Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

I think they must have thought that second tv timeout at 1:57 was a timeout they took for some reason. It was the second TV timeout of the quarter has to be the reason we can all count to four.

#9 player in regards to minutes played in the first 6 games (55 total mins). Rotation needs to be cut to 8. Big drop off from Franklin at #7 mins per game @87 total mins and #8 Hollingshead at 59 mins.

I agree. I think in easier games Pissott should get some of those minutes until we can see what her upside is. But otherwise the shorter rotation is better. I also thought Hollingshead was a better choice for Key's minutes in this game. They were pulling Key out to the 3 pt line where she is essentially useless on defense. Hollingshead can play out there and her length was bothering the Gonzaga guards. Franklin should have had the bulk of center minutes. And Marta should not have played. She is a classic tweener. Too slow for guard/forward, and not big enough or possessing enough leaping ability to be an effective post. Her skillset is that of a guard which leaves her no place to play in games like this. Kellie needs to tighten up and only play those players who are most productive with their minutes in competitive games.

BTW, if you watch the all-star games, Justine doesn't look outclassed, but she wasn't very productive. Rice from UCLA was one of the better ones so it is interesting to see that play out in how much they contributed in the game against each other the other day.

But in all honesty, worrying about lineups is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic until we address some of our systemic issues.

That quote is why I was originally so adamant (and wrongly so) in my response to OrangeManiac. It appears Kellie and staff lost track of how many timeouts they had. In the grand scheme, this will all be forgotten soon enough but that is an inexplicable error if indeed it was made.
Ironic, because that's what sealed Stanford's loss to SC when the Stanford player called a timeout that they didn't have. So two high profile games in a span of 2 days where there was confusion as to how many time outs they had. Ouch...

I think they must have thought that second tv timeout at 1:57 was a timeout they took for some reason. It was the second TV timeout of the quarter has to be the reason we can all count to four.

So that is listed as a media TO, followed immediately by one taken by the Zags. So, it is hard to see how the Kellie and staff would have thought they took it, unless on the very unlikely chance that the box score was wrong and it was a LV timeout.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Once again the time outs come into play....
In the OS game, Kellie wouldn't call timeout if her life depended on it..

Now, it appears a time out should have been called to advance the ball, but could it have been called by rule to advance the ball...Franklin had passed ball under basket and it was knocked out of bounds by Zag player....

I agree. I think in easier games Pissott should get some of those minutes until we can see what her upside is. But otherwise the shorter rotation is better. I also thought Hollingshead was a better choice for Key's minutes in this game. They were pulling Key out to the 3 pt line where she is essentially useless on defense. Hollingshead can play out there and her length was bothering the Gonzaga guards. Franklin should have had the bulk of center minutes. And Marta should not have played. She is a classic tweener. Too slow for guard/forward, and not big enough or possessing enough leaping ability to be an effective post. Her skillset is that of a guard which leaves her no place to play in games like this. Kellie needs to tighten up and only play those players who are most productive with their minutes in competitive games.

BTW, if you watch the all-star games, Justine doesn't look outclassed, but she wasn't very productive. Rice from UCLA was one of the better ones so it is interesting to see that play out in how much they contributed in the game against each other the other day.

But in all honesty, worrying about lineups is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic until we address some of our systemic issues.

Hope I'm wrong, but think Pissott needs a couple of months w/o much playing time.

In the long haul, she may be our best player. For now, she is overmatched physically. Especially on the defensive end.

Just my nickel which I'm sure will draw fury.

We need to get it down to 8ish playing against the tough teams.

In my opinion, we need more physical players (like Striplen). I will admit, Striplen isn't in the top eight either.

Marta can be a Larry Bird type small forward with elite passing skills. However, the others aren't ready to catch some of that 'no look' passing stuff. So, Marta probably isn't in the top 8 either.

Not sure Miles or Walker are in the top-8 either. Wynn neither.

Does that leave us with eight to play?

He defends Holly, then says he isn’t, but what he is really doing is undermining Kellie, saying she has been found wanting because after all, Holly made it to one Sweet Sixteen, and 2 Elite Eights in her Head Coaching career, and Kellie “hasn’t been able to match even those lower standards.” Kellie has only had the opportunity to go to the NCAA tournament twice, which she did.

This guy said this stuff a couple of years ago, it is not new. I know you mean well, but this guy has been against Kellie from the beginning. He’s just not as obvious as Darth.
Aren't you the guy who thought he uncovered clear proof that the refs are cheating for UConn because you didn't know that the shot clock resets to 20 when a foul is called? I'm sure your coaching/fanbase analytical skill is about as solid as your knowledge of basic basketball game rules.

Now, it appears a time out should have been called to advance the ball, but could it have been called by rule to advance the ball...Franklin had passed ball under basket and it was knocked out of bounds by Zag player....

So, I will buy that excuse. That did happen. And, I can understand why you can't advance the ball after a good defensive play of tipping ball out of bounds.

Kellie is still in the dog house, but I can accept that as a reasonable answer.

And, I don't fault her for inbounding to Horston or Jackson with 15 seconds.

Reactions: GameTime

A timeout was called but it couldn't be advanced on that timeout. I thought she could have called a second timeout and advanced the ball then. I'm not sure of the rule there but thought I had seen it done before. The staff appear to be mistaken on how many timeouts they had left after that called timeout. Kellie thought it was one but she actually had 2 left at that time.

Okay, on the replay at 1: 57 after Rickea Jackson scored to put the LVs up 4, the announcer goes "Time Out Tennessee" and it looked liked Kellie called the TO.

I think the official record may be wrong and Tennessee did take one. A lot of confusion but I think this may not have been such a big screw-up after all.

The timeout drama continues ...so we lost only because kellie was lied to about how many time outs we had ? I thought it was because the officiating was terrible ? Or key's play down low was uninspiring ? Until we face the fact that we have a plethora of problems to fix with our team , our staff and the program we are going continue to fall into this abyss of loserville and lose the once prominent prestige of 8 time champions.

Reactions: Harvey Peak
Darth after the South Carolina football game this past Saturday night, this is nothing...
superman-ball.gif

Okay, on the replay at 1: 57 after Rickea Jackson scored to put the LVs up 4, the announcer goes "Time Out Tennessee" and it looked liked Kellie called the TO.

I think the official record may be wrong and Tennessee did take one. A lot of confusion but I think this may not have been such a big screw-up after all.
Announcer said timeout Tennessee but I think that got turned into a media timeout. I think Gonzaga then called a 30 we didn't see when commercials were playing. I think that is the exact point we lost track.

So that is listed as a media TO, followed immediately by one taken by the Zags. So, it is hard to see how the Kellie and staff would have thought they took it, unless on the very unlikely chance that the box score was wrong and it was a LV timeout.
Well if not then they can't count to four guess her Tennessee education done her wrong.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Announcer said timeout Tennessee but I think that got turned into a media timeout. I think Gonzaga then called a 30 we didn't see when commercials were playing. I think that is the exact point we lost track.
I hope that is what happened I would feel really bad for the team and Kellie if they failed to take advantage of a timeout.

Looks like the Maria burner accounts are in full effect today.

"Golly, they've made so much progress making it a competitive game against an unranked team!"

"Gee whiz, they would have won if it wasn't for the refs!"

if a coach blames the ref for a loss, then they would have to credit them in a win,,,right?

that said, the reffing sucked wind and not at just the end of the game.

I hope that is what happened I would feel really bad for the team and Kellie if they failed to take advantage of a timeout.
I don't think they realized it became a media timeout. Someone dropped the ball. Either an official didn't inform them or the assistant in charge of keeping track forgot that they were told.

if a coach blames the ref for a loss, then they would have to credit them in a win,,,right?

that said, the reffing sucked wind and not at just the end of the game.
Wasn't about the end of the game the whole game like you said. In a game this close Refs make a difference because possessions are so much more important.

I don't think they realized it became a media timeout. Someone dropped the ball. Either an official didn't inform them or the assistant in charge of keeping track forgot that they were told.
I think that is it because she was calling for one and it became a media and she did not know that.

VN Store

Back