Game Thread - Tennessee Lady Vols vs #2 Shady Trees & Referees

If we play like we did yesterday we will be fine. Our posts are going to he fine in most games and the way we have cut down turnovers is a huge plus for this team. I don't know if Kellie views it as RJ or SP starts. If so that is a dilemma because SP has been a bright spot. On another note I still do not understand how that one flat shot of Striplin went in the basket. I do t think it banked but it was so flat and it appeared to go right in the basket. Did she get fouled on that shot ? Did it bank in?

That was a great shot! LOL! She had ball, spun to go up to shoot, and then realized she had a really tall girl w/long arms defending her. I think it shocked her.

So, she must of thought the girl was going to block it and was trying to just pass it off backboard of something. It was amazing that it was line drive that when right in perfectly. Like, near no arch.

I think the team is better when Karo is in there for 20-25 minutes per game.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
My question to Coach Harper if I was in the media. Why can't your team efficiently take the last shot when the clock is under thirty seconds. They always shoot to soon and no reason to do it. Even if we miss a bad shot for sure the other team is not getting one at all. This has hurt us shooting to early in the clock it has to stop.
And that has been happening for YEARSSSSSS!

That was a great shot! LOL! She had ball, spun to go up to shoot, and then realized she had a really tall girl w/long arms defending her. I think it shocked her.

So, she must of thought the girl was going to block it and was trying to just pass it off backboard of something. It was amazing that it was line drive that when right in perfectly. Like, near no arch.

I think the team is better when Karo is in there for 20-25 minutes per game.
iknow karoline kept brink out of the paint. before ghost calls from set striplane to the bench. she was not only lady who that happen to.

Been looking for point guard play since Kellie got here still looking for point guard play. We have point guards that think they are scorers first and passers second. Would be nice to have an elite scoring point guard we don't have one.
Cambridge will be playing elsewhere it looks like, so we are still at "Been looking for point guard play since Kellie got here still looking for point guard play"

Cambridge will be playing elsewhere it looks like, so we are still at "Been looking for point guard play since Kellie got here still looking for point guard play"

I had hope for Powell this year.

Maybe use the break to turn Jordy into our point guard.

Poor Jordy...we need her for a lot. But, she is in fantastic shape.

Did anyone understand the discussion yesterday of how she added 20 pounds between sophomore and junior season? Then she lost it?
That story really lost me...

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I had hope for Powell this year.

Maybe use the break to turn Jordy into our point guard.

Poor Jordy...we need her for a lot. But, she is in fantastic shape.

Did anyone understand the discussion yesterday of how she added 20 pounds between sophomore and junior season? Then she lost it?
That story really lost me...
They were discussing her increase in vertical. They questioned if there was a zero mark for the vertical when she came in. They did agree there was probably a net value gain when last measured.

playing like we did today will get you a win over MOST TEAMS. it’ll keep you close with teams like south carolina and stanford. we’re coming along - slow and steady i presume.
I agree! This team played like a top 5 team today. They just didn’t hang tough and fight when Stanford made their run. We need a confidence boost win. This team has what it takes to win big. It’s going to take a lot of toughness, composure and big play moments to win it all.

Foul Lady Vols!
Foul Lady Vols!
Foul Lady Vols!
Foul Lady Vols!
TYBURSKI-1-1594839000.jpg

If I blow this whistle, Brink might have to go the bench again....I know, Foul Lady Vols!
mike_eades.jpg

On another note I still do not understand how that one flat shot of Striplin went in the basket. I do t think it banked but it was so flat and it appeared to go right in the basket. Did she get fouled on that shot ? Did it bank in?

Laser-guided. Karo instinctively read the defense and immediately activated the ALCM embedded weapons system chip.

Brink is known to be foul prown, but suddenly against the Lady Vols she is not capable of fouling anyone in the last quarter....She bodied several girls on her blocks, but no problem for her, she was immune to being whistled.

Pure Horse manure...
cam1.jpg

Example 1: Stevie Wonder can see that Brink bumps RJ with body as she dribbles across the lane.

Part of me wishes Rickea had just gone ahead and knocked her teeth out. AmIwRoNg?

Reactions: Govols922 and Lucy
Part of me wishes Rickea had just gone ahead and knocked her teeth out. AmIwRoNg?
Wrongie McWrongster! Yes Brink fouled her on the drive. Yep Punky Brinkster barked first. But if Rickea had knocked teeth or anything similar, it would probably have been the end of her LV career. No part of me wants that. Kudos to RJ for keeping her cool.

Wrongie McWrongster! Yes Brink fouled her on the drive. Yep Punky Brinkster barked first. But if Rickea had knocked teeth or anything similar, it would probably have been the end of her LV career. No part of me wants that. Kudos to RJ for keeping her cool.

Yeah....I know. :(

I'm proud of RJ as well.

If Brink made that move on offense, and RJ bumped her across lane, three whistles would have been blowing.

Very frustrating.

Brink is known to be foul prown, but suddenly against the Lady Vols she is not capable of fouling anyone in the last quarter....She bodied several girls on her blocks, but no problem for her, she was immune to being whistled.

Pure Horse manure...
cam1.jpg
I don't care if the refs it tight or let them play physical just call it the same on both ends of the floor. I always liked a physical game . It was an equalizer for me. I do think the game plan was to try and foul Brink out of the game in the second half and from what I saw she would have had about 6 fouls in the second half alone but the refs protected her. When Kelly saw that they were not going to blow the whistle she should have spread the floor with our 3 point shooters and made Brink a non factor. She went to that late in the game but it was to late. I do believe Kelly is going to have to get T'ed up and let the refs know she is not going to stand for one sided officiating. It would also send a message to the team that she has their back and sees what is going on.

I don't care if the refs it tight or let them play physical just call it the same on both ends of the floor. I always liked a physical game . It was an equalizer for me. I do think the game plan was to try and foul Brink out of the game in the second half and from what I saw she would have had about 6 fouls in the second half alone but the refs protected her. When Kelly saw that they were not going to blow the whistle she should have spread the floor with our 3 point shooters and made Brink a non factor. She went to that late in the game but it was to late. I do believe Kelly is going to have to get T'ed up and let the refs know she is not going to stand for one sided officiating. It would also send a message to the team that she has their back and sees what is going on.

That's my sentiment exactly....Kellie just set there and took all the BS calls....Damn woman, do something besides set there and go, "now what"...Stop the BS early by the refs and this may have been a win....

There was a point we had 4 calls in quick succession and barely touched anyone, while they were knocking our girls around like one of them carnival games, whack a mole...
whac-a-mole.gif

Reactions: UT Challenger
When Jill came into game for first time, she opened with just a terrible series of plays. Unsure if she was nervous or what.

Don't recall exact order, but gave up basket, missed a couple of shots, gave another basket with a foul.

I think she just had a bad day. And, we were correct to limit her minutes yesterday.

But, she will learn and be back from it. We all have bad days.

Jill has the speed and athleticism to play good defense but needs more experience before she can defend the premier post players without constantly fouling them. In some ways, I thought Striklen actually defended her better than Jill, which was a surprise to me. If SC couldn't defend her with the great talent in the post that they have, no one can. I truly think Brink could have a chance at player of the year if she would stop doing stupid fouls (going after the ball when she doesn't need to).

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Jill has the speed and athleticism to play good defense but needs more experience before she can defend the premier post players without constantly fouling them. In some ways, I thought Striklen actually defended her better than Jill, which was a surprise to me. If SC couldn't defend her with the great talent in the post that they have, no one can. I truly think Brink could have a chance at player of the year if she would stop doing stupid fouls (going after the ball when she doesn't need to).

That's why I thought the plan, while a good idea in theory, actually backfired. I believe players such as Brink and Tamari are more foul-prone when they pick up the "silly" foul. Wen players are coming right at them, they seem to be better prepared with better positioning because they know what to expect. It's the out-of-position, over the back, make up reaction for missed shot or turnover, and unnecessary "help" fouls that drive coaches crazy. The common reaction is "Why!!??"

Brink is very good.

Excellent closing statement.

Agree on both points. Jillian's inexperience shows at times. Brink dominated South Carolina as you said. She may not be POY but she will be considered. She has vastly improved over last year. That 3 she hit at end of 3rd quarter totally changed the momentum.

That's my sentiment exactly....Kellie just set there and took all the BS calls....Damn woman, do something besides set there and go, "now what"...Stop the BS early by the refs and this may have been a win....

There was a point we had 4 calls in quick succession and barely touched anyone, while they were knocking our girls around like one of them carnival games, whack a mole...
whac-a-mole.gif
Kellie was all in the officials,all game long. But I agree, a tech somewhere in that stretch would have been sweet!!

Example 1: Stevie Wonder can see that Brink bumps RJ with body as she dribbles across the lane.

Lobo's glad the officials didn't call a technical on that, is such BS....That is a technical foul alone, not counting the big body bump....And Kellie just set there....Defend your girls!

Toward the end of this video Kellie is asked about Brink blocking everything...She said we were going to get our post touches whether she was there or not....The refs are letting Brink do whatever she wants, with no whistle, she is knocking the hell out of the ball and the player, but we are going to get our post touches....

She did not adapt to the situation....Put in your shooters and hit the jumpers...You can't go inside, why can't she see this...If you're going to lose, lose shooting, instead of watching skinny butt smack your team around with the refs blessings..

Last edited:

VN Store

Back