Drew Pember getting some love on ESPN

Helton1

Love to see it. ESPN did a college basketball fantasy draft and Pember was the 24th pick.

“Yes, he's my mid-major guy, but he's so much more than that. Pember is a 6-10 star who has connected on 42% of his 3s this season. Overall, he's averaging 20.3 PPG, 9.3 RPG and 2.7 SPG. Pember is a force. And he'll come off my bench ready to do some damage. You might not know him now. But he's the real deal.”

Attachments

• 7E00DBB5-A1A6-4151-A605-D6585A67230E.png
    7E00DBB5-A1A6-4151-A605-D6585A67230E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 317
I hate the way things unfolded when he was recruited here.

Right after the PB and J Era, brought in a bunch of new guys and he got buried because he wasn't ready which is understandable

Would love to have have bac here for a season. Always knew he was talented.

Makes you wonder just how good Rick is at evaluating (and exploiting) the talent on his roster.
He definitely should not have let this one slip away.
We sure could use that 20 points per game this season.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder just how good Rick is at evaluating (and exploiting) the talent on his roster.

I’d say he has a pretty good record at both those things.

Pember didn’t do anything with the minutes he got here (albeit limited).

But at Asheville he has had a chance to play and develop. We’ve been top 15 competitive for the last several years now. You gotta contribute quick or some other 4 or 5 star player is waiting in the wings behind you. I think it’s just an example of how smaller school was better for Drew’s development trajectory.

I’d say he has a pretty good record at both those things.

Pember didn’t do anything with the minutes he got here (albeit limited).

But at Asheville he has had a chance to play and develop. We’ve been top 15 competitive for the last several years now. You gotta contribute quick or some other 4 or 5 star player is waiting in the wings behind you. I think it’s just an example of how smaller school was better for Drew’s development trajectory.

This. Best choice for him.

His stat line vs SEC team was not impressive

How many minutes did he average here? Not many.

I remember watching video of the guy when he signed with us, and one could tell that he had talent and potential--moved well for his size, nice shooting motion. It's hard to develop if you're not getting the minutes needed to develop

Reactions: walkenvol
Kid is talented no doubt. But the level of competition and talent is drastically different in the Big South than the SEC. They played Arkansas other night and was held to 5 points and 1-7 shooting. Issues with SEC is that he would face this type of talent all season on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Some of you really think Pember would be doing this well here? Arizona and Kansas is a little different than ETSU and SC upstate(or whoever they play). He would be still coming off the bench in the last few minutes of a blowout if he was still here.

Congrats to Pember for landing at a place where he will find success.

I always liked Drew Pember. Just had a certain bounce to him.

As I recall, is he somewhat playing with one eye? Can't remember if he is blind in one eye, or has some damage. May be mixing him up with someone else.

I agree with Pember’s transfer being the right move for him. All players need ample live game minutes to fully develop and Pember was able to get those at a lower level such that he’s more developed now and might could earn solid minutes at a P5 school as a grad transfer. If our roster is such that we have opportunities as a stretch 4 then I hope he considers coming back to Knoxville to finish his college career!

Some of you really think Pember would be doing this well here? Arizona and Kansas is a little different than ETSU and SC upstate(or whoever they play). He would be still coming off the bench in the last few minutes of a blowout if he was still here.

I think a lot of us think he could be here averaging 6-8 ppg and 3-4 rpg. Tyreke Key came from mid major and has been a solid role player.

Kid is talented no doubt. But the level of competition and talent is drastically different in the Big South than the SEC. They played Arkansas other night and was held to 5 points and 1-7 shooting. Issues with SEC is that he would face this type of talent all season on a regular basis.
Even an extra 5 points would help our offense.

Ok...I'll play along and "wonder" for a moment. Here are Drew's stats from real competition:

1672067170012.png

lmao

This has to be the lamest attempt to bash CRB yet but I guess desperate people do desperate things and CRB keeps proving you guys wrong.
Fahr CRB!!!

Not really.

I'm glad for Pember but he's did nothing with the time he was given here and he's doing it now against weaker competition. Also, sometimes just a change of scenario is best for a player. He went from a place that had decently high expectations to a place that, let's be honest, has zero expectations.

I'm pretty sure even the Special one doesn't actually believe he would, just wants to troll.

Even an extra 5 points would help our offense.

"Even a +/- of -4.7 would help our team but CRB sux at evaluating talent" - Special Ed

lmao

Based on this "logic" I guess CRB should also be fahred for not immediately contacting Drew's teammate Jamon right after he played against UNC last year (the game in which Drew had the worst +/- of ANY player with 10 or more minutes played...lol).

1672067349026.png

Did you you happen to see him against Arkansas last week? He’s not an SEC guy.

Reactions: Special Ed
Happy Drew's having success at UNC-Asheville, and wish him nothing but the best in post-college bball.

However, as many have said, he's not an SEC-level player. Additionally, I believe a lack of toughness (perceived or real) and a refusal to make real attempts at putting on weight at the staff's request sealed his fate with Barnes.

Interesting to me how this turned into a bashing session (and defense of) for both Rick and Drew. I think what happened for Drew is EXACTLY what both parties hoped would happen. Drew has the opportunity to play and develop a little. I'm quite confident no one is more pleased and happier for him than Coach Rick Barnes. A PERFECT move for Drew and the Vols.

I’m pretty sure you’re clueless about basketball. Sometimes it’s better to not speak than to speak and remove all doubt. That‘s not intended as a personal observation about you, but it does speak to your basketball knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: therickbol
Pember could definitely help Tennessee. Obviously he would not average 20 a game. He is a good spot up shooter which is always needed.

Reactions: Special Ed

VN Store

Back