‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

Coleman was another pretty decent college qb that Tennessee fans didn’t appreciate…. He was fourth in the sec in ints his senior year.
He was playing out of position most of his career.

Very good tackler, suspect in pass coverage.

He was a NB...and that's what played in the NFL

Coleman was another pretty decent college qb that Tennessee fans didn’t appreciate…. He was fourth in the sec in ints his senior year.
Pretty decent = average. No one ever expected him to be the highest paid player at his position in the NFL like he ended up being at one point. And do you know why? Because he received mediocre coaching in college from Willie Martinez

Pretty decent = average. No one ever expected him to be the highest paid player at his position in the NFL like he ended up being at one point. And do you know why? Because he received mediocre coaching in college from Willie Martinez
Name the other CBs from Tennessee that have played a major role in the NFL that wasn’t coached by Willie Martinez

You and others are trying way, way, WAY too hard to pin the failures on Martinez rather than where they primarily belong.

Great DC's with weak position groups find ways to cover those deficiencies up. We've seen in several times in just the last few years. Pruitt did a better job of it than is being done now.

Justin Wilcox was excellent at it. Didn't Prentiss Waggner play CB some during that time? The guy ran like a 5.0 40. The DB talent on Wilcox's two rosters was considerably worse than what they're working with now... and he found ways to cover it up with disguises, schemes, and playcalling. How good he truly was became evident the year after he left.

Martinez job is to develop skills and motivate his guys. He doesn't call the plays. He doesn't design the schemes. It was NOT Martinez calling blitzes and then lining CB's up 10-12 yds off the ball.

Martinez may be a problem in ways not obvious to us as fans. But until the problems are resolved at the DC level... we cannot see it.

You’re trying way too hard to sound smart

Reactions: barrylee
You and others are trying way, way, WAY too hard to pin the failures on Martinez rather than where they primarily belong.

Great DC's with weak position groups find ways to cover those deficiencies up. We've seen in several times in just the last few years. Pruitt did a better job of it than is being done now.

Justin Wilcox was excellent at it. Didn't Prentiss Waggner play CB some during that time? The guy ran like a 5.0 40. The DB talent on Wilcox's two rosters was considerably worse than what they're working with now... and he found ways to cover it up with disguises, schemes, and playcalling. How good he truly was became evident the year after he left.

Martinez job is to develop skills and motivate his guys. He doesn't call the plays. He doesn't design the schemes. It was NOT Martinez calling blitzes and then lining CB's up 10-12 yds off the ball.

Martinez may be a problem in ways not obvious to us as fans. But until the problems are resolved at the DC level... we cannot see it.

Yet Wilcox’s defense gave up 25.1 and 22.6 ppg.

Banks gave up 23.5 and that’s with a 49 and 63 pointer averaged in. Whatever the strategy, it seems to work ok.

Yet Wilcox’s defense gave up 25.1 and 22.6 ppg.

Banks gave up 23.5 and that’s with a 49 and 63 pointer averaged in. Whatever the strategy, it seems to work ok.
USCe was an effective strategy? Pitt or Purdue last year?

I'm really not upset that good teams out-talent UT's D right now. I wish he were a defensive mind as brilliant as Heupel is on offense but those are rare. Teams with equal or possibly less talent are finding and exploiting his weaknesses.

Wilcox didn't give up points and yardage to mediocre/bad teams. Banks has. Personally I don't remember Wilcox being flatly outcoached. Banks has been.

I agree that both guys are a problem, but the difference is this fanbase has a huge sample size across multiple staffs and systems that proves Martinez is a bad position coach. Yet people still try to defend him. Whereas our defense has improved in certain aspects with Banks. Also there were times this year where Banks called good game. Outside of a few series against Kentucky I can’t think of a time where our DBs looked good

Name the other CBs from Tennessee that have played a major role in the NFL that wasn’t coached by Willie Martinez
Alonte Taylor and Cam Sutton started as true freshmen in the SEC. They were that talented straight out of HS and neither really improved much under Martinez, and Taylor’s draft stock didn’t really rise until the senior bowl and the combine. Also Emmanuel Moseley seemed to almost be loathed by this fanbase IIRC also and went undrafted. So apparently his play in college wasn’t good enough for teams to consider him. Which was most likely because he wasn’t developed well. So giving him credit for those 3 is a bit of a stretch

Alonte Taylor and Cam Sutton started as true freshmen in the SEC. They were that talented straight out of HS and neither really improved much under Martinez, and Taylor’s draft stock didn’t really rise until the senior bowl and the combine. Also Emmanuel Moseley seemed to almost be loathed by this fanbase IIRC also and went undrafted. So apparently his play in college wasn’t good enough for teams to consider him. Which was most likely because he wasn’t developed well. So giving him credit for those 3 is a bit of a stretch
All of those things are your opinion….. I asked for which DBs have played any kind of significant role in the NFL that wasn’t coached by Martinez?

Man you keep going on and on about this.

Mosley and Sutton had their best years at CB while Martinez was their coach. They both struggled after he left even though they were veterans.

Taylor was not even on the radar for draft until after his senior year. His one year with Martinez.

We don't have a Taylor, Sutton, or Mosley or Thompson out there now PLUS Banks and his bend but don't break defense.

USCe was an effective strategy? Pitt or Purdue last year?

I'm really not upset that good teams out-talent UT's D right now. I wish he were a defensive mind as brilliant as Heupel is on offense but those are rare. Teams with equal or possibly less talent are finding and exploiting his weaknesses.

Wilcox didn't give up points and yardage to mediocre/bad teams. Banks has. Personally I don't remember Wilcox being flatly outcoached. Banks has been.

Yardage doesn’t matter but USCe was a complete failure. Gave up 63 and still averaged the same amount of points given up as the almighty Wilcox

Reactions: LouderVol
I agree that both guys are a problem, but the difference is this fanbase has a huge sample size across multiple staffs and systems that proves Martinez is a bad position coach. Yet people still try to defend him. Whereas our defense has improved in certain aspects with Banks. Also there were times this year where Banks called good game. Outside of a few series against Kentucky I can’t think of a time where our DBs looked good
I think we agree that UT needs more talent, right? Lack of talent cannot help but reflect on a position coach. A good DC will scheme to cover weaknesses. Banks is exposed too frequently and not just by very talented/well coached teams.

PS- I'm not saying that you don't deal with Martinez should it come to it. I'm just saying that you have to deal with the guy designing the scheme, game planning, and calling plays first.

Reactions: LittleVol
Yardage doesn’t matter but USCe was a complete failure. Gave up 63 and still averaged the same amount of points given up as the almighty Wilcox
Am I wrong or didn’t we have like 6 or more DBs injured throughout that game. I think at least 4 were out before the game started counting Burrell. Pretty sure the walk on Wright played significant minutes. Am I remembering wrong?

Also Banks was out and he’s aligned the D all season

Reactions: MarcoVol
Give the stats for this year and last year that backs up Martinez’s ability to coach up our DBs.

It was known in the off-season that we were thin and banged up in the secondary. We lost 2 nfl guys from the secondary. Would you expect the secondary to improve the very next year after that?

Give the stats for this year and last year that backs up Martinez’s ability to coach up our DBs.
I am under the impression that the previous staffs lack of quality DB recruiting plus all the transfers and NCAA investigation led to the situation we are in. I do feel the defense did an overall good job of hiding those deficiencies…. I have posted here several times stats that showed the time that Willie was here before was some of our best pass defense in years.

Correct...Martinez job is to mostly teach techniques and motivate. The cushions are moreso on the DC playcalling/scheme. Whether Banks just didn't have faith in our guys to play tight coverages, we'll never know. Martinez will have more talent in the secondary to work with these next couple of years as will Banks on the overall defense. We'll see how good or bad he is.

I am under the impression that the previous staffs lack of quality DB recruiting plus all the transfers and NCAA investigation led to the situation we are in. I do feel the defense did an overall good job of hiding those deficiencies…. I have posted here several times stats that showed the time that Willie was here before was some of our best pass defense in years.
Better hope your job doesn’t see this. You’re getting a drug test for sure.

VN Store

Back