Tough loss at Maples!

Benionsopinion

Today I saw our much maligned coach go toe to toe with a hall of fame coach and show exactly what a coach and competitor she is. If her players had hit some of the short shots they missed and the officials hadn’t swallowed their whistles in the fourth quarter, our Lady Vols might have pulled off the upset. One bad quarter and a 6’5” All American for Stanford spelled the difference in the game. This was a step forward for our Ladies as they continue to get better. But for all naysayers, this game showed that we have an excellent coaching staff that had a good game plan. Going into the SEC season the Lady Vols will continue to improve. Go Lady Vols!a

Today I saw our much maligned coach go toe to toe with a hall of fame coach and show exactly what a coach and competitor she is. If her players had hit some of the short shots they missed and the officials hadn’t swallowed their whistles in the fourth quarter, our Lady Vols might have pulled off the upset. One bad quarter and a 6’5” All American for Stanford spelled the difference in the game. This was a step forward for our Ladies as they continue to get better. But for all naysayers, this game showed that we have an excellent coaching staff that had a good game plan. Going into the SEC season the Lady Vols will continue to improve. Go Lady Vols!a
we got back doored way too many times,that is why we lost

How about when in first half number 53 Hollinshed checked into game and we got a technical because we had put her as number 54 on roster we turned in and they got 2 free throws. You can't make this s--- up

We came in 2nd. Not too shabby.

This sounds like something a Vandy fan would say.

We'll be going into the SEC tourney and some fans will still be saying: "hey, we're starting to get better."
But we are getting better. Even against top notch competition, which was the encouraging bit from today for me.

You can argue that we should have gotten better a whole lot sooner, and if you want to be mad about that the rest of the season that's legit. I think we all wish that had happened. Did anyone say "starting to get better" at this point is good enough? I sure didn't. But fact remains as of today they're definitely playing better and against elite competition.

May be too late for post season success, but defintely getting better. I guess that's preferable to not getting better.

Last edited:
we got back doored way too many times,that is why we lost

Yeah, Tara’s teams have always been particularly good at cutting and getting those sneaky back door layups. And her teams are always masters of timing.

Stanford is a really, really strong and deep team — I would be shocked if they weren’t in the Final Fpur again — and so everyone really should try to appreciate the fact that Tennessee played some top-competitive basketball for the majority of the game.

The Lady Vols were very prepared for this game which gives hope that they will do well come SEC play. What I loved about their play is they did not give in and they did not give up.

The fact that we played them evenly on their home court should be very encouraging. Neutral court may very well have had a different ending.

Think about it. Up by eight with a few seconds left in the 3rd and we have the ball. If the scorebook error isn't made, we're up by 10. A good possession (don't know how much time was left on shot clock), and we could have gone into the fourth up by 12 (or at least 10).

Instead, we're up by eight, have an empty possession, and let Brink take a three to cut the lead to five to end the third. We end up losing the game by 7.

A possession here, an unforced error (lane violation) there, avoidable technical...just a few little things can maje a huge difference.

Saw a lot of positive things today. Disappointed that we lost, but very proud of the effort.

Benchmark game, played/competed for 3 qtrs. Lost in 4th to make us 7-6

Puckett having a solid day helped keep the game closer than expected.

Reactions: fastvol7
Puckett having a solid day helped keep the game closer than expected
Puckett had a solid half and then got forgotten. IMO, they have to make the Puckett>Marta decision and stick to it. They have to let Puckett stay in rythmn. Marta can play if it's apparent Sara is having an off day after prolong playing time.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
How about when in first half number 53 Hollinshed checked into game and we got a technical because we had put her as number 54 on roster we turned in and they got 2 free throws. You can't make this s--- up
That's something that should never happen.
Ultimately, it's the head coach responsibility to double check the score book before the game starts.

Waaay too much talent on this team to be 7 and 6 at this point in the season with that being said they didn't look bad considering the competition and a hostile environment

We've looked worse playing at Maples than the game today, and I'm including games with Candace Parker on our side.

I really thought we'd get creamed today, but as it played out, we could have pulled off an upset.

IMHO, such garbage is inexcusable, but I don't blame the HC. Someone in the coaching staff needs to double check roster for accuracy.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You think CKH put the wrong number in?

How far has the Lady Vols Program fallen, to hear discussions around....close....competitive.....getting better......it is getting bad enuf, Fulmer will be forced to DO something.

Reactions: Big Orange Rob
it is getting bad enuf, Fulmer will be forced to DO something.
Huh? You mean DO something like get out of bed and plan his retirement day?

So you think the discussion of the current team and season should be around how good we use to be a few decades ago?

Last edited:
Nah, some manager. Or as of today, ex-manager. Who is currently making his/her way back from California on foot.

I know you must be joking, because it would take the world's worst head coach to fire a manager for one honest mistake. Even if we'd lost by 1, firing the person would still not the way to handle it. 😳

Reactions: StrangeVol
Huh? You mean DO something like get out of bed and plan his retirement day?

So you think the discussion of the current team and season should be around how good we use to be a few decades ago?

Has nada, zero, nuttin about a few decades ago. It is about winning, developing players and filling the Tommy Bowl with a team willing to work on and off the court. Harper is NOT getting it done. Why bring CPS discussion into this mess! It is hard to watch!!

VN Store

Back