Game Thread: (23/24) Lady Vols 69 - Colorado 51

So here is what likely happens….UT is prob twice as talented and is coming out of a tough 6 game stretch 2-4. Everyone is doubting about now, but at TBA after this team has had 6 games to figure out the new pieces, Colorado is toast.

I don’t see any other option here, UT by 10+. Prob 15+. If I am wrong, which I doubt, but is possible of course, UT wins by fewer than 10. Colorado has no business winning at UT under any circumstances. UT by 15+

Ha: your optimism is nice but you clearly haven't watched much UT basketball in recent years.

I, I who have nothing
I, I who have no one
Adore you and want you so
I who am no one and have nothing to give you, oh
I love you
The Tom Jones, Ben E King or Shirley Bassey version ?
-
-
And when you ran to me
Your cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields
of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand
-
And when I awoke and felt you warm and near
I kissed your honey hair with my grateful tears
Oh I love you girl
Oh I love you

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Good question. I would go with Key/Franklyn. Key can do a good job of interrupting her outside shot (or inside shot) but if Miller is playing away from the basket, she may be able to drive around her and then Horston/Jackson would have to pick her up. Franklyn would probably do a better job of keeping a body on her. This is just a guess on my part since I have not seen Colorado play this year.

She needs to move Rickea to the 3 and Jordan to the Two. That is what they are on pre-season watch lists for and insert Franklin at the 4 to establish a rebounding presence from the start of the game......

I like the lineup of Key, Franklin, Jackson, Horston and Powell. Maybe that will be the lineup she finally decides on. She's playing a lot of players to see who responds. I don't think the starting lineup is locked in stone. If she sticks with the 2 team approach, she will also need scoring and defense coming off the bench.

She needs to move Rickea to the 3 and Jordan to the Two. That is what they are on pre-season watch lists for and insert Franklin at the 4 to establish a rebounding presence from the start of the game. Playing Jordan and Rickea the way she played Jordan and Rae and Rae and Rennia with a great rebounder at the 4 spot would be the way to go. In the last 2 seasons, she has used a facilitator from the 4 and one whose primary concern was rebounding and any points that position got were gravy. Trying to be too loyal to last year's starters just to be loyal is going to hurt this team. This is a new team. Franklin isn't on a preseason watch list at that position just because. She needs to be in the starting lineup. And please, please, please, stop with the platoon subbing. I get it'ss early, but that takes away any rhythm a starting five can have.

I agree that Kellie does seem to be showing some loyalties and its not working that well.

On the line-up changes, you have 5 quality players but there is no balance to it. Without more outside shooting to spread the floor, the LVs will continue forcing thing into very crowded areas.

Here is my "that and $4 will get you a latte" take:

The backcourt is where a major log jam exists. Horston and Powell are both ball dominant guards who like to drive the paint. And that is also want Rickea wants to do. Then you have Powell and Franklin both wanting in-the-paint touches.

The radical move would be to realize that Horston and Powell can only work with a small ball line-up where you can have those two plus Jackson and some combo of Darby, Puckett, Striplin (and at some point Pissott) filling the remaining slots. Striplin can stretch the floor with mid her range game and is competent defender in the paint. That small ball line-up gives up something defensively but it makes more sense in terms of offensive balance.

When the LVs play with Key (or Franklin) which is going to be standard line-up, I think you have try Horston back at point guard, with Jackson and two spread the floor shooters. Powell becomes the #2 PG and you rotate Jackson and Horston so that at least one of them is on the floor at all times.

In terms of loyalty, sixth year returner and all round good soldier Jordan Walker should be used mainly as the insurance policy for when Powell is not available due to fouls, injuries, or sickness. At this point, other players like Jillian, Marta, Kyra and Brooklyn are role players who get used very selectively when situations call for it.

I feel good against most teams with Franklin and Horston inside they are our best two rebounders. Jackson is a perfect three can rebound, slash to the basket and is efficient enough shooting from the perimeter. Powell is certainly our best point guard, but she could be a lot better at decision making and distribution of the basketball. The two guard is our weakest spot on the floor. You need a three point shooter there and Darby fits that role, but that pplayer also need to be quick and able to guard and she is somewhat limited in that role. I think however she is the best option for that spot.
I feel that Tamari at this point has played her way out of a starting spot. She brings a lot defensively against certain teams that have big inside players. She really struggles offensively against quicker smaller posts and still has not learned how to handle the double teams. She seems to have no awareness that it is coming because she could pass to an open perimeter player if she did. If two are covering her someone is open.

I would like to see Karoline and think we will starting Sunday. Hope the coaching staff can bring Jillian along with a little better skills she would be a dynamic post player she is very quick and athletic on a scale with Horston and Jackson hasn't totally developed her skill set and still plays like a freshman on defense committing bad unnecessary fouls. Against Gonzaga we won the game when Franklin, Horston, Jackson, and Powell were in the lineup together regardless of who the fifth player was. We didn't fare as well when Key or any other player took the place of any two of them. I know they can't play the entire game, but those four are our thirty minute players and then we have to get at least four more playing close to their level and things will dramatically improve for the team.

She needs to move Rickea to the 3 and Jordan to the Two. That is what they are on pre-season watch lists for and insert Franklin at the 4 to establish a rebounding presence from the start of the game. Playing Jordan and Rickea the way she played Jordan and Rae and Rae and Rennia with a great rebounder at the 4 spot would be the way to go. In the last 2 seasons, she has used a facilitator from the 4 and one whose primary concern was rebounding and any points that position got were gravy. Trying to be too loyal to last year's starters just to be loyal is going to hurt this team. This is a new team. Franklin isn't on a preseason watch list at that position just because. She needs to be in the starting lineup. And please, please, please, stop with the platoon subbing. I get it'ss early, but that takes away any rhythm a starting five can have.

I agree that’s it’s time to insert Franklin into the starting lineup at the 4. I think Kellie was trying to ease her back in following the knee injury, but she proved in the last game that she is ready. She even said post game that it took her a minute but she is now trusting her knee. Putting Franklin at the 4 will also take a lot of pressure off of TK.

I agree that’s it’s time to insert Franklin into the starting lineup at the 4. I think Kellie was trying to ease her back in following the knee injury, but she proved in the last game that she is ready. She even said post game that it took her a minute but she is now trusting her knee. Putting Franklin at the 4 will also take a lot of pressure off of TK.
She played 20 last game had been around 12 the other games. We need her thirty a game if she is capable of that. She is starting to regain some of her old form every game.

Reactions: luballer
Cannot afford a Q2 loss at home when we have no Q1 wins

We shouldn’t be talking about a game being “must win” this early in the season, but that’s where we are.

I like the lineup of Key, Franklin, Jackson, Horston and Powell. Maybe that will be the lineup she finally decides on. She's playing a lot of players to see who responds. I don't think the starting lineup is locked in stone. If she sticks with the 2 team approach, she will also need scoring and defense coming off the bench.
I love this lineup but the problem is spacing u have to hve a shooter in there

So here is what likely happens….UT is prob twice as talented and is coming out of a tough 6 game stretch 2-4. Everyone is doubting about now, but at TBA after this team has had 6 games to figure out the new pieces, Colorado is toast.

I don’t see any other option here, UT by 10+. Prob 15+. If I am wrong, which I doubt, but is possible of course, UT wins by fewer than 10. Colorado has no business winning at UT under any circumstances. UT by 15+

Ive since moved away from these type of thoughts and just hope we win . Adding pressure or stress to yourself or the team is what cultivates those frustrating feelings if we lose. That's just for me though .

Cannot afford a Q2 loss at home when we have no Q1 wins

We shouldn’t be talking about a game being “must win” this early in the season, but that’s where we are.

Perhaps one should actually add up the number of people who've said that. One poster suggested it and of course our Nega queen jumped all over it hoping to start something..

UT is favored by 4.5 so should be a close game. Just hoping UT wins with some easy games coming up. A 3 game win streak going into the Vtech game would be huge for confidence. Go Lady Vols!

UT is favored by 4.5 so should be a close game. Just hoping UT wins with some easy games coming up. A 3 game win streak going into the Vtech game would be huge for confidence. Go Lady Vols!
I think UT will have Key work the defensive boards early, should be a game where LV’s outrebound Buffs by a good bit, which is always a good thing.

“must win” Start winning the games you’re supposed to win.
Tennessee should win but 85-86 loss texas tech one more basket and vols facing 5-0 team tonight. Vols better be ready to play to get boat headed right way miss rocks tonight. no cupcake ahead waring light on?

VN Store

Back