Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

I listened to the 4th qt in car and Brian Rice was upset saying the phantom foul calls on us the walk and then the big pushed Jordan off to get the game winning shot. It sounds like the officials were determined to help the Zags stay and win this game. He was very adamant. In CHRIST Alone
If they no called the charge *Jordan clearly out of the restricted area) they can't call the travel! Let the girls play!

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
A lot of excuses being made right now , Players slipped , tech shouldnt have been called on franklin , Travel was the game deciding call and not one in regards to the defensive mistakes after each situation along with the call's from the sidelines.
That travel call should have never been made. Let the players decide the game,not the refs!

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
If they no called the charge *Jordan clearly out of the restricted area) they can't call the travel! Let the girls play!
There was no charge. It was an embarrassingly obvious flop. If they had called that a charge, it would have been as bad a call as the phantom travel.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Just a reminder. In terms of losing, our 3 worse losing seasons in history were all under Holly. And those happened in 3 of her last 4 years. At this point I think it is unfair to say Coach Kellie is Holly 2.0. If we have a couple seasons with double digit loses, then comparisons may be fair.

Based on some post in the past, it sounds like when Holly was replaced a lot of people wanted a female coach with ties to UT. I thought that would hamper getting the best possible coach. When Kellie was announced, I was ok with it because she had been an assistant to Wes Moore and I figure maybe that was even as valuable an experience as playing for Pat. I was somewhat concerned that her husband was her assistant because again that limited their search for the best assistant available but I figured it might work out.

I thought last year went fairly well and with the transfers, I (along with the pollsters and a lot of fans) thought this season could be something special (finish ranked in top 5) if everyone stayed healthy. It has not started out that way but I can see Kellie trying different things/lineups and I thought the game yesterday was much better even though we lost. Of course there are some things I think she and the players should do differently as many have already posted here. I think every fan thinks that way. Anyway, I have not given up hope for the team or Coach Kellie, yet.

Just a reminder. In terms of losing, our 3 worse losing seasons in history were all under Holly. And those happened in 3 of her last 4 years. At this point I think it is unfair to say Coach Kellie is Holly 2.0. If we have a couple seasons with double digit loses, then comparisons may be fair.

Based on some post in the past, it sounds like when Holly was replaced a lot of people wanted a female coach with ties to UT. I thought that would hamper getting the best possible coach. When Kellie was announced, I was ok with it because she had been an assistant to Wes Moore and I figure maybe that was even as valuable an experience as playing for Pat. I was somewhat concerned that her husband was her assistant because again that limited their search for the best assistant available but I figured it might work out.

I thought last year went fairly well and with the transfers, I (along with the pollsters and a lot of fans) thought this season could be something special (finish ranked in top 5) if everyone stayed healthy. It has not started out that way but I can see Kellie trying different things/lineups and I thought the game yesterday was much better even though we lost. Of course there are some things I think she and the players should do differently as many have already posted here. I think every fan thinks that way. Anyway, I have not given up hope for the team or Coach Kellie, yet.
. Reminder Holly isn’t the coach anymore, time to let that excuse sleep.

. Reminder Holly isn’t the coach anymore, time to let that excuse sleep.

I totally agree, and neither is Pat. I get tired of the posts posts saying sayinyPat would have gotten in their face, or Pat would have made them run to the rafters, or Pat would have blah blah blah.
Pat was a great coach in a different era. Tittle IX has made schools pay attention to their WB program and there is a lot more competition for the best players and the players are much better now.

Last edited:
To get excellence as a coach you have to demand it. Sometimes you have to get up in players grills in order to get their best. I can’t blame this situation on the players. If a coach does not have the ability to determine which players hustle, which players have the right physicality, which players have the fire and desire, each player’s skill sets, and which players are fundamentally sound then they shouldn’t be in coach, especially at the power 5 level.
Key is a mystery to me. It almost seems like she is ill,or under the weather so to speak.

I totally agree, and neither is Pat. I get tired of the posts posts saying sayinyPat would have gotten in their face, or Pat would have made them run to the rafters, or Pat would have blah blah blah.
Pat was a great coach in a different era. Tittle IX has made schools pay attention to their WB program and there is a lot more competition for the best players and the players are much better now.
Said it last week... Pat also took the locker room away from players when things went south. No coddling, no running, just self reflection on the brand and what it means to wear that jersey. Early 90's it was over a month., different time back then yes, but take away the comforts and perks. Earn it back.

Everyone is accepting of kellie's vague excuse for not advancing the ball , yet everyone does not except when a player is going through a tough stretch instead they pile on them LOL. Has jesus returned and i missed it lol ?

Said it last week... Pat also took the locker room away from players when things went south. No coddling, no running, just self reflection on the brand and what it means to wear that jersey. Early 90's it was over a month., different time back then yes, but take away the comforts and perks. Earn it back.
Wouldn't work in today's culture..(unfortunately)

Reactions: Voluble2
I just saw that when I rewatched the end of the game. Yeah, that was uncalled for. Her behavior after the losses has been atrocious, and she needs to learn how to win AND lose with some class.
Learn how to win from Kellie ? Im sure they are just as pissed at the staff as some fans are. We have to be fair with our criticism and not try protect one side. WE NEED the players , we can always get another coach.

There are still players out there that would thrive in and love that kind of culture. Most of them are not ranked top 30-40 and end up playing at places with less fanfare than the UT’s of the world. You see them all the time on teams like Indiana, Iowa, Princeton, Creighton, Gonzaga etc., kids who were tough and dedicated even though not as highly recruited. It’s fun to watch them play, but rarely do they break through to a final four type team, though it can happen.

They can survive. Most NAIA, D3, D2 and lower level D1 schools get by on far less. No need to mention JUCO and what they have just to be able to play the game.

Some posters are voicing their displeasure with the team and coach and with the record and coaching mistakes they have a right to and that doesn't take away from them being a true fan but for the ones who think being critical of the team right now is wrong that to me is a you problem.im still in the give it more time thinking but Im absolutely ok with the posters who are critical of this poor start and think they are well within their rights and freedom of speech to speak on it and if the Lady Vols turn it around and all is well with everyone then we shouldn't criticize the ones who were disappointed at the start because they are speaking facts as to the start of the season isn't what we expected so all opinions whether criticizing or staying positive or somewhere in the middle should be respected

Always gratifying to meet another James Joyce fan.

Learn how to win from Kellie ? Im sure they are just as pissed at the staff as some fans are. We have to be fair with our criticism and not try protect one side. WE NEED the players , we can always get another coach.

Jimbo Fisher may soon be available if we can come up with $85 mill.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Everyone is accepting of kellie's vague excuse for not advancing the ball , yet everyone does not except when a player is going through a tough stretch instead they pile on them LOL. Has jesus returned and i missed it lol ?

By rule, she couldn't advance in that situation. There are many criticisms. This is not one.

Well, I'll throw in something controversial (starting off with a disclaimer). I love Rickea and am glad we have her. Undoubtedly, she expected a calmer, more successful start to her LV career after the turmoil she experience at Miss State.

If her walking off the court and ignoring the Zags (as well as her teammates) was as bad as described, I personally think that it would be a good move for Rickea to issue a brief apology. She's passionate and understandably upset (as good players should be), but it certainly is a bad look for her and the team if it becomes a habit. She's not the first player to do so and won't be the last, but (imo) she needs to consider the image she creates postgame.

Just a suggestion. Maybe there was some other personal or physical issue going on.

By rule, she couldn't advance in that situation. There are many criticisms. This is not one.
I think the reason they're calling it vague is because she said in the same sentence that she couldn't advance the ball because an action had already taken place and she didn't want to burn her last timeout in case there might be a risk for a 5 sec violation. If the first part of the statement was true (I don't remember the play), then the 2nd part makes no sense. That's why it's confusing.

If effort or insubordination were the main issues I think this would be appropriate. Our main issues right now are cohesion and definition of roles. The coaches need to narrow down the PT and give the players clear instructions, then there can be tough love if the players do not execute.

VN Store

Back