How does the defense get fixed moving forward?

No doubt however how much defensive improvement have you seen from last year to now?

Look at common opponents I can spot 1 KY but I can also spot several where it was worse.

No improvement, from bad D = coach needs to go.
What players on this defense would start for a playoff team? The defense is mediocre at best. If y'all think a coach will fix their inability to play man or zone.....

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
How does Huepel go about fixing our defense? I know a lot of us would say recruiting. We have three 4 star CB's committed at this point. We have several highly ranked d-line commits which will help put pressure on the QB which we know is important. Will 3 highly ranked CB's help us out enough next year? Does it even matter if our defensive coaching staff stays the same? I mean look what our offense has produced with what we have! Most of our offensive guys were not highly ranked in recruiting. Coaching has just brought out the best in them. Defense has not been the same. It seems that Huepel had a hard time getting a defensive coordinator when he was hired. Could he do any better now if he decided to move on from Banks or is the offense we run make d-coordinators just not want to come here? Huepel has done such a good job overall but if he wants to ever take the next step we have to have a top 20-30 defense. I think that would be enough to have us competing for championships if our offense stays towards the top. What do you think Huepel has to do to get our defense fixed? How long should we realistically expect it to take?

Maybe we should swap the DL with the DBs? Can't get any worse can it? lol

What players on this defense would start for a playoff team? The defense is mediocre at best. If y'all think a coach will fix their inability to play man or zone.....

Maybe none I have no idea.

With the O Tennessee has they don’t need an elite D to be really good.

Tennessee certainly has the personal to not allow Martin to gain almost 400 on them……to let SC gain 600+ on them……to let Ball ST gain nearly 400 on them…….to let Richardson pass for 450+ on them.

This is not the most lopsided lack of talented D roster in FBS……….therefore Anemic O’s should not be allowed to preform better than they do vs FCS teams.

I’ve made excuses for the D for 2 seasons. I’ve tried everything to skew the D stats. It simply is what it is. And Banks is not working at Tennessee.

It’s total BS, the players were hurt and mad after the game. Nobody threw the game. Any true Vol fan that really believes that needs to quit following them. I know I would, but I know it isn’t the truth. Did they have things on their mind yes, but they weren’t out there trying to lose. We had them stopped twice in the 3rd quarter and got a few questionable calls that kept drives alive. We played bad, they played great. A few times we had it covered pretty good their quarterback made perfect throws. It was one of them nights that happens now and then. The key is bouncing back, that is the best was to stop the insanity talk. GBO
9CCDB191-BD11-408C-AFCE-5D85262DF7D8.gif

Maybe none I have no idea.

With the O Tennessee has they don’t need an elite D to be really good.

Tennessee certainly has the personal to not allow Martin to gain almost 400 on them……to let SC gain 600+ on them……to let Ball ST gain nearly 400 on them…….to let Richardson pass for 450+ on them.

This is not the most lopsided lack of talented D roster in FBS……….therefore Anemic O’s should not be allowed to preform better than they do vs FCS teams.

I’ve made excuses for the D for 2 seasons. I’ve tried everything to skew the D stats. It simply is what it is. And Banks is not working at Tennessee.

We are still suffering from the transfer portal exodus under Pruitt. We got some replacement players in, but they don't have enough experience in this system.

Still, the secondary has no excuse to suck that bad.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I feel like a pass rush would be a decent start. In the games we looked good defensively (LSU, KY), we absolutely GOT AFTER the qb with a combo of mostly the front 4 and linebacker pressures with stunts and twists and gap integrity. Now, that has not been consistent at all and was NO WHERE to be found at sc for whatever reason, but one has to consider the injuries and lack of depth, along with playcall.

We are still suffering from the transfer portal exodus under Pruitt. We got some replacement players in, but they don't have enough experience in this system.

Still, the secondary has no excuse to suck that bad.

there literally is no excuse to suck as bad as they have.

Tennessee cannot allow FCS Martin to gain 400 yards and score 24 points. It literally doesn’t matter what kind of roster Tennessee is dealing with……..that’s an FCS team and Tennessee is WAY above them.

SC gained 500 and 50 on their FCS team and averaged 21 vs SEC teams………Tennessee’s D roster has ZERO to do with allowing them to get 63. 42 over the average is not because you have some deficiencies…………..it’s a build up of terrible D all season long that exploded.

I’ll give them they played good D vs LSU and amazing D vs KY (but KYs O is BAD).

Coach Heupel is going to need to learn how to run that offense that allows substitution and time clock control or else his defenses will not hold up for entire season.
But I will say this , with a 12 team playoff around the corner allowing 2 losses get in then maybe it won’t matter.
Still cannot gas ⛽️ out the defense dudes will drop like flys throughout season.

After the season fire Banks

Hire a legit, proven DC.

We saw it work quickly with Heupel on O. I’m down for some time……..but give us improvement.

All this O needs is a decent D. Banks D is garbage.

Say by some miracle this happens what "Legit Proven DC" do we have a realistic shot of bringing in?

Who wouldn't want to come to a top ten team in the SEC that was recently ranked number one.

Not going down this rabbit hole. Before you fire a coach you have to have names. So again if Banks is fired who can we get. It's a natural progression. Remember how just firing an athlete director and knee jerk replacing him with a former great coach went for us?

Say by some miracle this happens what "Legit Proven DC" do we have a realistic shot of bringing in?

depends on $$

Tons of good DC’s out there who’s teams have horrible O’s

Who are definitely under appreciated by $$

Who are on teams with coaches on the hot seat or coaches who could be leaving for better teams

Who have been a great DC for a long time and not gotten any real recognition

There’s plenty out there who would come if the $$ is right. Tennessee is not in the same place they were 2 or more years ago. Not to mention the talent level is rising and stars are coming……..and Tennessee is getting plenty of hype.

And a DC doesn’t have to worry about carrying the entire load.

depends on $$

Tons of good DC’s out there who’s teams have horrible O’s

Who are definitely under appreciated by $$

Who are on teams with coaches on the hot seat or coaches who could be leaving for better teams

Who have been a great DC for a long time and not gotten any real recognition

There’s plenty out there who would come if the $$ is right. Tennessee is not in the same place they were 2 or more years ago. Not to mention the talent level is rising and stars are coming……..and Tennessee is getting plenty of hype.

And a DC doesn’t have to worry about carrying the entire load.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I asked for names

It does take an injection of better athletes. It simply starts there.

Banks and staff had a terrible game plan. It appears they didnt have a 'fall back" plan either which isnt good. The adjustment SC made wasnt a masterful plan. They didnt think they could line up and run it so they decided to max protect and burn the weakest part of Tennessee's defense. You have got to anticipate those type of adjustments.

So, what would your backup plan have been?

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I asked for names

Well for the most part “us fans” don’t have the answers to what I brought up. However I’m sure Heupel, White, or someone in the program could. We don’t even know what kind of $$ their willing. That’s why I said what I said.

I don’t mind giving names; however without answers……no one will know.

Many have suggested:

Ryan Walters, young, good experience, coached with Heupel, has one of the best D’s in the country this season.

Barry Odem, I’m not keen on this one. Former HC, big name, but are his D’s great?

Derek Mason, former HC, had great success, terrible this season (one season does not define).

Phil Parker, probably a no go but also probably the best in the country. Offer the man a ton and see what happens.

DJ Durkin, great DC in a terrible situation at A&M

So, what would your backup plan have been?

I’d had a plan to bring pressure. Every game. That has been when this defense has been best. Hell he did it with the game on the line vs Ala. Why he didn’t have or use a pressure game plan is beyond me. Sometimes you gotta lose doing what you do best.

I’d had a plan to bring pressure. Every game. That has been when this defense has been best. Hell he did it with the game on the line vs Ala. Why he didn’t have or use a pressure game plan is beyond me. Sometimes you gotta lose doing what you do best.

Yeah, that's the obvious take, and what I thought, too. What could have been his reason for not doing it? They had no running game so it couldn't have been that.

VN Store

Back