The Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread

The door is open!
England is really the only frontrunner that's looked good so far, right? The Dutch needed 2 late goals to beat Senegal, Argentina lost, France got down early but rebounded, Germany lost, Croatia tied Morocco and didn't score.

It kind of has the same feeling the last Saturday's round of CFB games had.

I’m heading to a bar in Montreal in a couple hours to watch the match against Belgium with some friends. First time in almost 40 years they have qualified. My 🍿 is ready.
Sounds like a blast. I’ll root for Canada probably. Give me all of the upsets. Interested to see what Belgium will be able to do this WC. This is probably the golden generations last shot.

Reactions: C/O
Sounds like a blast. I’ll root for Canada probably. Give me all of the upsets. Interested to see what Belgium will be able to do this WC. This is probably the golden generations last shot.
Normally as a neutral I'm an underdog guy, but I've always kind of liked Belgium. I know the country itself is crazy about soccer but there really isn't a good reason why they should be as good as they are. It's just a country of 11.5 million people and they've spent the last ~4 years ranked #1 or #2 in the world.

Have the same feeling about Uruguay, but Suarez makes that whole team harder to like.

England is really the only frontrunner that's looked good so far, right? The Dutch needed 2 late goals to beat Senegal, Argentina lost, France got down early but rebounded, Germany lost, Croatia tied Morocco and didn't score.

It kind of has the same feeling the last Saturday's round of CFB games had.

I don't recall any college football games being played last Saturday.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97 and C/O
Normally as a neutral I'm an underdog guy, but I've always kind of liked Belgium. I know the country itself is crazy about soccer but there really isn't a good reason why they should be as good as they are. It's just a country of 11.5 million people and they've spent the last ~4 years ranked #1 or #2 in the world.

Have the same feeling about Uruguay, but Suarez makes that whole team harder to like.

Even with a small population if the country is crazy about the sport, they will turn out some good players occasionally. The last 15-20 years though is the golden generation of Belgium football they call it (which is weird because they had another golden generation like 40 years ago 🤷🏻‍♂️). Eden Hazard, KDB, Lukaku, Curtois, etc. They had a team built to win and who knows when they will have this many really good players all at once again. They will always be good I think but multiple years being #1 or #2 good? Hard to top. I never minded them but never fancied them either. I do love their beer though 🍺

Even with a small population if the country is crazy about the sport, they will turn out some good players occasionally. The last 15-20 years though is the golden generation of Belgium football they call it (which is weird because they had another golden generation like 40 years ago 🤷🏻‍♂️). Eden Hazard, KDB, Lukaku, Curtois, etc. They had a team built to win and who knows when they will have this many really good players all at once again. They will always be good I think but multiple years being #1 or #2 good? Hard to top. I never minded them but never fancied them either. I do love their beer though 🍺
It's wild how experienced they are too, speaking to how good this generation has been. They have 6 guys on the WC roster with 100+ caps, and another 2 with 90+.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
In general it's the same here, we just have an Argentinian friend that grew up not wealthy so she's a little more humble. I guess that helps the hate.

Can't get her started on Chile though. It'll never stop.

Yes, my Peruvian wife claims everyone in South America hates Argentina and Peruvians themselves very much dislike Chile. My wife also contends the refs have a conspiracy to help Brazil, although a lot of South Americans seem to like Brazil. She's not always the most logically based individual, though.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
Man, I haven't won 5 EPL bets all year, but after Torres scored me 2 goals, today, I've now won 5 bets in like 3 days during this World Cup. Torres was +750 to score 2 goals, so $10 to win $85

It's wild how experienced they are too, speaking to how good this generation has been. They have 6 guys on the WC roster with 100+ caps, and another 2 with 90+.
If I were them I’d be a bit concerned that “experience” might translate into “washed up” in a couple cases. I’m not sure Alderweireld and Vertonghen can anchor a back line that wins a WC at this point. There may be a reason that Spurs moved on from them and they’re both now playing in the Belgian league.

Concacaf is the only confederation still undefeated in the 2022 World Cup.

Don’t see a lot of prime Eden Hazard these days, but that touch and turn right there was prime Eden Hazard.

VN Store

Back