What is wrong with Kentucky Basketball?

He’s got a natty and 6 Final Fours. You can count on one hand active coaches with a better or equal resume. Either he’s gone stale at the same place or his method no longer works, but his resume is above reproach.
With the talent he’s had he should have at least 3 or 4 NC’s. One is pitiful considering what he has had to work with. That goes to how bad a bench coach he is. Rolling the ball out among all that 5 star talent he’s bought and paid for never has cut it. Sooner or later coaching has to take over.

With the talent he’s had he should have at least 3 or 4 NC’s. One is pitiful considering what he has had to work with. That goes to how bad a bench coach he is. Rolling the ball out among all that 5 star talent he’s bought and paid for never has cut it. Sooner or later coaching has to take over.
This is the worst taker ever. And it gets used against every single coach. Every great should have more. 6 Final Fours.

This is the worst taker ever. And it gets used against every single coach. Every great should have more. 6 Final Fours.

What Cal refuses to understand is more teams have simply gotten better and more talented.

He can’t just throw a bunch of 5*s out there in his 1950’s offense and expect elite results.

Sooner or later, he’s going to have to change his approach and put his players in the position to win.

Reactions: tbwhhs
What Cal refuses to understand is more teams have simply gotten better and more talented.

He can’t just throw a bunch of 5*s out there in his 1950’s offense and expect elite results.

Sooner or later, he’s going to have to change his approach and put his players in the position to win.
He’ll never be able to adapt and become good at in game coaching. And it’s impossible to maintain success today without it.

This fact means less now that it did a few years ago, because Cal hasn't won a NCAAT game since 2019. But in a world where March success is often seen as the end-all-be-all mark of success for a CBB coach, it is interesting to me how that isn't used as Cal's measuring stick but instead this perception that he's a bad Xs and Os coach is.

I don't know if there is a coach in the entire country, even going back to his UMass days, who more consistently makes deep runs in the NCAAT more often than Cal. The dude almost never gets put out of NCAATs early. It's part of the reason why last year's loss to St Peter's was so shocking.

This fact means less now that it did a few years ago, because Cal hasn't won a NCAAT game since 2019. But in a world where March success is often seen as the end-all-be-all mark of success for a CBB coach, it is interesting to me how that isn't used as Cal's measuring stick but instead this perception that he's a bad Xs and Os coach is.

I don't know if there is a coach in the entire country, even going back to his UMass days, who more consistently makes deep runs in the NCAAT more often than Cal. The dude almost never gets put out of NCAATs early. It's part of the reason why last year's loss to St Peter's was so shocking.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he’s great at coaching up his teams in practice, but he’s not good at adapting in game. He never has been, he’s not magically going to learn now. But the list of coaches with multiple titles is very small. The list of coaches with four or more FFs is very small. It’s easy to hate the guy, but he’s an all time great, and his record and resume back that up, regardless of anyone’s opinion of him.

Reactions: volbound1700
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he’s great at coaching up his teams in practice, but he’s not good at adapting in game. He never has been, he’s not magically going to learn now. But the list of coaches with multiple titles is very small. The list of coaches with four or more FFs is very small. It’s easy to hate the guy, but he’s an all time great, and his record and resume back that up, regardless of anyone’s opinion of him.
IMO, that bolded statement describes about 90% of CBB coaches, but for some reason Cal's critics hold it against him strongly. He is by no means unique in his struggles to adapt tactically in-game. It's actually kind of rare to find college coaches who are great Xs and Os guys. They're all in the NBA.

I know I'm probably coming off like a Cal stan, and I don't like the guy, but for the most part he's maligned because he wins a ton of games and looks like a Mafia don.

Reactions: Raebo
IMO, that bolded statement describes about 90% of CBB coaches, but for some reason Cal's critics hold it against him strongly. He is by no means unique in his struggles to adapt tactically in-game. It's actually kind of rare to find college coaches who are great Xs and Os guys. They're all in the NBA.

I know I'm probably coming off like a Cal stan, and I don't like the guy, but for the most part he's maligned because he wins a ton of games and looks like a Mafia don.
I disagree. There are a lot of great Xs and Os coaches in the college game IMO, but most of them fail to develop players and improve them over a season, or even a career. It’s rare to find a coach that can do both though

I disagree. There are a lot of great Xs and Os coaches in the college game IMO, but most of them fail to develop players and improve them over a season, or even a career. It’s rare to find a coach that can do both though
Who do you have in mind? Most of these coaches, even most of the top coaches, are recruiters.

Who do you have in mind? Most of these coaches, even most of the top coaches, are recruiters.
Mike Brey, Tony Bennett, and Buzz Williams are perfect examples of great Xs and Os coaches that don’t do a great job at development. Izzo, Self, and Jay Wright have both assets in spades. Mark Few is a great Xs and Os guy and develops well. Randy Bennett is probably the most underrated coach in all of collegiate D1 sports and he’s an incredible Xs and Os guy.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Mike Brey, Tony Bennett, and Buzz Williams are perfect examples of great Xs and Os coaches that don’t do a great job at development. Izzo, Self, and Jay Wright have both assets in spades. Mark Few is a great Xs and Os guy and develops well. Randy Bennett is probably the most underrated coach in all of collegiate D1 sports and he’s an incredible Xs and Os guy.
On balance though, do most college coaches lean towards recruiting or Xs and Os? I'm not sure Self is actually a great Xs and Os guy. Roy Williams wasn't and even said as much. Barnes is not. Pearl is not. Mike White is not. Juwan Howard and Penny Hardaway are not. Boeheim is not.

It seems like you kind of have to dig to find good tacticians in this sport, mostly because it's college and success or failure hinges more on talent acquisition than tactics.

VN Store

Back