Is Key hurt or out of shape

I think Striplin gets some playing time come Eastern Kentucky as will a few other bench players. Right now we need to win a game and I only see about 6 people that need to play know there will be more that plays, but only four and a couple sometimes have played any effective minutes this season.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
karoline sets pick waybetter than other bigs.
We shouldn't rule out Striplin as a backup. Against Louisville in our final game last season, she had 7 points (2-2 fg; 3-4 ft) and 6 rebounds in 15 minutes of play. Only one foul that game.

Karoline needs game experience, but she is fearless when she comes in. Has good range, too. She and Jill give us some serious muscle when needed.

I think Striplin gets some playing time come Eastern Kentucky as will a few other bench players. Right now we need to win a game and I only see about 6 people that need to play know there will be more that plays, but only four and a couple sometimes have played any effective minutes this season.

I think we need to play about five straight games against Eastern Kentucky.

Time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
A whole thread dedicated to bashing our most important player on the team...wow and yet the folks who do not believe in kelly get ganged up on for this exact same type of behavior lol . I cannot , but touche' . Key we love you , we need you if we are going to be any type of threat this season . Please utilize your talents and show these folks who like to diss your motor and abilities who the HELL YOU ARE !! TK aka Triple Double Down Low #RIMPROTECTOR Key.

I agree that this is an issue and it is one that is solvable. I don't know the science about "not built to run up and down the court." But it is obvious that some of our fast players seem to know nothing but full speed ahead and some of our less fleet footed players are being regularly left behind, despite the good they bring to the team. Any team should always play as a unit. It does little good to advance at breakneck speed if your less swift outside shooters and inside players are being left behind. Bill Russell wasn't near as fast as some of his Celtic teammates, but leaving him behind never crossed anyone's mind. His floor generals always made sure he was involved. It was a good plan.

I really don't believe Key and some of the other, less athletically gifted players are simply dogging it. I cannot and will not believe they don't care. Maybe they just move at a more deliberate rate and need to be blended into the play by the guards. Athletes like Horston, Walker and Powell can run and gun all day. When it works, it is exciting. But when it doesn't, it looks like a turnover. The ball handlers are hurting themselves and the team if they don't get all five players involved. Not one player on the Lady Vols roster is without the ability to contribute. If they sucked, they wouldn't be here.

Bill Russell was more concerned with owning the defensive glass and starting as many fast breaks as he could get with terrific outlet passes.

I am still pissed that the St. Louis Hawks drafted Russell and traded him to the Boston Celtics in what proved to be the absolute WORST trade in franchise history.

yes, it's not even close

It is still early, but on this specific day, Striplin is my # 9 player.

Reasons: She does a lot of good things for the team without requiring the ball to be in her hands. Kinda our version of a Dennis Rodman. Unfortunately, she is not an elite defender like Dennis. But she blocks out, sets picks, scrapes around very well.

My eight to play are (in no specific order: Key, Hollingshed, Horston, Jackson, Powell, Darby, Puckett, Franklin

Striplen is nine.

Marta, Miles, Walker, Pissott, Wynn to the bench for now.

It is still early, but on this specific day, Striplin is my # 9 player.

Reasons: She does a lot of good things for the team without requiring the ball to be in her hands. Kinda our version of a Dennis Rodman. Unfortunately, she is not an elite defender like Dennis. But she blocks out, sets picks, scrapes around very well.

My eight to play are (in no specific order: Key, Hollingshed, Horston, Jackson, Powell, Darby, Puckett, Franklin

Striplen is nine.

Marta, Miles, Walker, Pissott, Wynn to the bench for now.
Striplin is going to surprise some people once she gets some extended minutes

A whole thread dedicated to bashing our most important player on the team...wow and yet the folks who do not believe in kelly get ganged up on for this exact same type of behavior lol . I cannot , but touche' . Key we love you , we need you if we are going to be any type of threat this season . Please utilize your talents and show these folks who like to diss your motor and abilities who the HELL YOU ARE !! TK aka Triple Double Down Low #RIMPROTECTOR Key.
People are criticizing her lack of effort. Yes we do need her to put out effort

Striplin is going to surprise some people once she gets some extended minutes
I agree with this and have posted the same several times. Her points and rebounds per minute played are quite good and she is tough down low. The kind of young player you would think the staff would give extended minutes to in blowouts etc to see what they really have there.

Bill Russell was more concerned with owning the defensive glass and starting as many fast breaks as he could get with terrific outlet passes.

I am still pissed that the St. Louis Hawks drafted Russell and traded him to the Boston Celtics in what proved to be the absolute WORST trade in franchise history.
Key’s rebounds are way down this season obviously. Perhaps she should focus 100% on defensive rebounding for a bit, the offense will come. She is certainly capable with her length and size of boxing out and grabbing defensive boards at a high clip. Start her with that mission as focus number one for awhile and let the rest develop as it will do if she starts dominating the defensive glass. Staff has to make that a priority going forward, she is too important to the team to be allowed to stagnate.

Last edited:
I agree with this and have posted the same several times. Her points and rebounds per minute played are quite good and she is tough down low. The kind of young player you would think the staff would give extended minutes to in blowouts etc to see what they really have there.
early december to mid december we get some cupcakes,,,that will be her opportunity

I wish Kellie would pull her out of the starting lineup altogether, at least until she gets her #$% together. Not blaming all the team's problems on Key, but there's no question her low motor drags the team down. Franklin, Hollingshead, and Striplin can't bring what she brings but at least you know they will give max effort...

Reactions: glv98
Y’all want her to be someone she’s not. She’s not Aliyah, she’s not Candace, she’s Tamari. And she’s had a damn good career. Should the coaches expect more aggression when it comes to setting screens? Yes. Should they expect her to post up? Yes but she does that. Idk what y’all expect her to average but it’s not going to be 20 and 15. That’s not her game not her personality. Preseason my guess was between 13-16 Ppg and 10+ rebounds and I still think that will be the case for her. Team has to gel.
Raise the expectation, please. She’s a collegiate scholarship athlete. Named to numerous watch lists. Do not drop the bar.

Ok, that is a valid point. Forget that idea. Striplen can jump in there and add muscle if need be. Really, Hollinghead and Key can handle the center spot for 20 minutes each per game.

I do understand if Pissott needs a year to bulk up.
Three years to bulk up? Play her on the wing until….

Tamari has one problem foul trouble if she could correct that it would really help the team and her overall play.

Tamari is under the microscope every game from the officials. I think it's just height bias on their part but if Tamari sets an aggressive screen, she will get called for the foul most of the time. Opposing players get away with way more physical play than she does.

Reactions: luballer
Fair my issue is why are people allowed to do that to the player and not the coach without getting ganged up on and told to leave ?
I agree. It is an opinion board. I think everyone loves Tamari and Kellie as people. They are both really nice and very likable. But should be fair game to criticize their play and coaching, as long as ot does not get personal. IMO neither Tamari or Kellie are as good as some people think they are or as bad as others think they are.

Tamari is under the microscope every game from the officials. I think it's just height bias on their part but if Tamari sets an aggressive screen, she will get called for the foul most of the time. Opposing players get away with way more physical play than she does.
She does suffer from the curse of being big as far as officiating goes. Because of her size when she contacts a player it is easier to see and also causes the other player to move more. But when the same player contacts her with identical force it does not move Tamari as much. So identical contact by Tamari and the same player may be called two different ways. To some extent this differing treatment is even baked into the rules because Tamari may gain more of an advantage with contact than the opposing player gains against Tamari. And of course the rules state that a player must gain an advantage for a foul to be called. This disadvantage big girls face when it comes to foul calls has been around awhile and probably will continue to be.

Reactions: Rooster1

this is where Coach K needs to bow-up and get angry.
Chew on the zebra's ear

blind-mice-three-blind-mice.gif

Last night it appeared to me that she had trouble running the court.
Maybe 10 points were scored because she was late getting down the court.
Anybody else see this?
This injury has be going on for 2 seasons. She is very methodical in her approach to basketball. But yet she holds the record for most blocks.

Reactions: glv98

VN Store

Back