearly 35 PPG. Now if Rickea was reinserted in the lineup it’ll still be over 20 PPG.
Franklin was had dominated games on the boards this year coming off the bench. Jasmine Powell has had some ups and downs that I will live with because later in the year she’ll be big for this team.
Puckett, Striplin, and Hollingshead have shown flashes that were missing from key role players on the team despite having a better record at this point in 2022.
Jordan Walker has elevated her play.
Anybody who says Jordan Horston isn’t ELITE can’t be taken seriously.
Lately Darby and Rickea Jackson have carried the team offensively which in no way takes away from the outstanding play of Horston.
Mississippi, don’t quote me! Can’t fool me, welcome back to the board, I suggest you take a different route with the board this time around. I could catch your tone of post from a mile away, I wasn’t going to say anything until you quoted me. I didn’t like your condescending post, and “stand on business” quotes then, and I won’t like them now. Have a good day.

I'm not here to change ya mind. But i am going to add some input. Jordy (to me) has been our leader and most mentally tough rallying people during the tough out of conference schedule, losing TK, etc. When Rickea was being disiciplined Jordy was the one taking the lead and doing Jordy things. I thought she had been consistent until these last couple of games.

With that being said she has been off. Her mom has tweeted her grandma has been sick and she herself has tweeted things about mental health awareness... Take it for what it's worth.

I agree thank, God for Rickea, and she has more than paid her dues and she is learning how to be a LV and it looks good on her!
I give her that, she’s definitely and emotional leader, I just need her to play to her potential. If she wants to win a national championship, she has the pieces to make a deep run, but I really feel our season hinges upon her play against the elite teams, she has to clean it up. Rickea has been phenomenal….consistently, just need Jordan to get on board with the consistently with her play on the court. It’ll be okay against the mediocre teams, but good teams, we need her.

I agree on the comment about Rickea, sis is officially in her bag at Tennessee!!!!

Mud's phone is an android.

It's been holding him hostage.

The real tell is when it occasionally lapses into third person without noticing. Hard to break those old hive habits.

Resistance is futile.
from star trek fan to volnation . Sometimes the creek runs green see the the rocks in creek no fishing glasses needed. other times muddy creek means mudcats are everywhere.

Last edited:
After what seems like a running joke between coach Kellie and the staff having Powell have the ball at the end of of quarters. I don't see how that couldn't be on purpose after game after game after game it's the same end result. Embarrassing.
LOL poor Jazzy P. It is like a bad joke at this point. And the play ain't hard to figure. Give the ball to Rickea and hit the boards. Hell let her bring it up in that situation. I really think Powell can be alot better, and we need her to be. JW does yoemans duty on D but just does not handle the press well.
Man I wish we could have her for 2 seasons she’s giving me Holdsclaw Flashbacks with her midrange game .
So much like Holdsclaw's game and also with that cool, absolute scorer's mentality. Nothing forced. Reminds me a bit of Gwen Jackson when she scores down low. She is so fun to watch.
As we go forward I'm sure we'll see opponents double Jackson and make Horston and rest of the team beat them.
Lots of presses, lots of zones coming up for the LVs., Lots of double teams and rough stuff coming up for RJ. She seems to pass out of the double pretty well, we have to keep stringing together the 3s like we did today.

RJ has pretty much rampaged thru the lower echelon of the SEC. Can't wait to see how she does against the better teams.

Great crowd today. Biggest in awhile. I hated that the game was kind of sloggy for them.

I give her that, she’s definitely and emotional leader, I just need her to play to her potential. If she wants to win a national championship, she has the pieces to make a deep run, but I really feel our season hinges upon her play against the elite teams, she has to clean it up. Rickea has been phenomenal….consistently, just need Jordan to get on board with the consistently with her play on the court. It’ll be okay against the mediocre teams, but good teams, we need her.
I agree on the comment about Rickea, sis is officially in her bag at Tennessee!!!!

I totally agree! Our season hinges upon Jordy and ability to elevate her level and her team's level.

Now, we can agree to disagree on this next thing, I think Rickea is a God send but her rebounding and defensive effort didn't raise to this level until she got sat for a bit lol... That could be just me but there's a difference in her now then the beginning of the year. She is rebounding with a purpose and knowing there isn't a person who can stop her. Again, this isn't to start an argument i just think there is a difference between then and the level she is playing at now.

I just pray what ever is going on with her (jordy) grandma AND her mental health that she is ok! Jordy the basketball player is def important but I'm hoping that Jordy the person comes out while and healthy 😃

First of all there’s no better scorer than Rickea Jackson in the SEC.
Easy question, Jasmine Powell.
Why do you people expect these college players to be nearly perfect. Hollingshead can create down low on the block.
The only area holding TN back from being ELITE is the lapses on defense. I’m not worried about the turnovers as much as the inconsistent defense.
Powell is not a go to scorer, she forces shots up in the paint. We have only 2 players that can get a bucket when needed. I love this team but they aren’t very talented outside of those 2.

on nights JH shots are not falling she needs to pass to jackson darby or who has hot hand.

LOL poor Jazzy P. It is like a bad joke at this point. And the play ain't hard to figure. Give the ball to Rickea and hit the boards. Hell let her bring it up in that situation. I really think Powell can be alot better, and we need her to be. JW does yoemans duty on D but just does not handle the press well.

So much like Holdsclaw's game and also with that cool, absolute scorer's mentality. Nothing forced. Reminds me a bit of Gwen Jackson when she scores down low. She is so fun to watch.

Lots of presses, lots of zones coming up for the LVs., Lots of double teams and rough stuff coming up for RJ. She seems to pass out of the double pretty well, we have to keep stringing together the 3s like we did today.

RJ has pretty much rampaged thru the lower echelon of the SEC. Can't wait to see how she does against the better teams.

Great crowd today. Biggest in awhile. I hated that the game was kind of sloggy for them.
She will do the same to anyone in the country, as long as she gets the mins and shots, I trust her to be ready any game and especially the big games.

No doubt Jordan's had a couple of clunkers, and when she does so, she tends to do it out loud. Big turnover days, cold shooting. But that's been by far the exception this year and she has carried the team alot. It was just a week ago she was stuffing the stats at Vandy. Whatever's going on right now, we just need good Jordy to check back in.

Much as I hate to even think such a thing, Rickea may have an off game at some point and we'll need JH to pick it up. That's why it's great to have both.

Powell is not a go to scorer, she forces shots up in the paint. We have only 2 players that can get a bucket when needed. I love this team but they aren’t very talented outside of those 2.

This discussion makes no sense. The team and system isn’t asking Jasmine Powell to be a go to scorer. That is why she is adjusting and seems out of rhythm. She could score fine her first two seasons on the D1 level.
I’m not about to try to make a point by discrediting a player that is in slump.
Secondly, to judge the players on this team off its two top players who are TWO of the best in all of WCBB makes no sense at all. Rickea Jackson took time away from basketball and has had to find her place in a historic program with a microscope on her. Rickea is easily the best scorer in the SEC and arguably the best in the country.
Tamari Key is out due to a serious medical issue that surely impacted her and the team to start the season.
Jordan Walker just played outstanding defense against one of the top athletes @PG in WCBB. Striplin and Darby are finding their games in SEC play and becoming high quality starter caliber players.
Franklin is returning from a major injury and contributing for a winning team.
Hollingshead and Pissott are going to be big time in the near future. Put the roster next to South Carolina, LSU, and Arkansas the Lady Vols can match up with and beat either team. The big difference is neither of those teams outside of S. Carolina have faced a schedule nearly as tough as Tennessee. Then factor in neither has had to replace an All- SEC Preseason talent.
Some people just complain for the sake of tearing down others.

We'll see if it was GA "D" or ???
Anytime we have more than 15 turnovers,,,I'm doing a turnover report

A lot was just GA standing in the passing lane and UT making lazy throws.

This GA team was a very handsy defensive group. I saw a ton of deflections in doing the turnover report.
TURNOVER REPORT GA.jpg

this was very revealing

I totally agree! Our season hinges upon Jordy and ability to elevate her level and her team's level.

Now, we can agree to disagree on this next thing, I think Rickea is a God send but her rebounding and defensive effort didn't raise to this level until she got sat for a bit lol... That could be just me but there's a difference in her now then the beginning of the year. She is rebounding with a purpose and knowing there isn't a person who can stop her. Again, this isn't to start an argument i just think there is a difference between then and the level she is playing at now.

I just pray what ever is going on with her (jordy) grandma AND her mental health that she is ok! Jordy the basketball player is def important but I'm hoping that Jordy the person comes out while and healthy 😃
O I DEFINITELY agree with the Jackson comment, I don’t think there was ever a disagreement on her in the first place though. I could be missing something.

Her defensive and rebounding game has definitely elevated, which we needed. We were getting completely out-rebounded earlier in the year and since she’s been coming off the bench and making rebounding more of a priority, our numbers have totally flipped, aside from today.

VN Store

Back