After 5 Days

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Reflecting on this loss I'm still emotionally drained. I know we have a lot to play for but losing to SCAR the way we did soured this season for me. Before the season if you'd told me we'd be 9-2 going into Vandy I'd be ecstatic . We beat Florida. We'd skull dragged LSU. Hell we FINALLY beat Bama. We were on top of the world. We hit a buzzsaw in Athens but that wasn't shocking. UGA is the champ and we were in there house. Our offense had a bad day and UGA made us pay. No shame in losing if you go down swinging.

Everything was still in front of us. We were in the Playoff hunt in mid November. It was feeling like the 90s once again. I forgot how good it felt seeing TN in the hunt for a NC. What made it even sweeter is NO ONE saw this coming in year 2. No one can turn things around that fast but Heup was doing it. Then Sat happened. We got blown Out by a really bad SCAR team. They beat us in every way. They humbled and humiliated us and once again no one saw it coming. Just like that a shot at the playoffs went puff.

I know yall think I'm dumber than dog s**t saying this season is a failure but I can't make chicken salad out of this chicken s**t. We came out of nowhere and in a blink of an eye we were playoff contenders. We were almost there. Just a couple more steps then BOOM back to reality. My BVS has come back worse than ever. Just can't understand how we looked that bad against really bad team. I'm still hopeful we get to 11 wins. I'm still on the Heup Train. I think he can be special. Our future looks bright. That being said the season is tarnished. Too get so close only to faceplant in the home stretch hurts like hell. There is no better feeling than watching TN play like at an elite level. I missed that feeling so much. This season isn't a failure but damn if it isn't a disappointment. We were so damn close Nation. I don't know why I can't accept last Sat. It feels like 96 Memphis. I guess I just need time. I know I'm whining but it is what it is. Does anyone else here feel like this? I hope I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
The defense wasn't rattled.
They didn't want to be there.
Only they know why.

I really think it was more on our defensive scheme than lack of effort with most all of the defense. I watched and noticed several defensive players were playing hard, they were just out of position, and I think this is all on the defensive coaches. We were basicaly giving up 8 to 10 yard cushion on defense.

Last edited:
I just don’t won’t Jeremy Banks on the team. He is a liability and not deserving to wear the Orange or representing Tennessee. I think we just line 11 on the line and let the receivers run free since we have NO one who cares to defend the pass. So much to play for and that side of the ball just packed it in. There’s a reason our pass coverage is LAST.

Yep....the D played with little emotion or pride. Something was definitely rotten in Denmark. No way we get curb-stomped like that without outside s***t going on.

Agree with you. The question is it a one time thing? Can they get over whatever caused such a dismal performance in one week? Boy I hope so, but I have my doubts.

Hard to fix a train wreck in one 7 days.

I just don’t won’t Jeremy Banks on the team. He is a liability and not deserving of wear the Orange or representing Tennessee. I think we just line 11 on the line and let the receivers run free since we have NO one who cares to defend the pass. So much to play for and that side of the ball just packed it in. There’s a reason our pass coverage is LAST.
Irrational take, IMO

I just don’t won’t Jeremy Banks on the team. He is a liability and not deserving to wear the Orange or representing Tennessee. I think we just line 11 on the line and let the receivers run free since we have NO one who cares to defend the pass. So much to play for and that side of the ball just packed it in. There’s a reason our pass coverage is LAST.
Well if you want him off the team because he's a liability and truly doesn't deserve to wear the orange representing Tennessee, then Heupel needs to go for allowing him to stay.

I've gotten angrier every day since Saturday. If Vols lose to vandy, I'll feel like the season was a fail. A win over bama doesn't make a season. A win over Florida doesn't make a season. The sum of the whole is greater than the individual games. You can't crash and burn like we did and have a good feeling at seasons end.

Last edited:
Yep....the D played with little emotion or pride. Something was definitely rotten in Denmark. No way we get curb-stomped like that without outside s***t going on.
Don't care what was going on outside the field of play. This is a team. This is something the entire roster and staff have sweated and bled for since Heupel took the head job. With all that work and all that sacrifice, there's nothing that should have gotten in the way and into so many heads. These playoffs are incredibly hard to get into. When you can see the finish line right smack in front of you, you pour it on and finish the race. This team didn't do that. Call it inexperience, lack of maturity, or something else, but the ring was right there for the taking and they blew it. It's been 50 years since I had the pads on but there are games I'd give anything to do over. And those were no where near the importance of the SC game. After a period of time, this group of vols will really regret letting that opportunity get away. It will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Sounds melodramatic but it's true.

Of reflecting on this loss I'm still emotionally drained. I know we have a lot to play for but losing to SCAR the way we did soured this season for me. Before the season if you'd told me we'd be 9-2 going into Vandy I'd be ecstatic . We beat Florida. We'd skull dragged LSU. Hell we FINALLY beat Bama. We were on top of the world. We hit a buzzsaw in Athens but that wasn't shocking. UGA is the champ and we were in there house. Our offense had a bad day and UGA made us pay. No shame in losing if you go down swinging.

Everything was still in front of us. We were in the Playoff hunt in mid November. It was feeling like the 90s once again. I forgot how good it felt seeing TN in the hunt for a NC. What made it even sweeter is NO ONE saw this coming in year 2. No one can turn things around that fast but Heup was doing it. Then Sat happened. We got blown Out by a really bad SCAR team. They beat us in every way. They humbled and humiliated us and once again no one saw it coming. Just like that a shot at the playoffs went puff.

I know yall think I'm dumber than dog s**t saying this season is a failure but I can't maike chicken salad out of this chicken s**t. We came out of nowhere and in a blink of an eye we were playoff contenders. We were almost there. Just a couple more steps then BOOM back to reality. My BVS has come back worse than ever. Just can't understand how we looked that bad against really bad team. I'm still hopeful we get to 11 wins. I'm still on the Heup Train. I think he can be special. Our future looks bright. That being said the season is tarnished. Too get so close only to faceplant in the home stretch hurts like hell. There is no better feeling than watching TN play like at an elite level. I missed that feeling so much. This season isn't a failure but damn if it isn't a disappointment. We were so damn close Nation. I don't know why I can't accept last Sat. It feels like 96 Memphis. I guess I just need time. I know I'm whining but it is what it is. Does anyone else here feel like this? I hope I'm not the only one.

Youre not dumb.

The season has gone better than expected by most but that doesn't mean they didn't just piss away a shot at a national title.

And the way they lost it was even worse. No shame in losing to a better team but SC wasn't it.

Too many on here are making it an either or proposition when it can actually be both.

Well if you want him off the team because he's a liability and truly doesn't deserve to wear the orange representing Tennessee, then Heupel needs to go for allowing him to stay.
Working in management, you sometimes don’t realize how cancerous someone is to a work environment until it’s too late and they’ve poisoned the culture, in which case you have get rid of many more people than you realized at first. It’s a lousy situation to be in, and not always something a manager or coach has control of. That’s not to say that Banks is the problem. It could be him, it could be other players, or it could even be coaches that undermine each other.

Working in management, you sometimes don’t realize how cancerous someone is to a work environment until it’s too late and they’ve poisoned the culture, in which case you have get rid of many more people than you realized at first. It’s a lousy situation to be in, and not always something a manager or coach has control of. That’s not to say that Banks is the problem. It could be him, it could be other players, or it could even be coaches that undermine each other.
Thanks.

groundhog-dave.gif

Of reflecting on this loss I'm still emotionally drained. I know we have a lot to play for but losing to SCAR the way we did soured this season for me. Before the season if you'd told me we'd be 9-2 going into Vandy I'd be ecstatic . We beat Florida. We'd skull dragged LSU. Hell we FINALLY beat Bama. We were on top of the world. We hit a buzzsaw in Athens but that wasn't shocking. UGA is the champ and we were in there house. Our offense had a bad day and UGA made us pay. No shame in losing if you go down swinging.

I know yall think I'm dumber than dog s**t saying this season is a failure but I can't maike chicken salad out of this chicken s**t. We came out of nowhere and in a blink of an eye we were playoff contenders. We were almost there. Just a couple more steps then BOOM back to reality. My BVS has come back worse than ever. Just can't understand how we looked that bad against really bad team. I'm still hopeful we get to 11 wins. I'm still on the Heup Train. I think he can be special. Our future looks bright. That being said the season is tarnished. Too get so close only to faceplant in the home stretch hurts like hell. There is no better feeling than watching TN play like at an elite level. I missed that feeling so much. This season isn't a failure but damn if it isn't a disappointment. We were so damn close Nation. I don't know why I can't accept last Sat. It feels like 96 Memphis. I guess I just need time. I know I'm whining but it is what it is. Does anyone else here feel like this? I hope I'm not the only one.

Agree 100%. This team accomplished so much with a chance for the playoffs. Hopefully USC and TCU run the table as the committee will not leave out a one loss PAC 12 champion who beat three consecutive ranked teams to conclude the season. So I won’t feel as bad if TCU and USC run the table.

Worst loss- In my eyes it is still the 2001 LSU loss as we were up @ the half and knocked out their QB and RB. Fulmer and Co were out coached, similar to Heup/Banks against USCjr, and choked to give away the opportunity to play Miami in the BCS title game in the Rose Bowl.

With that said, time heals all wounds and it is MY FAULT to allow a game to impact my mood. I have a lot to be thankful for, so my best solution is to stay away from talk radio and college football as TN will be mentioned during each game.

Heck, Sean Hannity brought up the Vols losing two night ago when Clay Travis visited his show.

GO VOlS!

I feel ya man that was not our vols last Saturday night. Like someone already mentioned only they know why they decided not to show up. They made it look to obvious to me...

I’m with you man I’d say if we were being honest, most of us are. Just trying to stay positive and find the good. I hope Milton absolutely goes on a monster tear these final 2, with huge wins propelling us into another 2023 CFP run.

And I tell you what, Vols are still back. We got kids that are hopping on the bandwagon like never before. Tennessee kids can actually talk some smack with some pride again with the “big boys” of the SEC

VN Store

Back