Mark Stoops signs extension at KY through 2030

Yep. UK is a place that if they get a great coach, they will eventually lose them. In a case like Stoops, he's UK good but imo he's not next level good.

Things change, but to me the only way a place like UK ever gets and keeps a top notch coach is if he played at UK and he's one of their own, and even then they'd have to have gotten him when he was an "up and comer".
The only way a place like UK ever gets and keeps a top notch coach is if he is a basketball coach.

Their problem is that none of those 5-10 coaches would leave their current job to go to Kentucky, and they know that.
Still there are plenty of coaches I go after before giving stoops that money. Stoops is a top 40 coach, good for Kentucky, but that is top 5 money, I would look for an upgrade.

Freeze, Fickel, Dykes, Fleck, leipold, Klieman, would all see Kentucky as a step up imo. Maybe not Fickel, and Dykes maybe right behind Fickel. But at that dollar amount they are listening. Plenty of others wouldnt see Kentucky as a step up but for that money they might consider it.

I doubt any of Auburn, Nebraska, and Wisconsin get close to that number.

Still there are plenty of coaches I go after before giving stoops that money. Stoops is a top 40 coach, good for Kentucky, but that is top 5 money, I would look for an upgrade.

Freeze, Fickel, Dykes, Fleck, leipold, Klieman, would all see Kentucky as a step up imo. Maybe not Fickel, and Dykes maybe right behind Fickel. But at that dollar amount they are listening. Plenty of others wouldnt see Kentucky as a step up but for that money they might consider it.

I doubt any of Auburn, Nebraska, and Wisconsin get close to that number.
It's somewhat debatable that each of those guys would view UK as a step up from their current job, and each of those guys are also lined up to eventually take a job that is better than UK eventually, assuming they want it. I don't think any of them would leave their current positions to go to UK.

It's somewhat debatable that each of those guys would view UK as a step up from their current job, and each of those guys are also lined up to eventually take a job that is better than UK eventually, assuming they want it. I don't think any of them would leave their current positions to go to UK.
Kliemans: 4.3 million.
Leipold: 3 million
Fleck: 4.3
Fickel: 5
Freeze: 5
Dyke: 6

Kentucky itself may not be an upgrade. But most people arent going to turn away at least a 50% pay increase when it comes with Kentucky's expectations.

Especially as most of those are in the Big 12, or will be, and their schools will be making peanuts compared to the SEC to go with the resources.

Kentucky itself may not be an upgrade. But most people arent going to turn away at least a 50% pay increase when it comes with Kentucky's expectations.

Especially as most of those are in the Big 12, or will be, and their schools will be making peanuts compared to the SEC to go with the resources.
Like I said, each of those guys is in line to eventually make that kind of money somewhere, and at a better place than UK. And I'm not sure UK would offer Kleiman, Leipold, Fleck, or Dykes $8m. Fickell and Freeze, probably.

Like I said, each of those guys is in line to eventually make that kind of money somewhere, and at a better place than UK. And I'm not sure UK would offer Kleiman, Leipold, Fleck, or Dykes $8m. Fickell and Freeze, probably.
But why wait for the better job making less? Moving to Kentucky pays you more now and you can still leave for better and better will have to outbid Kentucky for you. Its win win

Dykes is probably going to the playoffs in year 1.

Leipold has Kansas bowling, and the same record as Kentucky.
Kleiman is taking K State to their conferences championship in year two. Synder only had two titles in 20+ years and he is their Neyland.

But why wait for the better job making less? Moving to Kentucky pays you more now and you can still leave for better and better will have to outbid Kentucky for you. Its win win

Dykes is probably going to the playoffs in year 1.

Leipold has Kansas bowling, and the same record as Kentucky.
Kleiman is taking K State to their conferences championship in year two. Synder only had two titles in 20+ years and he is their Neyland.
Because the grass isn't always greener. Fickell and Freeze have their respective schools rolling. It isn't easy to win at UK; that's why Stoops has done a good job there. It's easy to get stuck in a rut there and win 4-5 games a season. Fickell in particular I think wants the Ohio St job someday. Why leave Cincy, where you already make good money and have a path to the playoff starting in a couple years, to potentially go to UK and flame out and then never get a shot at the Ohio St job?

The salaries at lower-tier jobs are so good now that you don't necessarily have to jump at the first intermediate job that comes along. You can wait for the destination job.

Reactions: Plecoptera

Them's some bargains right there. Leipold is a real coach. He could get a lot of mileage with UK talent. I hope he stays out of the SEC, unless he ends up here.

The coach salary tornado is off the rails. Those agents and attorneys are dang good at what they do. The issue now is that schools are screwed and have to pony up with insane contracts and buyouts, regardless of performance. There's only so much in the kitty, so this sucks away from things like facility upgrades, money for other sports, etc. It's not a promising trend.

It reminds me of when the NBA salary bumped up by $25M in one season. “Wait it costs $20M/year for that guy?!?! That guy gets a $150M contract?!” It’s just the market now. It’s crazy

Crazy money for that man and that job.
In 6 years are we going to see 20 million a year for a coach?
Something's got to give.

Is it though? Imagine the money they would have spent had he left in the last few years and a coach failed? Sometimes the loyalty is worth “overpaying” to keep stability.

Unlike Tennessee, Kentucky has gone a decade without having to pay buyouts for firings and buyouts for hirings.

Nowhere but NCAA football can someone get paid for being terrible. Good job UK, you have shown why you are UK.

Reactions: Zues1

VN Store

Back