Game Thread: Lady Vols 77 vs Florida Gators 67

No I think players who have been publically punished should have an opportunity to get out of the doghouse.

Also, if a player with RJ's obvious talent, easily the best in the gym most games, doesn't start, it begs explanation. Beyond punishment.
Well, its a good thing Kellie makes that 7 figure paycheck and not you. No on here knows what Kellie and Rickea have discussed or if Rickea just said if this is better for the team no problem. That is a discussion between coach staff and players that stays in the locker room. Rickea also just said something on social media about not believing everything you hear on social media. If she was unhappy, she could have just left this team and played pro in Europe the winter. Speculation is just that; speculation............

Agree to disagree. If you take my toy away as punishment, it's still punishment until you give it back. Unless I agree I don't want it or need it. Not starting her looks either stubborn or too cute by half.

As for the argument that coming off the bench is working, just think how much more it would be working given more, and earlier, opportunity.
Puts pressure on her in the bigger games to to cut the lead if we get down early.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
[QUOTE="Dak1219, post: 22254084, member: 75062". Speculation is just that; speculation............[/QUOTE]
No sh*t.

And this is just a fan forum where we speculate and give opinion. Fully aware we have no real influence. That's the deal, the way I understand it.

Seriously, one of the reasons I want RJ to start is to help get JH off to a good start. If RJ starts tonight, JH has a different first half. She's a different player when she does not have pressure to score by herself.

I may not be a genius but any time you have a player that can score 28 and rebound 9 , they should be starting and not coming off the bench.
Kea wasn't jumping up and shouting hallelujah when asked bout it during the post game ' player of the game' shimmy. But I know what she wanted to say.

Agree to disagree. If you take my toy away as punishment, it's still punishment until you give it back. Unless I agree I don't want it or need it. Not starting her looks either stubborn or too cute by half.

As for the argument that coming off the bench is working, just think how much more it would be working given more, and earlier, opportunity.
Really simple. Did we win tonight? How was our atart against Stanford? Why not trust the Coach,

Really simple. Did we win tonight? How was our atart against Stanford? Why not trust the Coach,
Hmm, how was our start tonight? One of the reasons I feel so strongly about this is bc our start tonight was so so bad. And did we win against Stanford? The result has been inconsistent, which is why I question the coach (on a meaningless fan forum). It is simple. Let's have the strongest start available to us. We have two of the best players in the country, both hard to defend. Let's break the spirit and back of the other team early and often. Why do we go out of our way not to do that?

Last edited:
I don’t know the situation about RJ starting or not ? But I just listened to two broadcasters (from Florida ) who praised every player and the bench for how good of a player they all were …..: It was really sickening to hear all of the accolades of everyone of the Florida players. !!!!!

However , their final statement before ending their game summary was …… Rickea Jackson should be starting and playing more with Horston ! If the enemy can see what should happen in ONE GAME ? Just Saying 🤷‍♂️

I don’t know the situation about RJ starting or not ? But I just listened to two broadcasters (from Florida ) who praised every player and the bench for how good of a player they all were …..: It was really sickening to hear all of the accolades of everyone of the Florida players. !!!!!

However , their final statement before ending their game summary was …… Rickea Jackson should be starting and playing more with Horston ! If the enemy can see what should happen in ONE GAME ? Just Saying 🤷‍♂️
Why mot trust the coach? Things are going really well right now but all everybody is doing is complaining. Certainly everybody is entitled to their opinion. Kellie did great job coaching today and had in the right lineup down the stretch. Think Kellie sees how well RJ coming off the bench is working and does not want to change starting lineup. Agree or disagree with her but it is a logical view and yet people who admit they do not know what is going on insist Kellie change her starting lineup. Why not trust the Coach?

We won. The enemy lost. Maybe you or Florida' announcer both can apply for Kellie's job if she gets fired,!

Whew, I am glad to win this game. We revisited our old turnover bugaboo but did not collapse emotionally like last year when the pressure was on. A couple of side-note observations:
1. Some questioned why Jordan Walker played so much, but I thought her defense was by far the best of all the guards and this likely contributed to the best +/- stat on the team (+15).
2. Jill is still really green and erratic. I love her potential, but she is surprisingly not better than Striplin on defense yet due to her fouling too quickly and often not being in good position.
3. Franklin is working towards possibly being an eventual starter except for when we play teams with dominant tall centers. She was the only player that did well in both the +/- stat and the efficiency stat. She only played a few minutes, so this is the player I believe needs more minutes. She has the experience and the heart of a warrior.
4. Powell needs to get back to the main reason why she was such a potentially good fit for the team. She needs to be a point guard who prioritizes assists, which she has a history of doing. The last few games this has been missing just as much as her shooting touch.
5. One really positive thing was that every time Rickea did one of her amazing scores, all her teammates seemed genuinely excited. One play elicited a body bump between Rickea and each of the other 4 players. Glad there were no bump injuries :p. The team seems to be coming together.

Next up...Alabama = has won ten games in a row!!!

Our third game in six days.

Hope Su is back

These athletes could play every other day all year long. I think the coaches suffer the most on a short turn around. That's a lot of game prep that you have to get to your players in time for them to digest it.

2 all American caliber players on the same team that are likely going top 8 in the draft. (Please take the Covid year ladies if you’re reading this and play at Tennessee.). They should be on the court together and starting for a whole host of reasons. Primarily, if they wanna make a deep run into the post season, they need to get their timing together when they are on court at the same time. The effect of 2 All-Americans on the court should not be additive, the rise should be dramatic improvement as the entire team gets better looks and better movement causes defenses to shift and get burned. Second, sets the tone for the entire game: crappy swat and slap defenses get burned with better spacing and cutting while covering 2 stars. That means less TOs, more chance of superstars getting the calls they deserve instead of letting Florida set the tone with a bunch of slap and grab style play daring the refs to call them. By the time Rickea gets in she gets bodied on the drive, hit on the upper arm, slapped on the forearm and wrist and a tiny bit of ball-the result, clean block celebrated by Florida and the obviously blind commentator. Tamari Key would’ve gotten 3 fouls for that same block attempt. Example 2, game established and Jillian drives baselin and got shoved out of bounds with 2 hands like a blocking drill, and she was called out of bounds. I still support Kellie, but I am really beginning to question what she is trying to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prophet1
Thirdly, Jordan Horston should be able to get going earlier and easier. Against Florida they could Key in on her and play token defense on the rest of the team.

Reactions: glv98
[QUOTE="Dak1219, post: 22254084, member: 75062". Speculation is just that; speculation............
No sh*t.

And this is just a fan forum where we speculate and give opinion. Fully aware we have no real influence. That's the deal, the way I understand it.

Seriously, one of the reasons I want RJ to start is to help get JH off to a good start. If RJ starts tonight, JH has a different first half. She's a different player when she does not have pressure to score by herself.[/QUOTE]

That was tonite... JH has been able to get off to a good start with Rickea on the bench in most other games

I want Rickea to start because I think she earned it back. I also want her to start because I hate this is a conversation still. Our team finally showed some mental toughness and are continuing to gel and we are still talking about Rickea starting after she had a great scoring night.

I think she will be back in the lineup but if she has learned her lesson, keeps stepping up, playing defense like she is, and being coachable her draft stock is going to continue to rise because WNBA coaches are watching how she is impacting the game in this situation.

Reactions: Raebo

VN Store

Back