Golesh to CU?

He’s not going to get a quality P5 job till he proves himself as a HC somewhere else. So a place like USF would be a better landing spot than Colorado.

Guys go from successful coordinator to P5 head coach all the time. A few names who got that opportunity and made that move:

Kirby Smart
Bob Stoops
Phil Fulmer
Jeremy Pruitt
Mike Locksley
Mark Richt
Lincoln Riley
Brent Pry
Bo Pelini
Will Muschamp
Jimbo Fisher
Dan Lanning
David Cutcliffe

There are plenty more. All of those guys got their first P5 head coaching job after being a coordinator, without having a non-P5 job first. That’s the more traditional course, in fact.

He should take whatever lifeline he can get. Hooker made him look like a genius and it’s doubtful his star is shining as brightly a year from now.
So Hooker loses his Job at WV then at Tenn. He makes the the DC look like a genius. Got it!!

Guys go from successful coordinator to P5 head coach all the time. A few names who got that opportunity and made that move:

Kirby Smart
Bob Stoops
Phil Fulmer
Jeremy Pruitt
Mike Locksley
Mark Richt
Lincoln Riley
Brent Pry
Bo Pelini
Will Muschamp
Jimbo Fisher
Dan Lanning
David Cutcliffe

There are plenty more. All of those guys got their first P5 head coaching job after being a coordinator, without having a non-P5 job first. That’s the more traditional course, in fact.

I’d remove Pruitt & Muschamp from that list immediately if you’re listing successful head coaches.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
Won’t blame anyone that gets a shot at being a head coach. How Heupel replaces staff will be an indicator of his long term success. The receiver coach decision he made after last season was a good one.

Reactions: HeadVol77
Would be worried about losing him to Cincinnati now as well, though I haven't seen him linked to that job. He went to high school in Ohio.

I’d remove Pruitt & Muschamp from that list immediately if you’re listing successful head coaches.

I wasn't. I was listing guys who got the job. I was responding to a post that said, "He’s not going to get a quality P5 job till he proves himself as a HC somewhere else."

Those guys got power 5 jobs without proving themselves as HC somewhere else. I wasn't saying they were all successful (some were, some weren't), just that one can, and commonly does, land a power 5 head coaching job straight from the rank of successful coordinator.

Reactions: wmcovol
Could Alex Golesh be a candidate for the Tulane head coaching job since Willie Fritz is going to Georgia Tech?

I wasn't. I was listing guys who got the job. I was responding to a post that said, "He’s not going to get a quality P5 job till he proves himself as a HC somewhere else."

Those guys got power 5 jobs without proving themselves as HC somewhere else. I wasn't saying they were all successful (some were, some weren't), just that one can, and commonly does, land a power 5 head coaching job straight from the rank of successful coordinator.
Most of the guys listed were a head coach in waiting and/or moved up within their own organization. Then there’s a couple like Kirby who turned down multiple jobs waiting for the chance to go home. Pruitt is a glaring exception and exhibit A as to why it’s a stupid idea for a major program to roll those dice.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Only on Volnation are folks trying to push their very good OC out the door. He isn’t going anywhere yet. How about being glad we got him here for a while. GBO!
Whose pushing him out the door? I haven't seen anyone saying they hope he goes.

Only on Volnation are folks trying to push their very good OC out the door. He isn’t going anywhere yet. How about being glad we got him here for a while. GBO!
Whose pushing him out the door? I haven't seen anyone saying they hope he goes

Most of the guys listed were a head coach in waiting and/or moved up within their own organization. Then there’s a couple like Kirby who turned down multiple jobs waiting for the chance to go home. Pruitt is a glaring exception and exhibit A as to why it’s a stupid idea for a major program to roll those dice.

I went back and read some stuff about his (Pruitt ) tenure at Georgia where he had to leave the year Richt left. There were signs he was risky hire as a HC. Mostly my information comes from Georgia sports journalist articles.

He was pretty solid as a DC if things were run the way Saban does. CMR though had a very different way of running things. It wasn’t necessarily a bad way just he was not a super confrontational dude.

Pruitt on the other hand was very confrontational and he also had gotten very involved in a lot of the day to day where’s Richt had been stepping back and allowing his OC to run the other side of the ball for a long time. This worked until his former OC was replaced by one who was less effective.

Apparently incoming OC was supposed to run the old playbook but decided instead to run his own, which Pruitt didn’t find out about until spring practice. There was a big blow up and Pruitt said things and behaved in practice to Richt that a coordinator should not say and do to a head coach. Richt being non-confrontational didn’t push back and lost a lot of respect. Pruitt apologized the next day but the damage was done.

He caused a lot of drama in general there with the gist being he was brash and unlikeable making him a lot of enemies in the athletic department and university as a whole. One well known example was the practice field drama.

He decided to have a press conference saying that the program should have an indoor practice facility and would have it. Plans for one were already in the works but he came off as critical of it not being there and then it looked like he made it happen.

Apparently the staff ended up split between Richt guys and Pruitt guys. The latter had mostly been brought in to give the program a culture similar to Saban. The two sides could probably both form pieces of great teams but their approaches did not compliment one another and work as a whole. Apparently an assistant loyal to Richt had to be held back from going after Pruitt at point.

So as a whole it was believed Pruitt knew football, especially defense, but he was prone to saying things he shouldn’t and a hothead who overstepped at times. It worked fine under Saban because Saban would let him know real quick that he was in charge.

The guys who Pruitt coached on defense did love him though. When they heard Richt was going to be fired some of them went to the AD and asked for Pruitt to be made the coach. The AD told them that there was no way that was happening, he couldn’t do it because Pruitt had already stepped on too many toes.

When Smart took over he never even considered retaining Pruitt even though they were both Saban guys with a history at Georgia. On paper it might look like he would fit right in, but his antics had caused enough behind the scenes trouble that he was disqualified.

One article I read from 2018 on a Georgia site talked about the Pruitt hire and thought it would either be one of the best choices Tennessee ever made or one of the worst. Pointed out that Pruitt had a knack for recruiting and talent evaluation that might enable him to find some real overlooked gems. Also pointed out that his people skills and impulse control could easily cause him problems.

Obviously we saw how it worked out, and it was not pretty. As for the Georgia drama, I feel like the guy was toxic and I think Richt is a great coach but owns some responsibility for not running a tight ship. If it comes to character, there is no comparison between Richt and Pruitt. It was not good leadership though to allow things to get so out of hand.

He even he acknowledged and addressed this when he went to Miami. Said he would be more involved in the day to day aspects and would be coaching the QB and doing the offense mostly himself. Also said he would make sure he had the right people and take his time.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
That is more of what I expected. Some of these jobs they had him tied to aren’t worth leaving the OC position at Tennessee.
What Ut is doing on offense is going to attract schools and I don’t see him being here next year.

I'm not sure what more attractive jobs a coordinator at a non-championship school can attract, especially an OC that doesn't actually call plays. Colorado is a P5 school, and a helluva opportunity for someone serving as an OC at another P5 school. Annual compensation probably in the same $4-5m range. The guy should jump at the opportunity, if actually given the chance.

The top 32 or so programs are really only hiring head coaches at lower programs, and Broyles winners. Think about the coordinators who have jumped right to a blue blood program over the last 25 years. The majority had coached for the chance, and/or won the Natty. Stoops from UF to OU. Richt from FSU to UGA, Fisher from Bama to FSU, Lanning from UGA to Oregon, Sarkisian from Bama to TX, Tom Hermann tOSU to TX, Kirby Smart from Bama to UGA, Will Muschamp from UT to UF. There's more but the majority of the rest were actually promoted from within.

What these guys are hoping to do is follow the path of Jim McEwen - Colorado St to UF, Gene Chizik - Iowa St to Auburn, Gus Malzahn - Ark St to Auburn, Billy Napier - Louisiana to UF, etc. Obviously it doesn't always work out.

GaTech is a program with huge potential. The in-state talent pool is bigger than the programs feeding off of it can pull.
GaTech is a sleeping giant, especially if the academic requirements relax. If the academics stay the same, a good staff can win there with the correct pitch. The ACC is ripe for new programs to win.

Ga Tech is a "sleeping giant?"
Academics won't be relaxed. The right coach can have them competing in the ACC but that's a stepping stone job. Always will be.

Ga Tech is a "sleeping giant?"
Academics won't be relaxed. The right coach can have them competing in the ACC but that's a stepping stone job. Always will be.
Winning 7 games per season in the ACC is definitely doable there with just the leftover local talent. It is a stepping stone job, but could be a consistent winner at the same time.

VN Store

Back