On next year's scheduling

Should Kellie pull a Mulkey for next season, scheduling-wise?

• No. Test the team early and often.

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Yes. Next season's schedule needs to be a lot less challenging.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Let's see how the NCAA Tournament committee addresses LSU's weak scheduling

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Wait at least 6 games into the season before playing a ranked team

Votes: 44 36.4%
  • LSU's non-con schedule was boring, but it doesn't appear to have hurt them

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
…this is where wise NIL comes into play…. Isn’t this the last class that can take a Covid year?

Lets get that go fundme started. We probably just need around 500K X3 to bring back RJ, JH, and TK. Heck, let's throw in 150K to keep Powell happy and 400K for Tess (divided up across years 4 and 5).

It might take a lot less than that. Have you checked the WNBA salary for rookies?

How much a WNBA rookies makes depends on where she was drafted. According to Her Hoop Stats, here’s a breakdown of how much rookies drafted in 2022 made this season:
  • Picks 1-4: $72,141
  • Picks 5-8: $69,224
  • Picks 9-12: $66,306
  • Second round: $63,389
  • Third round and undrafted: $60,471
Lets get that go fundme started. We probably just need around 500K X3 to bring back RJ, JH, and TK. Heck, let's throw in 150K to keep Powell happy and 400K for Tess (divided up across years 4 and 5).

I have spent many, many years enjoying the strenuous, exciting schedules that Tennessee usually plays every season, and also have made many posts commenting on how boring it must be for fans of teams with coaches who schedule cupcake after cupcake after cupcake.

That said, with LSU still undefeated and looking like the boring schedule has done nothing but make them confident and, of course, highly ranked, I'm now forced to wonder if it might be time to consider the possibility that a team may not have to be constantly challenged to have success in the end.

Next year is going to be interesting, to say the least. No Horston, Key, Jackson, Walker, Franklin or Rennie, for sure. And possibly no Suarez, depending on how things are going for her.

So I'm thinking for next year, if she hasn't already filled the schedule, Kellie might ought to consider taking it down a notch or three -- just for next season. What does everyone else think?
LSU is sitting at # 5, schedule and all. This was a bad year for the Lady Vols to have this schedule.. The substitution methodology still seems unsettled. One game Kellie was no where near the bench and substitutes were sent in. Maybe it was prearranged but that should always be her call. There are so many new players, they seem to have needed more time to fine tune. Coach Harper needs to school her point guard to play like Kellie Jolly. I just wat to see Coach Harper and the Lady Vols succeed so very much.

It might take a lot less than that. Have you checked the WNBA salary for rookies?

How much a WNBA rookies makes depends on where she was drafted. According to Her Hoop Stats, here’s a breakdown of how much rookies drafted in 2022 made this season:
  • Picks 1-4: $72,141
  • Picks 5-8: $69,224
  • Picks 9-12: $66,306
  • Second round: $63,389
  • Third round and undrafted: $60,471

Egad!!!! I recalled that the league had bumped up their minimum and maximums but did not realize how low the lows remain. From your source, I was stunned to see CP3 was not in the top ten salaries.

Anyway, given this new info, I think we can raise what we need by selling Krispy Kreme door to door on a good weekend. Let's go!!!

Last edited:
14 OOC games w/ 3 coming from a tournament
4 top 25 matchups
7 high mid major/mid P5 matchups(perennial 1st round/bubble tourny teams)
1 “Easy” Game

1. #55-70
2. #45-55
3. #Top 15
4. #30-40
5. Tough Thanksgiving Tournament (a top 25 team here and 2 top 60 teams at least)
6. #40-50
7. Top 10
8. 60-70
9. #60-70
10. Top 10
11. #60-70

LSU is sitting at # 5, schedule and all. This was a bad year for the Lady Vols to have this schedule.. The substitution methodology still seems unsettled. One game Kellie was no where near the bench and substitutes were sent in. Maybe it was prearranged but that should always be her call. There are so many new players, they seem to have needed more time to fine tune. Coach Harper needs to school her point guard to play like Kellie Jolly. I just wat to see Coach Harper and the Lady Vols succeed so very much.
They do have predetermined rotation times, and KJH did say her assistants handle those routine subs. First subs come in around 2:45 or so into the first quarter. I know this from counting down minutes until RJ comes in. I'm sure the pattern is discussed and tweaked before the game, depending on matchups, what's been going on in practice, etc.

Of course, any situational substitution needed, fouls, injury, getting beat badly on D, would override the preplanned pattern. The head coach always decides on them.

Egad!!!! I recalled that the league had bumped up their minimum and maximums but did not realize how low the lows remain. From your source, I was stunned to see CP3 was not in the top ten salaries.

Anyway, given this new info, I think we can raise what we need by selling Krispy Kreme door to door on a good weekend. Let's go!!!

The W life is a pretty tough grind too. No guarantees, rough travel, and have to pay for a lot of your own stuff.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
They do have predetermined rotation times, and KJH did say her assistants handle those routine subs. First subs come in around 2:45 or so into the first quarter. I know this from counting down minutes until RJ comes in. I'm sure the pattern is discussed and tweaked before the game, depending on matchups, what's been going on in practice, etc.

Of course, any situational substitution needed, fouls, injury, getting beat badly on D, would override the preplanned pattern. The head coach always decides on them.

That's very observant of you...Is the first sub RJ and a friend, or RJ alone? Normally, I'm against regularly scheduled brutality, but as of late the opponents have been unable to stop the LVs onslaught...

46f086928e6a0020d96d32d6b58aabbb.jpg

That's very observant of you...Is the first sub RJ and a friend, or RJ alone? Normally, I'm against regularly scheduled brutality, but as of late the opponents have been unable to stop the LVs onslaught...

46f086928e6a0020d96d32d6b58aabbb.jpg
Actually, the first sub has been weird. Someone else, Jill or Powell sometimes goes first, just long enough for 25 or so people behind me to yell Put Rickea In, then RJ suddenly goes in too, almost as an afterthought LOL. Maybe bc she's still sitting in the kiss and cry area at the very end of the bench, though not in a pouting way. Once she's in, she pretty much stays in except for brief rests or if in foul trouble like Sunday. Then the pattern repeats at the beginning of the second half.

If RJ plays 30+ mins, which we expect her to, in big games, then about 5 or 6 mins of her valuable rest time is coming in the first few mins of ea half when she shouldn't actually need rest. I'm sure they'll look at that.

Our whole bench sits in a crazy order, or disorder, btw. Jessie Rennie sits in the traditional coach's spot (Pat Summitt's seat!) next to the scorer, Wynn and BK next to her in the asst coaches chairs. Coaches hang out somewhere in the middle. Sometimes KJH doesn't even have a chair, but she doesn't sit much. Jazz Franklin also likes the end of the bench. The sophs, Tess, Karo, Sara are generally middle to lower end benchers. Powell, Jill and Edie just end up wherever there's room.

Sitting behind the bench with a very observant and interested teenager you learn alot!

Last edited:

Thanks for the info. I thought that may be the case. Believe me, I count the minutes , as well and remind myself CKH cannot hear me urging her to put Jackson in the game. I guess that’s why they say “fan“ is short for fanatic.

I would expect Powell to return. I think Key is also a good possibility. She is not being projected as a 1st rounder so another full season of college ball could pay off.

Horston and Jackson unlikely as both will be top 10 maybe top 5 picks.
I'm pretty sure Powell said it was for 2 when she signed. Almost certain she's back. I also think Key is a very good possibility to return if she's medically cleared which would help next yr a ton.

Jordan H I'd say less than 20% possibility. If she did return, it would be love and loyality to the program and the chance to play w her bff one more year. Plus good NIL $$ of course. WNBA salaries are so crappy!

RJ returning would be a small miracle I'm sure I don't deserve. Maybe if a really great post season run falls just short? She's never played in the NCAA tourney, maybe she'll love it and want to do it again. Less than 5% chance I'd say. However, $$ would not appear to be a factor for RJ, she seems to have lots of sponsorships and endorsements.

Probably the overridding issue for both would be the danger of injury in an additional year. Plus maybe they're tired of going to school.

Rumor is that USCe's NIL collective is paying Aliyah Boston to return next season by using her COVID year.

Rumor is that USCe's NIL collective is paying Aliyah Boston to return next season by using her COVID year.

The most important thing any athletic department can do right now is get their NIL house in order. For sports you actually care about, you better be in the top 5 NIL budgets for that sport.
Any coaches that aren't making NIL a priority are going to fail.

I am very worried that we are falling behind here and it could explain our last few recruiting cycles.

The most important thing any athletic department can do right now is get their NIL house in order. For sports you actually care about, you better be in the top 5 NIL budgets for that sport.
Any coaches that aren't making NIL a priority are going to fail.

I am very worried that we are falling behind here and it could explain our last few recruiting cycles.
say it again

If that comes true, it has a huge impact on the WNBA draft, especially if Bueckers goes to the W in the same season (though Bueckers NILs would probably want her to stay at UConn as long as possible also). It would also increase the likelihood of Jordy leaving this year, since she'd draft higher with less competition at the top.

Edit: I'm also reminded of the clip of Boston being told that Indiana has the #1 pick, and her being...less than enthused. That could definitely be a big incentive to stay in SC another season.

Last edited:
If that comes true, it has a huge impact on the WNBA draft, especially if Bueckers goes to the W in the same season (though Bueckers NILs would probably want her to stay at UConn as long as possible also). It would also increase the likelihood of Jordy leaving this year, since she'd draft higher with less competition at the top.

Edit: I'm also reminded of the clip of Boston being told that Indiana has the #1 pick, and her being...less than enthused. That could definitely be a big incentive to stay in SC another season.
…makes me go hmmmmm…
Go get paid, JH and RJ. I say that but it’s a tough league and I just want the best for them. Easier to push them out to sea, when the NBA comes calling in the first round.

I haven't seen that but I'm not surprised she'd be less than enthused about Indy. Even when Catch and the Fever were at their peak it always felt like they were in an uphill battle. They rarely make good draft choices, play musical chairs with coaches, and just generally have loser mojo. I hate it, too, because I was a fan (because of Catch) for years.

It all depends on who the coach is next year. If same coach it better be a Crip schedule

I complained about the schedule earlier this year when we started out 0-2. I don't like having a tough road opener. However, I do think Tennessee should still schedule tougher opponents. Maybe take off 1-2 of the harder games but keep the rest. Maybe not have the @ Ohio State game on this year's schedule but the rest.

The loss to Indiana at home was probably the most embarrassing OOC loss (or Gonzaga on Neutral Court but that crap happens in tournaments).

VN Store

Back