Transfer wide receiver commits to Tennessee - Dont'e Thornton-

I see Thorton as a guy who comes in and gives us 700+ yards and 7-8 TD's next year then blows up in 2024 and is an all sec type WR. He has good speed at 6'5, Huepel will find a way to maximize his raw potential by the time he leaves here. He has a HIGH ceiling.
Thats a big expectation... Unless he flat beats out Keyton for a spot I don't see those numbers. I'd say a more realistic expectation would be about half that. He is gonna be competing with Keyton and McCoy for snaps and this coaching staff thus far really only plays like a 4 WR rotation outside of injuries. So unless Milton is throwing like 300 a game that 3rd and 4th guy are gonna be sitting around 4-600 yards.

Thats a big expectation... Unless he flat beats out Keyton for a spot I don't see those numbers. I'd say a more realistic expectation would be about half that. He is gonna be competing with Keyton and McCoy for snaps and this coaching staff thus far really only plays like a 4 WR rotation outside of injuries. So unless Milton is throwing like 300 a game that 3rd and 4th guy are gonna be sitting around 4-600 yards.
Thornton is good enough to lead the team in receiving and yards. Squirrel will probably lead in TDs

Reactions: Jpcisco

I think Thorton jumps Keyton. By mid-season it's Bru and Thorton outside with Squirrel in the slot and Keyton as the 4th WR. Keyton is a solid WR and a good player but Thorton just had more potential in Tennessee's offense with his frame and speed. I think Keyton starts the year as WR2 but as Thorton gets comfortable, he starts taking Keyton's reps. Just my personal opinion.

The days of the speedy 5' 9" or 10" cornerback are going the way of the dodo bird. JJ McChesney wouldn't get a second look by a P1 program these days.

Not to crap on Merrill, but if that if you look at it as a 1 for 1 switch, it's an upgrade. They could possibly even try and see if there are any 4 receiver sets that would work in the offense, with Squirrel and Thorton on the inside and Keyton (or Leacock/ Nimrod/ Webb) and Bru on the outside. Just imagine trying to cover the slot with Squirrel and Thorton deep and then trying to stop Bru and Keyton on slants at the same time.

VN Store

Back