Heupel and head coaching decisions

The defense definitely called it in.
Based on the pressers today.
Now what was the underlying reason they came into the game taking SC for granted?

South Carolina scored TDS on 9 of 10 drives. It doesn’t matter if Banks played or not. Rattler was Oklahoma Spencer Rattler and our secondary is one of the worst. We were losing that game no matter what.
You're not following. The defense was playing at 30% and on purpose.

Reactions: Tnslim1
If several of our D players freely chose to let this happen then ALL of those players need to LEAVE our beloved UT and be replaced.

We absolutely NEVER need guys playing for us that would do something like that!

There are zero legit reasons for doing something like that NONE!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: Tman44
Part of being a leader, or in this case the Head Coach, is making tough decisions. Action is better than inaction. Doing the right thing is sometimes hard when it isn't going to be the popular choice.

Other people have started to fill in the blanks. It was not one issue or incident. And involved multiple players and coaches. He was warned to stop and he did not.

If our defensive players slacked off, were distracted, or confused without their defensive leader doesn’t matter. His absence affected the team, but shouldn’t have. His outbursts affected the team and left the coach with no choice. Sad this game will overshadow so much of what this team did this year.

Last edited:
NIL and jealousy amongst these young men, this will kill college football

The only way NIL will work is keep players' accounts private; have a manager for the accounts and dole out a similar amount every two weeks with the bulk to be transferred when the player leaves. Complicated? Yep. But it can be done.

Reactions: Stacmot
South Carolina scored TDS on 9 of 10 drives. It doesn’t matter if Banks played or not. Rattler was Oklahoma Spencer Rattler and our secondary is one of the worst. We were losing that game no matter what.

Wrong. That was not a TEAM last Saturday night. Tennessee held uga down much better than that. Alabama even. SC couldn't even score before Sat Night.

All the locker room issues, egos, or whatever it is needs fixed before Saturday. If it isn't, it will be a long game Saturday night.

I'm really disappointed in Heupel. If there was a small altercation and Banks missed meetings/practice or classes I get he had to send a message to everyone and sit him. But he needed to have the full team support his decision because it was clear the defense didn't. We were sitting #5 with the UM vs OSU game the following week.

A little to Butch for me with the situation.

NIL and jealousy amongst these young men, this will kill college football
AGREE !!!
First team that figures out how to manage it like the NFL manages it will be light years ahead

I recall on Hard Knocks this year with the Detroit Lions seeing the DE from Michigan standing up and stating he got a 20 mill signing bonus.
Next day the LB picked in a later round stood up adn basically said he got some cool shoes as a signing bonus.
Granted there is a talent disparity there that is graded out by production and selection in the draft, but there still is going to be some level of have / have not in that locker room.
How those teams manage that is going to be the key to unlocking the true potential of NIL.

Heupel had to make a huge coaching decision on Saturday. It is almost indisputable at this point that a conflict happened involving Jeremy Banks. We could never know whether it was a fail drug test or something else. But he definitely was not arrested. This along with Heuple‘s refusal to elaborate on the issue gives legs to the rumors floating around.

So here’s the question… Does anybody believe a coach like Nick Saban would have suspended his defensive captain and team leader over an internal disruption/dispute that did not involve any legal issues? I’d say absolutely not. I think Saban probably understands how important continuity is and the residual effect of essentially siding with one player over another. Hell…Saban didn’t bench a wr that struck an opposing teams fan on the field despite getting ripped in the media for it.

I don’t believe the Defense came out and decided not to play hard. But we are going to play talented teams every week and there is anything off psychologically going into a game it could make a huge impact.

Think about what the ramifications of benching Jeremy banks apparently are. We had a great opportunity to go to the playoffs and have our quarterback win the Heisman Trophy. No matter how bright the future might be nobody could believe that’s going to happen here with any regularity. History says that this might be the closest Heupel ever comes. Just think 5 years down the road will he look back at the decision to bench banks with regret? Will it be the biggest mistake of his entire career? What is Heupel had pulled Jeremy Banks and others involved into a room and let them hash it out without any suspensions or anything getting out in the media. How differently could Saturday have turned out? If Jeremy Banks is out on the field and the defense is forcing some punts… Is Hendon hooker even running that play trying to lead a come back down three touchdowns late in the game? I think most people would believe that if the situation had been handled differently we’d have likely won the game and would still have Hooker at the helm.

Coaches are essentially CEO’s of billion dollar entities at this level. It’s not just teaching technique, calling plays, and creating game plans. It is so much more than that. Managing personalities and the psychology of a team going into a game is a big part of the job. And we’ll never know all the details that lead to the suspension on Saturday. But in hindsight… I sure as hell hope that suspension was warranted because the price our team paid is staggering.

What was it Page said "don't look back they be gainin on you" (paraphrased). AND really!! You think one player would have made a difference in the the outcome of this game?? Really? Face it - our backside defense is just not good enough to holdup without rushing the QB with pretty go success,,,, again Banks only one man. Maybe not as bad a beating but still would have lost to a team playing out of their minds.

Other people have started to fill in the blanks. It was not one issue or incident. And in involved multiple players and coaches. He was warned to stop and he did not.

If our defensive players slacked off, were distracted, or confused without their defensive leader doesn’t matter. His absence affected the team, but shouldn’t have. His outbursts affected the team and left the coach with no choice. Sad this game will overshadow so much of what this team did this year.
Another sad facet of the situation is that , if true and ot comes out that it is true, Banks has seriously hurt his draft stock.
Sucks because he had seemed to work this year on improving his game and by all accounts was a mid to late round pick.
If this kind of cancerous locker room behavior comes out as true he'll likely go undrafted.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
OP one of the "we should have never hired Heupel chorus" and just wants to prove his point. CJH has taken a program in the crapper that lost 30 or 40 players some of which were the best on the team. He put the team together with bailing wire and duck tape and got a winning first season. Then he took essentially the same group and was ranked #1 for a while this season and has not yet got his type of players here yet. Now some of the dumbkopf fans who didn't like the hire are making cases to run him off. This is the most insane logic we have ever seen and shows why the AD should ignore irrational fans.

Reactions: Lurker
Welp it appears that Mr. James Banks wasn't Rehabilitated; At All. STILL a knucklehead. I hope He never wears orange again. Clearly Sabotaged a potentially great season. and COULD be blamed for the Hooker injury; (Hendon trying too hard to stay close) Other guys on the Defense were jealous of the Offense's Fame, (Flowers commented that Tennessee wasn't just about Offense) but Banks was the ringleader & Instigator.

If JH can look in the mirror, and sleep at night, so can I.
I‘m behind him 100%, not any less.

This!

Not one of us keyboard jockeys is qualified to coach the Vols, no matter how deluded we get from time to time. Saturday was disappointing, yes, but it was not the end of the world. Heupel, the other coaches, and the members of this team have done something extraordinary this season --- something very few to none of us could or would have predicted last summer.

Then, they tripped up. Now we have to see if they know how to get back up after having hit the floor. I'm betting "yes" from what I've seen.

And get off Coach Banks' back until he recruits his guys and demonstrates he can't coach. So far, for a former Big 10 guy, he's been a defensive magician given the breakneck speed of the scheme run by our offense and the kids he inherited from that great SEC-trained coach --Pruitt.

Everything's gonna be alright. Go Vols!

Reactions: OldVolMan
If the coach thinks he needs to stay home, then he needs to stay home.

If one ever loses that power, then there will most certainly be a mutiny on the Bounty.
What we saw on the field didn’t look like anyone maintaining power. It looked like a mutiny.

Banks or no Banks, we give up more passing yards than the vast majority of teams in the country. SC exploited this fact and whipped our ass. That is the reality of the situation.
Statistically, only one team gives up more. One. We’re worse than Vandy in pass defense.

What we saw on the field didn’t look like anyone maintaining power. It looked like a mutiny.
We all need to get over it. Mutiny or not it will eventually show up in the Portal or some player will leak out what happened. Until now all we have is speculation and it is painful drama.

Welp it appears that Mr. James Banks wasn't Rehabilitated; At All. STILL a knucklehead. I hope He never wears orange again. Clearly Sabotaged a potentially great season. and COULD be blamed for the Hooker injury; (Hendon trying too hard to stay close) Other guys on the Defense were jealous of the Offense's Fame, (Flowers commented that Tennessee wasn't just about Offense) but Banks was the ringleader & Instigator.

I hate to think this, but we all saw defensively was less than a high school defense....We played the softest zone a team could play...At critical times a 15 yard cushion...It was absurd.....Tackling angles that had no chance to make the tackle...Receivers catching the ball with no one within 10 yards of him.....What a pitiful defensive effort...

We all need to get over it. Mutiny or not it will eventually show up in the Portal or some player will leak out what happened. Until now all we have is speculation and it is painful drama.
Easier said than done. Everybody deals with the frustration and disappointment differently. If it were that easy, we wouldn’t have forums like this, because no one would care. We haven’t even played the next game.

Would be worse if we took Banks with us.

Can you imagine serving in a marine forward group. And the leader asking for a show of hands on who voted to charge that hill?

Right or wrong, Coach Hype is taking charge. That is how it should work.

Would be worse if we took Banks with us.

Can you imagine serving in a marine forward group. And the leader asking for a show of hands on who voted to charge that hill?

Right or wrong, Coach Hype is taking charge. That is how it should work.
Unless you know something the rest of us don’t, you’re grossly overplaying your hand.

What I saw is the defense failing so miserably, that the only explanation is mutiny. The results don’t exactly scream “leadership.”

Easier said than done. Everybody deals with the frustration and disappointment differently. If it were that easy, we wouldn’t have forums like this, because no one would care. We haven’t even played the next game.
I just take issue with the mutiny theory. No way.
A mutiny would entail that over half of the players laid down.
Something happened it flipped a switch and for a Mutiny to occur it would have had to have time to do so. 5-7 days is not enough time.
I am sure some on the team have no clue what the details are regarding Banks absence. They have heard rumors but that may be all the information they have to go on.

Unless you know something the rest of us don’t, you’re grossly overplaying your hand.

What I saw is the defense failing so miserably, that the only explanation is mutiny. The results don’t exactly scream “leadership.”

The coach always has control over playing time. Your personal issues are a non-factor.

If you don't like the product on Saturday night at Candybilt, then turn off your television.

The coach always has control over playing time. Your personal issues are a non-factor.

If you don't like the product on Saturday night at Candybilt, then turn off your television.
There ya go, another zero sum patriot!! Turn in your fan card!!!!

VN Store

Back