The Official Tennessee Titans thread IV

Yeah but did you see a BIG difference?

Yall are acting like I said

"Dobbs is as good as Tannehill"

There just wasn't a big difference

That game looked like almost every other Titans game when RT started all year.

You're not outright saying it but you're dancing all around it.

I'd say that there are 4 elite QB's in the 2022 NFL season - Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, and Joe Burrow. That's it. Some seasons, there are fewer than that.

Do you think we move on from Tannehill after this season or wait one more? A lot of money tied up in him.

The next GM has his work cut out for him. Only way to course correct this roster is to make some painful cuts/trades.

Do you think we move on from Tannehill after this season or wait one more? A lot of money tied up in him.

The next GM has his work cut out for him. Only way to course curvy this roster is to make some painful cuts/trades.

Given how Willis has looked, I would say it’s unlikely they move on from RT. Draft another QB and let him study. Or stick with Willis at 2 which I don’t see as being a good idea but could still happen.

Given how Willis has looked, I would say it’s unlikely they move on from RT. Draft another QB and let him study. Or stick with Willis at 2 which I don’t see as being a good idea but could still happen.
I honestly think with our roster woes we almost have to wait and see with Willis. He's a cheap backup already locked in. Would have to purge him, take his hit and overpay on the market or waste a draft pick on another backup.

Reactions: Vol8188
Have you actually bothered to watch games or even look at stats this season? Jalen Hurts is a potential MVP candidate this year.

You’re confusing stats and play. Hurts has stats, because he has the best supporting cast in the league. Being the best and having the best stats aren’t the same thing. Especially not over such a small sample size.

Baker Mayfield should be proof enough of that.

I just don't see that happening now, if for nothing else he's not good enough to be a #2.

Dobbs can play his way to #2 next week.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
You’re confusing stats and play. Hurts has stats, because he has the best supporting cast in the league. Being the best and having the best stats aren’t the same thing. Especially not over such a small sample size.

Baker Mayfield should be proof enough of that.
You're embarrassing yourself in this discussion, but please continue. You're good at it.

Reactions: Vol8188
You're not outright saying it but you're dancing all around it.
Yeah not really. Tannehill is better, but Dobbs just didn't look that far off. He didn't look like Green Bay Tannehill or 2019/2020 Tannehill. But it was comparable to several RT games over the last two years with Downing and inconsistent receiver play.

Reactions: Rockytoptalker
For what he had to work with and without, I thought Dobbs did well. Would love to see Tennessee keep him around.

Last edited:
The Titans downplayed Dobbs performance last night in Vrabs and their website's comments. That is either strategic or stupid. They both said he did some good things and some he wished he had back. Brilliant. Like that isn't true every game by every QB. I promise you other NFL teams had eyes on that game last night. So acting like it wasn't all that great and no big deal after 8 days of practice while trotting Willis out there previously is not fooling anybody.

The entire world knew Dobbs had nothing to work with. The O-line was exactly like I predicted - worse than awful. Woods and Burks were adequate, but unprofessional with drops and falling down. RB by committee worked OK. The officials were one sided for Dallas and it was blatantly obvious. The most blatant were uncalled PI's on the Cowboys while calling the same things on the Titans. The absolute worst was calling Rice for landing on Dak trying for a sack when Dak's arm helped pull him on top, while a series or two later they don't call it when Dobbs gets smoked and driven into the ground even worse. Disgusting. The NFL and the officials are not fooling anybody either.

Yet, just like PV posted, it looked like every other game they have played with Tannehill at QB the second half of the season, with half the starters out. At least Tanney had Henry at RB and a couple starters in the O-line. So let's see what happens with more starters back in Jacksonville with more time to learn and practice the O. Nobody has to decide anything until after that. If Dobbs plays well, it should be a major clue to even the dense heads in the Titans. If he doesn't, he's not the guy to even play second fiddle.

But what I saw last night tells me he is the guy to play at least second fiddle with this org. His mobility and arm are more than adequate. His intelligence is off the charts. He's a great teammate and rep to the fans. He just needs playing time to settle in and stop pressing, and now he is finally getting it.

Vol fans have a QB from their past that played a great second fiddle and ended up in the first seat when the starter was injured quite a bit in the NFL in Pat Ryan. I see Josh fitting that role really well even if he never gets "da man" role somewhere.

The Titans downplayed Dobbs performance last night in Vrabs and their website's comments. That is either strategic or stupid. They both said he did some good things and some he wished he had back. Brilliant. Like that isn't true every game by every QB. I promise you other NFL teams had eyes on that game last night. So acting like it wasn't all that great and no big deal after 8 days of practice while trotting Willis out there previously is not fooling anybody.

The entire world knew Dobbs had nothing to work with. The O-line was exactly like I predicted - worse than awful. Woods and Burks were adequate, but unprofessional with drops and falling down. RB by committee worked OK. The officials were one sided for Dallas and it was blatantly obvious. The most blatant were uncalled PI's on the Cowboys while calling the same things on the Titans. The absolute worst was calling Rice for landing on Dak trying for a sack when Dak's arm helped pull him on top, while a series or two later they don't call it when Dobbs gets smoked and driven into the ground even worse. Disgusting. The NFL and the officials are not fooling anybody either.

Yet, just like PV posted, it looked like every other game they have played with Tannehill at QB the second half of the season, with half the starters out. At least Tanney had Henry at RB and a couple starters in the O-line. So let's see what happens with more starters back in Jacksonville with more time to learn and practice the O. Nobody has to decide anything until after that. If Dobbs plays well, it should be a major clue to even the dense heads in the Titans. If he doesn't, he's not the guy to even play second fiddle.

But what I saw last night tells me he is the guy to play at least second fiddle with this org. His mobility and arm are more than adequate. His intelligence is off the charts. He's a great teammate and rep to the fans. He just needs playing time to settle in and stop pressing, and now he is finally getting it.

Vol fans have a QB from their past that played a great second fiddle and ended up in the first seat when the starter was injured quite a bit in the NFL in Pat Ryan. I see Josh fitting that role really well even if he never gets "da man" role somewhere.
It's honestly true though. Dobbs put the ball on the ground twice, threw a pick and should've thrown a second one. Those are massive mistakes that coaches aren't going to overlook. Then you can talk about him trying to force things into windows when he should've thrown the ball away. He's better than Willis but pretending he's anything other than average is just lying to yourself.

Reactions: Kicker82
Cutting Tannehill will save 17.8m and include 18.8m cap penalty. Here’s some guys I’d love to see us bring in for that price:

Mac Jones (4.2m)
Baker Mayfield
Zack Wilson (9.5m)
Daniel Jones

I know many will say “they suck, why would we want them”. That’s the point. Each player has high end caliber traits (that’s why they went so high), but currently playing at a low level. So it’s a boom or bust kinda move. Either we hit big and get a talented young QB for cheap. Or they completely fail (likely) and we take a shot at a Caleb Williams or Drake May kinda player next season in the draft.

Alternative option (less likely):
Sign Brady for 17.8m (Vrabel connection), draft Q Johnston, invest in the oline (using money saved from Lewan, Cunningham, Jones, and Dupree) in free agency, and see if he’s enough with our defense to make a deep run.

Edit: Add Jordon Love as a QB option

Last edited:
My thoughts on Dobbs and the Titans in general after sleeping on it.

Titans were about what I thought they would be last night, gritty but outclassed. I thought McCreary was pretty solid considering he was asked to take on an extremely difficult role as a rookie, he simply isn't a #1 corner but was in position as usual is. He made some good plays, committed a couple of penalties but I thought a couple more were called that shouldn't have been.
He's going to be a solid 2 or 3 corner for us.

Dobbs did some things I liked, he didn't take care of the ball as well as I'd hoped but given he's been on the roster for no time he's not going to have a great feel for the offense and the receivers. All things considered he was solid not great.

Titans are going to have to make some tough decisions this off-season. They need to get a GM in place as soon as possible to start prepping and charting the course this franchise is going to take in is rebuild.

Cutting Tannehill will save 17.8m and include 18.8m cap penalty. Here’s some guys I’d love to see us bring in for that price:

Mac Jones (4.2m)
Baker Mayfield
Zack Wilson (9.5m)
Daniel Jones

I know many will say “they suck, why would we want them”. That’s the point. Each player has high end caliber traits (that’s why they went so high), but currently playing at a low level. So it’s a boom or bust kinda move. Either we hit big and get a talented young QB for cheap. Or they completely fail (likely) and we take a shot at a Caleb Williams or Drake May kinda player next season in the draft.

Sign Brady for 17.8m (Vrabel connection), draft Q Johnston, invest in the oline (using money saved from Lewan, Cunningham, Jones, and Dupree) in free agency, and see if he’s enough with our defense to make a deep run.

Jones is the only one on that list I'd give a shot to.

Jones is the only one on that list I'd give a shot to.

All have high end talent, or they wouldn’t have been taken so high. They just haven’t shown it at this level. I think they’re all worth a shot, just depends who they think fits the scheme best and has the highest ceiling.

But I think this is what our strategy should be. Boom or bust.

Mac Jones (4.2m)
Baker Mayfield
Zack Wilson (9.5m)
Daniel Jones

This post is stunning. Your 4 options for replacement QB's are all garbage. You must enjoy being a fan of a team with no offense. Then you throw Tom Brady out there. Tom Brady might take Vrabel out to dinner to celebrate their "connection". There is ZERO chance that Tom Brady is going to play for a team next year that has a poor offensive line and really weak receivers. ZERO.

VN Store

Back