Game Thread : Lady Vols 80 v Miss State 69 - 6:30pm SECN+

Come on man. Quit lying. You're better than that. Hayes is nowhere near 26 points per game on a career average. She had one season like that at MTSU two years ago when she was completely ball hogging it up. She's never even been close to that playing big girl basketball. Are you like some sort of friend of the family? That would actually explain a lot.
no, not better than that

I'm curious. Are you saying you don't have access to the SEC Network or high-speed internet in the area you live? I ask because I now live in a fairly rural area and, even if our dsl internet is down, I have been able to use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot and have sufficient bandwidth to run my tv, and access SEC+.

Jim
I have access to to ESPN including the remaining two SEC channels, but not SEC + or ESPN + Without paying an extra fee. I do have high-speed internet and can stream stuff like Netflix

I have access to to ESPN including the remaining two SEC channels, but not SEC + or ESPN + Without paying an extra fee. I do have high-speed internet and can stream stuff like Netflix
If you have access to the SEC Network you can access SEC + for no extra cost. All you have to do is download the ESPN app or go to espn.com on a computer and sign in using your tv provider log in. SEC+ does not come through as a regular station through your cable/streaming povider. You can only access it through the ESPN app or WatchESPN on the computer.

Jim

do you have roku?
and is SEC network part of your cable provider's options?
if so,
open the espn app in roku
arrow down until you see "conferences", select SEC
arrow down until you see "on demand"
select something to watch that has "sec+" at the bottom of the icon
select that
if it opens, you have access to sec+,,,if not it will prompt you to go to espn.com/activate and an accompanying 5-6 digit code,,,do this on your phone or home PC or laptop,,,if you enter the code and it accepts it, it will automatically communicate with your tv and play the selected on demand game you chose

if this is successful, you will only have to do this once and you can watch SEC+ games from then on

If you have access to the SEC Network you can access SEC + for no extra cost. All you have to do is download the ESPN app or go to espn.com on a computer and sign in using your tv provider log in. SEC+ does not come through as a regular station through your cable/streaming povider. You can only access it through the ESPN app or WatchESPN on the computer.

Jim
Did that and it does not work. I have talked to ESPN and TDSTV and both say I have to pay For access to them.

They have two SEC channels,. One of them is seldom used. In fact, I can not remember when the second channel has been used. They could start another game earlier if they shorten the time Paul Finebaum is on the air. His show is difficult to watch for more than an hour. In addition the SEC Network was sold as being an opportunity to watch all SEC football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. In addition, they suggested we would be able to watch many of the non revenue sports such as; women’s softball, track, volleyball, tennis and soccer As well as expand the opportunity to expand men’s sports including, baseball, track, and tennis. They seem to have the time to include a number of games on SEC+ and ESPN + at an additional charge. If they can easily broadcast games on the second SEC channel. It is simply another example of ESPN/Disney greed which we as fans are cheated from what we originally purchased. I thought you would understand the view of the fans who can not attend all these games and do not live in the immediate Knoxville area. I am 84 years old and have football season tickets my father first got in 1933. I saw my first Tennessee football game in 1945. I had to listen to basketball games on the 50,000 watt radio stations because there were no station which have a signal strong enough to listen to night games if one lived farther tan 40-50 miles from Knoxville. The technology is available if ESPN respected the fans rather than drive to make billions of $$$.
By the way, when the SEC Network was launched, it had 4 channels listed as being available. Thank for your reply and I hope you have some sympathy for Tennessee sport fans who attempt to enjoy all of our University’s sports teams.

I understand where you're coming from, but a few points I don't think you're fully understanding/considering:

- There were never four SEC Network channels, nor is there a second full-time channel presently. They have the ability to activate one alternate channel when games run long. But it cannot, per the terms of ESPN's agreement with cable and satellite companies, operate as a second full-time channel. It was never sold to cable companies that the overflow channel would carry additional events, nor is it technically possible to do so.

- The SEC Network was indeed sold as an opportunity to watch more SEC football, basketball and other sports. It was not sold as an opportunity to watch ALL games on linear television. You'll never find "all" in any of the promotion materials that ESPN put out.

- Every year the network has existed, it has carried more women's basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer games than were available on all local, regional and national networks combined in last year before the network existed. For example, in 2013-14, the academic year before the SEC Network launched, the previous TV partners, ESPNU, Fox Sports Net and CSS combined to carry 8 soccer matches, 12 volleyball matches and 24 softball games. In its first year, the network more than doubled those numbers and has increased the number of games broadcast in those sports every year.

- The network has also produced live coverage of SEC swimming, track, tennis and golf championships, which had not previously been broadcast at all.

- The SECN+ games are available at NO EXTRA CHARGE to TV subscribers to the linear network. There are no SEC games that are exclusive to the ESPN+ pay-streaming service, they are all also available on SECN+. If you have the SEC Network on your TV and have an internet connection, then you have FREE access to every women's basketball game played at SEC schools. You also have access to a broadcast of every baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer game that take place on SEC schools' campuses.

- As far as basketball and Finebaum, they do routinely shorten his show by an hour in basketball season to air a game at 6 PM. They would LOVE to start games at 5 PM so they could televise games at 5, 7 and 9. But schools are not willing to sacrifice paid attendance by starting games at 5. UT would rather sell 10,000 tickets to a 6:30 game that's SECN+ than sell 6,000 to start when people are just getting off of work in hopes of getting the game on linear TV.

ESPN does not have anything to do with your access. It is between you and your cable provider. If you can watch SEC network on your TV, then it is part of your cable package and you can access SEC+ for free on-line. I (and everyone else) can assure you of this fact. Talk to your cable provider again,. Ask for a manager if necessary.

FYI:

Q: ESPN+ is a paid subscription. Do I have to pay separately to access SEC Network+?
A: No. SEC Network+ is complementary to SEC Network and part of your subscription with your cable, satellite, or streaming provider. Q: If a game is on ESPN+ or SEC Network+, can I watch it on TV? A: SEC Network+ and ESPN+ are not television channels, but they are available via the ESPN App on your TV through connected streaming services and devices. Q: Will the games on SEC Network+ and ESPN+ look any different? A: These games will have the same production value as games across all ESPN networks. For games airing simultaneously on SEC Network+ and ESPN+, both feeds will have the same on-air commentators and game coverage.

Source: About SEC Network/SEC Network+

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Dude GTFOH. Playing "big girl basketball" she was the SEC's Sixth Woman of the Year as a true freshman, and made All-SEC last season. Spoiler alert: Miles will never sniff All-SEC honors in her career here, no matter how many minutes Kellie gives her.

No, I don't know Hayes or her family personally, and I get why fans here don't like her or her game but even her haters are rational enough to recognize the raw talent. Maybe there's a reason you're all alone on an island here, dying badly on your hill. There is no objective measure where Miles is in the same zip code as Hayes as a player. None. Take the L and move on champ...

Even though you're mad about this, and I think you're wrong, I don't dislike you.

Still curious if you're wearing orange tomorrow?

if so do what I wrote:

do you have roku?
and is SEC network part of your cable provider's options?
if so,
open the espn app in roku
arrow down until you see "conferences", select SEC
arrow down until you see "on demand"
select something to watch that has "sec+" at the bottom of the icon
select that
if it opens, you have access to sec+,,,if not it will prompt you to go to espn.com/activate and an accompanying 5-6 digit code,,,do this on your phone or home PC or laptop,,,if you enter the code and it accepts it, it will automatically communicate with your tv and play the selected on demand game you chose

if this is successful, you will only have to do this once and you can watch SEC+ games from then on
and one further note
Google Chrome has trouble with the entering of the code
once entered it will ask you for your provider...if you get blank pages after you enter the code, it may be bc of google-chrome...you will be more successful if you go to espn.com/activate through Microsoft "EDGE"

The problem with getting SEC+ for alot of people is an aversion to using streaming services in general. Unfortunately, that's keeping old school rip off cable alive. Comcast charges about double the price of streaming and gets away with it just bc of people who don't want to use internet streaming for whatever reason.

There is no objective measure where Miles is in the same zip code as Hayes as a player.
IMO they're from exactly the same zip code on offense, just different sides of the tracks. Annie lives in the higher rent district of that code while Miles is struggling to find shelter. But both are the old timey Ivory Latta type undersized guards who drive headlong, throw up a prayer and in Hayes' case, whine comically for a foul. Both are poor outside shooters. Hayes is just alot better at that type game bc she's been doing it for a decade or so. Her prayers occasionally now get answered. Neither has much chance of leading an SEC team to major success with that type one dimensional PG game. It went out with the super long uni shorts.

Miles is probably as good, or better, on defense. Playing D is not exactly a Hayes mindset.

I will say the MSU coach has pulled off a miracle by convincing Hayes Inc that Annie is much more effective as a distributor. Her 11 assists against us was impressive, the best thing I've seen her do on the court. Only took 100 games or so to get her there.

BTW, Annie indeed scored alot at MTSU against the dreaded mid major competition. And yet, RIck Insel couldn't get rid of the whole operation fast enough. Says alot.

Last edited:
Do you have a computer or a streaming device? The SEC+ are streamed live and replayed on watchESPN. If you have access to the SEC Network through your cable provider, you just log in and its free to stream. I am not denying that Disney, like all other media companies, are always looking to monetize but streaming games when they are not broadcast on the SEC Network is not the best example of greed. SEC+ has greatly improved access to LV games for those outside of east Tennessee, particularly for non-conference games.
I have both, but the problem is with my iPad. I have alway had this problem so I bought a new one a couple of months ago. The set up was completed and I still can not get ESPN+ or SEC+. I know I can not get it directly on my Smart TV without streaming it through an additional process. However, I have to get it on the iPad first.

I understand where you're coming from, but a few points I don't think you're fully understanding/considering:

- There were never four SEC Network channels, nor is there a second full-time channel presently. They have the ability to activate one alternate channel when games run long. But it cannot, per the terms of ESPN's agreement with cable and satellite companies, operate as a second full-time channel. It was never sold to cable companies that the overflow channel would carry additional events, nor is it technically possible to do so.

- The SEC Network was indeed sold as an opportunity to watch more SEC football, basketball and other sports. It was not sold as an opportunity to watch ALL games on linear television. You'll never find "all" in any of the promotion materials that ESPN put out.

- Every year the network has existed, it has carried more women's basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer games than were available on all local, regional and national networks combined in last year before the network existed. For example, in 2013-14, the academic year before the SEC Network launched, the previous TV partners, ESPNU, Fox Sports Net and CSS combined to carry 8 soccer matches, 12 volleyball matches and 24 softball games. In its first year, the network more than doubled those numbers and has increased the number of games broadcast in those sports every year.

- The network has also produced live coverage of SEC swimming, track, tennis and golf championships, which had not previously been broadcast at all.

- The SECN+ games are available at NO EXTRA CHARGE to TV subscribers to the linear network. There are no SEC games that are exclusive to the ESPN+ pay-streaming service, they are all also available on SECN+. If you have the SEC Network on your TV and have an internet connection, then you have FREE access to every women's basketball game played at SEC schools. You also have access to a broadcast of every baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer game that take place on SEC schools' campuses.

- As far as basketball and Finebaum, they do routinely shorten his show by an hour in basketball season to air a game at 6 PM. They would LOVE to start games at 5 PM so they could televise games at 5, 7 and 9. But schools are not willing to sacrifice paid attendance by starting games at 5. UT would rather sell 10,000 tickets to a 6:30 game that's SECN+ than sell 6,000 to start when people are just getting off of work in hopes of getting the game on linear TV.
I got the SEC channels the first week it came out. At that time, they listed 4 channels and soon after reduced it to two, A friend who worked at The Apple Store in Knoxville helped me set up the new iPad and knows what he is doing. The fact is, no one has been able to get it to work. I am as frustrated as anyone any look forward to Not missing game which are broadcast ESPN+ and/or SEC+. As I have stated before, I have talked to reps from ESPN And they still tell me I have to purchase ESPN+ for a monthly fee of $9.90.

I got the SEC channels the first week it came out. At that time, they listed 4 channels and soon after reduced it to two, A friend who worked at The Apple Store in Knoxville helped me set up the new iPad and knows what he is doing. The fact is, no one has been able to get it to work. I am as frustrated as anyone any look forward to Not missing game which are broadcast ESPN+ and/or SEC+. As I have stated before, I have talked to reps from ESPN And they still tell me I have to purchase ESPN+ for a monthly fee of $9.90.
Do you have a smart phone or laptop? You should be able to get the ESPN app on either or both if the ipad is a no go. I get SEC+ on both thru the reg ESPN app at no extra charge. Also, maybe look into cutting that cable cord. I think that might be the root of the problem.

Just for cost comparison. My Christmas gift to my brother was Roku. NFL plus Premium for a year, Prime (Thursday night games) for a year. All of that was less than adding the NFL channel to his regular cable.

Without knowing what brand of smart tv you have, I might suggest that you invest $30.00 and purchase a Roku Express 4k to connect by hdmi to your smart tv. I have a friend in Knoxville who has an LG Smart Tv who did that because he wanted to start using YouTube TV rather than cable which wasn't compatible with their tv. They are also Apple fans and have no problem getting SEC+ using the Roku.

Jim

Without knowing what brand of smart tv you have, I might suggest that you invest $30.00 and purchase a Roku Express 4k to connect by hdmi to your smart tv. I have a friend in Knoxville who has an LG Smart Tv who did that because he wanted to start using YouTube TV rather than cable which wasn't compatible with their tv. They are also Apple fans and have no problem getting SEC+ using the Roku.

Jim
This is the best way to get all the games if you have wifi then with the roku stick you can just download the ESPN app and it has all the games for SEC plus and SEC as well or any other channel that you have in your cable package. Adding ESPN+ is extra but Disney has a deal where you can have it the Disney premium channel and HULU for one price.

Content on ESPN+ is something you have to pay for but not SEC+. So, you should keep those two options separate. To my knowledge, no LVs game have been on ESPN+. They broadcast a lot of soccer. boxing, and UFC fights.

With the cable market collapsing, there is an expectation that Disney will spin off ESPN and when that happens, it will likely leave cable altogether and become full time streaming service or in other words just ESPN+.

Last edited:
The problem with getting SEC+ for alot of people is an aversion to using streaming services in general. Unfortunately, that's keeping old school rip off cable alive. Comcast charges about double the price of streaming and gets away with it just bc of people who don't want to use internet streaming for whatever reason.

IMO they're from exactly the same zip code on offense, just different sides of the tracks. Annie lives in the higher rent district of that code while Miles is struggling to find shelter. But both are the old timey Ivory Latta type undersized guards who drive headlong, throw up a prayer and in Hayes' case, whine comically for a foul. Both are poor outside shooters. Hayes is just alot better at that type game bc she's been doing it for a decade or so. Her prayers occasionally now get answered. Neither has much chance of leading an SEC team to major success with that type one dimensional PG game. It went out with the super long uni shorts.

Miles is probably as good, or better, on defense. Playing D is not exactly a Hayes mindset.

I will say the MSU coach has pulled off a miracle by convincing Hayes Inc that Annie is much more effective as a distributor. Her 11 assists against us was impressive, the best thing I've seen her do on the court. Only took 100 games or so to get her there.

BTW, Annie indeed scored alot at MTSU against the dreaded mid major competition. And yet, RIck Insel couldn't get rid of the whole operation fast enough. Says alot.

Annie Hayes is on pace to be the first D1 athlete to draw social security before her eligibility is up. She has been playing forever. I am guessing her parents found the endless eligibility clause in the NCAA rule book. I think she may have played against Ivory......

I am glad you spoke up for Miles, I am not sure why or how she got drug into the swampy thread but she has good potential, She is a ferocious defender and I look for her overall game to continue improving,. She is only a sophomore whereas Hayes, is a like 16th year senior.

Last edited:
Content on ESPN+ is something you have to pay for but not SEC+. So, you should keep those two options separate. To my knowledge, no LVs game have been on ESPN+. They broadcast a lot of soccer. boxing, and UFC fights.

With the cable market collapsing, there is an expectation that Disney will spin off ESPN and when that happens, it will likely leave cable altogether and become full time streaming service or in others just ESPN+.
I think you are correct. Let it happen sooner rather than later.

The thing most encouraging to me about this game today was the passing and patience to find the open person which often turned into a layup or a 3 pointer.Today they looked more like a team offensively than any time this year no matter who was in the game.Rebounding was also a very big plus especially on the offensive end.

One thing I noticed on rewatch was how often they made 3, 4 or 5 passes without the ball ever hitting the ground. It's the offensive movement we've been dreaming about for years, but I'm a little surprised the turnaround happened so fast. Talent matters! Took awhile to knit it together but once we did . . .

Even though you're mad about this,

I'm absolutely furious, but I'll try to find a way to move on.

You and zip code can't seem to wrap your heads around the distinction between a "shooter" and a "scorer." Again, whether you like the way Hayes plays or not, the gulf between her and Miles as scoring threats is so vast this entire debate is absurd.

That's why Purcell is such a genius to give his best offensive weapon, a proven scorer at the SEC level, 8 shots a game. Almost as brilliant as bringing your best offensive weapon off the bench. I see these two great coaching minds going far in March with such bold strategies...

spiderman-gotcha.gif

They have two SEC channels,. One of them is seldom used. In fact, I can not remember when the second channel has been used. They could start another game earlier if they shorten the time Paul Finebaum is on the air. His show is difficult to watch for more than an hour. In addition the SEC Network was sold as being an opportunity to watch all SEC football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. In addition, they suggested we would be able to watch many of the non revenue sports such as; women’s softball, track, volleyball, tennis and soccer As well as expand the opportunity to expand men’s sports including, baseball, track, and tennis. They seem to have the time to include a number of games on SEC+ and ESPN + at an additional charge. If they can easily broadcast games on the second SEC channel. It is simply another example of ESPN/Disney greed which we as fans are cheated from what we originally purchased. I thought you would understand the view of the fans who can not attend all these games and do not live in the immediate Knoxville area. I am 84 years old and have football season tickets my father first got in 1933. I saw my first Tennessee football game in 1945. I had to listen to basketball games on the 50,000 watt radio stations because there were no station which have a signal strong enough to listen to night games if one lived farther tan 40-50 miles from Knoxville. The technology is available if ESPN respected the fans rather than drive to make billions of $$$.
By the way, when the SEC Network was launched, it had 4 channels listed as being available. Thank for your reply and I hope you have some sympathy for Tennessee sport fans who attempt to enjoy all of our University’s sports teams.

“I am 84 years old and have football season tickets my father first got in 1933. I saw my first Tennessee football game in 1945. I had to listen to basketball games on the 50,000 watt radio stations because there were no station which have a signal strong enough to listen to night games if one lived farther tan 40-50 miles from Knoxville.”

That’s cool!

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back