‘23 NC WR Nathan Leacock (Tennessee)

So 9 fewer than Javonta Payton’s entire 2021 total? That leaves 21 receptions outside the rotation. 🤔
15 of them were in games they took out the starters. 5 receptions in the only meaningful game when Hyatt or CT weren’t available. I mean, arguing the point of “they do or don’t rotate receivers” is a little silly. It’s clear that in most important games, especially close ones, we really only have 3 wide receivers getting targets. Against Bama and Florida it was only Bru Hyatt Keyton.

Leacock will for sure get yards and he may be able to do what squirrel did this year, but he’s not going to be coming in during the second quarter against UGA or Bama. I think that’s the point

15 of them were in games they took out the starters. 5 receptions in the only meaningful game when Hyatt or CT weren’t available. I mean, arguing the point of “they do or don’t rotate receivers” is a little silly. It’s clear that in most important games, especially close ones, we really only have 3 wide receivers getting targets. Against Bama and Florida it was only Bru Hyatt Keyton.

Leacock will for sure get yards and he may be able to do what squirrel did this year, but he’s not going to be coming in during the second quarter against UGA or Bama. I think that’s the point
5 in that close barn burner that was SC. Kind of silly to suggest besting a previous season's REGULAR ROTATION member's receptions isn't considered production in an offense. As is the suggestion that message board posters knows what this offense is or isn't based on parts of two seasons of a rebuild. It's like what I read from outside fans about how Heupel utilizes TE's. You put a Bowers type TE weapon on the field and Heupel will know how to use him. Time will be the final judge, but if you're in a rush, roll with your narrative.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
5 in that close barn burner that was SC. Kind of silly to suggest besting a previous season's REGULAR ROTATION member's receptions isn't considered production in an offense. As is the suggestion that message board posters knows what this offense is or isn't based on parts of two seasons of a rebuild. It's like what I read from outside fans about how Heupel utilizes TE's. You put a Bowers type TE weapon on the field and Heupel will know how to use him. Time will be the final judge, but if you're in a rush, roll with your narrative.
He might play that much, might not. We have plenty to choose from. It’s not a crime to point out what we’ve seen so far for the most part. If Leacock is good enough to be in a “rotation” that’s great.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

We dont pass it a lot. That's the only issue. Because of how explosive and efficient we are of course fewer guys are going to get touches. We dont have ten play drives where we need to rotate AS MUCH. But we still do rotate and we spread it around fine.

We attempted 422 passes, completed 290 of them.

We attempted at least 90 fewer passes than any passing offense better than us.

We are the number 5 passing offense. The next school down with fewer attempts was OSU at number 15 passing offense, and then number 24 Tulsa. Even number 50 Utah attempted more passes than us.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25

Any team with elite WR is going to use them. Hyatt caught 67 passes. The other two Biltenkoff finalists caught 77, and 107 (something about 7s) passes.

We spread it around plenty. Just not enough touches to make everyone's number great.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
We dont pass it a lot. That's the only issue. Because of how explosive and efficient we are of course fewer guys are going to get touches. We dont have ten play drives where we need to rotate AS MUCH. But we still do rotate and we spread it around fine.

We attempted 422 passes, completed 290 of them.

We attempted at least 90 fewer passes than any passing offense better than us.

We are the number 5 passing offense. The next school down with fewer attempts was OSU at number 15 passing offense, and then number 24 Tulsa. Even number 50 Utah attempted more passes than us.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25

Any team with elite WR is going to use them. Hyatt caught 67 passes. The other two Biltenkoff finalists caught 77, and 107 (something about 7s) passes.

We spread it around plenty. Just not enough touches to make everyone's number great.
As they continue to upgrade the defense, it will create more opportunities for the offense in the future.

I don't think I will agree to your statement until the end of Fall practice. You are likely correct, but you never know until these new guys have the opportunity to show the coaches what they can do. There is a lot of new talent coming in this year.

Reactions: swchandler1988
Number of catches for WRs projected to go in the first two rounds.

-Quentin Johnson, TCU: 59, looks like he was hurt, only played in 13 of their 15
-Jordan Addison, USC/Putt: 59. He was hurt and only played in 11 games of 14
-Zay Flowers Boston College 78 catches
-Jaxon Smith-Njigba, was hurt most of this year, but caught 95 passes in 2021.
-Rasheed Rice, SMU, 96 catches in 12 games.
-Keyshown Boutte LSU, 48, even with all his issues.
-Josh Downs, NC, 94 catches.
-marvin Mims Jr, Oklahoma 54 catches

So really only two WR projected to go in the first two rounds caught fewer passes than Hyatt without being injured.

We spread it around fine.

I don't think I will agree to your statement until the end of Fall practice. You are likely correct, but you never know until these new guys have the opportunity to show the coaches what they can do. There is a lot of new talent coming in this year.
We haven't used much of a WR rotation here yet. It doesn't mean that we won't, because they did use a much greater rotation at UCF. Every team is going to play their best players the most, and we haven't had a WR catch more than the 67 receptions that Hyatt had this season. Bru (52), Tillman(37), Keyton(31), Squirrel(30). Where are all these extra receptions for other guys supposed to come from? The defense has to create more opportunities for the offense for more guys to see significant playing time.

Number of catches for WRs projected to go in the first two rounds.

-Quentin Johnson, TCU: 59, looks like he was hurt, only played in 13 of their 15
-Jordan Addison, USC/Putt: 59. He was hurt and only played in 11 games of 14
-Zay Flowers Boston College 78 catches
-Jaxon Smith-Njigba, was hurt most of this year, but caught 95 passes in 2021.
-Rasheed Rice, SMU, 96 catches in 12 games.
-Keyshown Boutte LSU, 48, even with all his issues.
-Josh Downs, NC, 94 catches.
-marvin Mims Jr, Oklahoma 54 catches

So really only two WR projected to go in the first two rounds caught fewer passes than Hyatt without being injured.

We spread it around fine.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
We haven't used much of a WR rotation here yet. It doesn't mean that we won't, because they did use a much greater rotation at UCF. Every team is going to play their best players the most, and we haven't had a WR catch more than the 67 receptions that Hyatt had this season. Bru (52), Tillman(37), Keyton(31), Squirrel(30). Where are all these extra receptions for other guys supposed to come from? The defense has to create more opportunities for the offense for more guys to see significant playing time.

You don’t have to catch a ton of passes when they go for 20 - 50 yards a pop, 😝. We had a bunch of drives end with 40+ passing TDs

Reactions: LouderVol
G

Garbage time. Mostly from Milton.
I remember him on the field in some tight matchups. Anywho's, Merrill had 5 receptions in 2021 during (I assume) "garbage time" and 8 this past season when there was obviously a plethora to be had. Sounds more like production gets you touches.

This one will get on the field this coming season, no doubt at all. He seems to outrun everybody, or runs by them or over them. He will play.

VN Store

Back