Transfer wide receiver commits to Tennessee - Dont'e Thornton-

So we have 2 decent wide receivers who leave to go to Western Kentucky & Louisville but replace them with an elite guy from Oregon!! I will take that trade off any day.

Although I cant quite wrap my head around leaving UT for Western Kentucky....

Bowling Green is a nice town, being a Vol fan I would not trade it for Knoxville.

But main reason is playing time.
When you are spending so much time practicing and training I understand a kid wanting to transfer to smaller school for exposure and playtime, and having their family enjoy seeing them actually playing.
If my son was getting limited time to play I had rather see him go somewhere he could play and I could see him play.

Last edited:
So we have 2 decent wide receivers who leave to go to Western Kentucky & Louisville but replace them with an elite guy from Oregon!! I will take that trade off any day.

Although I cant quite wrap my head around leaving UT for Western Kentucky....
I think three guys made decisions independent of each other... with all three having the opportunity to be the #2 slot receiver next fall. I honestly wish Holliday had stayed. They liked him. They trusted him to handle KO returns. I think he could have gotten some time. Calloway from the "whispers" I read in different social media forums just didn't really fit that well with the coaches. Talented but wouldn't line up with what they wanted from him. Can't really say on Merrill. Maybe it was health... or maybe just looking to restart.

The net result though is UT has one SR and needs some depth.

Boom!
iu

Dude is 6'5!! Our WR corp next year are big boys! Milton just has to throw it up and let them do all the work!
It really has become a big advantage to be taller receiver in this age of the passing game being so dominant today in both college and pros. Just throw it up to the tall guy and it's gonna be a catch or a PI on shorter defender.. If I was a recruiter, the starting point would be 6'5" for receivers ---as many as possible

Reactions: SpookyAction
His limited videos are impressive. Despite being so tall, he has a burst to him. Our offense is going to be just fine next year.

Bowling Green is a nice town, being a Vol fan I would not trade it for Knoxville.

When you are spending so much time practicing and training I understand a kid wanting to transfer to smaller school for exposure and playtime, and having their family enjoy seeing them actually playing.
If my son was getting to limited time to play I had rather see him go somewhere he could play and I could see him play.
Have to think coaches are getting word through the "grapevine" on certain players that are wanting to commit, telling current guys, we're looking at bringing in some other guys and your PT will likely be reduced, if you decide to hit the portal I'll see if I can help you land someplace soon.
With the way the portal is now...it's probably best to get picked up by a school asap or windup not playing any where or at Google U(some place you have to google because you never heard of them)

Reactions: OldVolMan

If my son was getting to limited time to play I had rather see him go somewhere he could play and I could see him play.

I am in Nashville, I know Bowling Green well. Nice town. I guess what I dont understand is they were at the epitome for WR's, work hard, earn your PT and see great results......Hyatt is a perfect example.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldVolMan
So is it Keyton/Thornton at one WR, Bru at the other, and squirrel in the slot?

No slot Squirrel! Send him out toward the goal line every time. The guy is just too small and fragile for slot ball. He'd get killed catching across the middle, totally wrecked and scrapped. He should be treated as Hyatt 2.0. As for slot, let it be one of the big boys who can take the hits.

Reactions: HalfullVol

VN Store

Back