Something feels off

There’s a difference in a coach being fraudulent and us not actually turning the corner as much as we originally thought. Even after the Georgia game it felt like 2024 would be the year we really had a shot at winning it all. After last night though it feels like that momentum has hit a brick wall and it may never happen
Heupel has elevated this whole roster. Hooker was no where close to what he is now compared to when he was playing at VT. Everyone across the board has developed dramatically. In hindsight, the defensive secondary has to get better there’s no way around it. That cupboard was pretty bare when he got here and so I think this recruiting class will shore some things up.

Something definitely is off. Nobody is gonna get me to believe SC is a better team than us. I mean did anyone listen to Heupels post game? He seemed totally different. Like something else was weighing on his mind. Compare his post game against UGA to this one. TOTALLY different.

I don’t know if it’s the Banks thing or not. But something is definitely not right.
Exactly…SC is bad. All you have to do is ask yourself, with this past weeks results already known, would SC be picked to win next week in a rematch.

And I guarantee not one analyst would pick SC to win the game. Of course some SC fans now would, but that would be it.

For whatever reason the team [primarily the defensive side] decided not to show up. And you could see it very early on. Something is or had happened it appears. I guess we’ll find out.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
There’s a difference in a coach being fraudulent and us not actually turning the corner as much as we originally thought. Even after the Georgia game it felt like 2024 would be the year we really had a shot at winning it all. After last night though it feels like that momentum has hit a brick wall and it may never happen

What I think you don't understand is that I am mocking you for saying "LSU Bammer and Florida might be fool's gold". Those were all quality wins, collectively better than any of what our previous 4 coaches ever did. Hell, you could take the top three wins of Dooley (LOL!) Jones (at least did beat uga and UF) and Poot and they don't measure up.

Let's try to stay anchored to reality here.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
The question is WHY SC had their perfect game vs us. The entire discussion is that J Banks is at the center of a locker room rift that demoralized and divided the entire team so basically we were a no show. He’s our D QB and he didn’t make the trip so you be the judge.

Not showing up vs SC is different than our beat down vs GA. And yes this absolutely matters.

So the logical extension is we either heal this rift or we’re gonna see same this week vs a suddenly motivated Vandy which actually has something on the line to play for.

Stay tuned to see which TN team shows up this week. You can’t make this stuff up.
I don’t know but it looked like a defensive mutiny. Hooker knew it. He seemed detached and unfocused. Remember these are just young people and it looked like the db’s just mailed it in. I think there’s a cancer in this locker room.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Heupel has elevated this whole roster. Hooker was no where close to what he is now compared to when he was playing at VT. Everyone across the board has developed dramatically. In hindsight, the defensive secondary has to get better there’s no way around it. That cupboard was pretty bare when he got here and so I think this recruiting class will shore some things up.
He’s elevated the offensive roster. This will go down as one of the worst pass defenses in UT history. Saturday night was the worst defensive effort I’ve ever witnessed

He’s elevated the offensive roster. This will go down as one of the worst pass defenses in UT history. Saturday night was the worst defensive effort I’ve ever witnessed
Yep I’ve acknowledged that. Secondary must get better. However the defensive front 7 has improved. I just think he didn’t have much to work with in the secondary from the beginning. Our safeties are extremely slow and there isn’t one true corner on this roster on my opinion.

First off, this entire calendar year has been special for this program. Landing Nico in the fall along with all of the other big time recruits along with beating Florida, Bama, and routing LSU in Death Valley regardless of it being a noon game had me along with 99% of college football fans and analysts thinking we were poised to become a national powerhouse again sooner rather than later. I have been a huge fan of Heupel and almost the entire staff since the Pitt game last season. I even think the Georgia game was a little closer than the score indicated. They hit on some big plays and we missed on a few we normally hit. Georgia is definitely the better team, but it seemed like we beat ourselves a lot. This team hasn’t responded well since then though. Particularly our defense. Even against Missouri we looked bad at times. We put it together eventually though. What happened last night was and still is mind boggling to me. Have the players stopped buying in since the loss to Georgia? Our defense has been mediocre all season, but not bad enough to get torched like that. I know there have been rumors circulating since last night, and they very well could be speculation. Something just doesn’t sit well with me though. I can completely understand coming out flat to open the game. The energy was never there on the defensive side of the ball though, and I knew from South Carolina’s second offensive possession last night that we would lose the game. Something just jumped out on the screen that gave me that feeling.

Which brings me to the question of how something last night could happen when so much was on the line. Being unprepared and a lack of talent doesn’t explain the performance we had last night. We just didn’t seem to care, and I don’t see how that could happen after the season we’ve had. What’s so scary about everything is we’re going into Vandy this weekend with a new QB coming off a heartbreaking loss with Vandy on top of the world and smelling blood. It sounds crazy, but Saturday could be the most important game of the season for us. Anything less than a decisive win will likely lead to every bit of momentum and the culture that this staff has built within this program to come crashing down, and if that bleeds over into next season we could have a serious problem. Am I wrong in thinking we could be entering next season in a worse position than we entered this season despite 3 massive wins that seemed like they were the rockets that this program needed strapped to it to send it to the stratosphere? I really hope that’s not the case, but there are a lot of 2016 feelings right now. I’m not saying Heupel is fraudulent by any means, but the Florida, Bama, and LSU wins feel like a little like fools gold right now
Fool's gold? Good grief.

UT lost. The Vols lost control of the game. There are probably a million contributing factors small and large. But the bottom line is that Heupel took over a roster with LOTS of issues that had just seen key players transfer out. In year two week 10 he had the Vols in the conversation for the CFP. So the "sky is falling" stuff is unwarranted.... and not particularly helpful.

There is NO 2016 feeling to this. That's ridiculous. Jones BADLY underperformed the talent on that roster. Heupel has GREATLY overperformed the talent on this roster... and it STILL isn't a full roster. The 2016 team was an OVERWHELMINGLY talented roster. This one is not. Both rosters were experienced.

He developed them. He coached them up.

There is a test coming. That test is whether Heupel makes the right decisions about his defensive staff. I'm not impressed with Banks but the truth is that none of us have enough information to make the decisions that have to be made. Heupel will either decide to go forward with who he has or make changes. Those decisions will very likely determine UT's success for the next several seasons.

Your Chicken Lil' post was wholly unnecessary. Crap happens. UT lost. USCe played way over their heads. UT played their worst game of the year. Not the first or last time that's going to happen in team sports.

First off, this entire calendar year has been special for this program. Landing Nico in the fall along with all of the other big time recruits along with beating Florida, Bama, and routing LSU in Death Valley regardless of it being a noon game had me along with 99% of college football fans and analysts thinking we were poised to become a national powerhouse again sooner rather than later. I have been a huge fan of Heupel and almost the entire staff since the Pitt game last season. I even think the Georgia game was a little closer than the score indicated. They hit on some big plays and we missed on a few we normally hit. Georgia is definitely the better team, but it seemed like we beat ourselves a lot. This team hasn’t responded well since then though. Particularly our defense. Even against Missouri we looked bad at times. We put it together eventually though. What happened last night was and still is mind boggling to me. Have the players stopped buying in since the loss to Georgia? Our defense has been mediocre all season, but not bad enough to get torched like that. I know there have been rumors circulating since last night, and they very well could be speculation. Something just doesn’t sit well with me though. I can completely understand coming out flat to open the game. The energy was never there on the defensive side of the ball though, and I knew from South Carolina’s second offensive possession last night that we would lose the game. Something just jumped out on the screen that gave me that feeling.

Which brings me to the question of how something last night could happen when so much was on the line. Being unprepared and a lack of talent doesn’t explain the performance we had last night. We just didn’t seem to care, and I don’t see how that could happen after the season we’ve had. What’s so scary about everything is we’re going into Vandy this weekend with a new QB coming off a heartbreaking loss with Vandy on top of the world and smelling blood. It sounds crazy, but Saturday could be the most important game of the season for us. Anything less than a decisive win will likely lead to every bit of momentum and the culture that this staff has built within this program to come crashing down, and if that bleeds over into next season we could have a serious problem. Am I wrong in thinking we could be entering next season in a worse position than we entered this season despite 3 massive wins that seemed like they were the rockets that this program needed strapped to it to send it to the stratosphere? I really hope that’s not the case, but there are a lot of 2016 feelings right now. I’m not saying Heupel is fraudulent by any means, but the Florida, Bama, and LSU wins feel like a little like fools gold right now
It was sorely on the defense side of the ball! You can see horns growing thru Huepels head in the interview. Last year it was the same scenario. Defense has gotten worse and like Heupel stated,it's unacceptable in this league. Any decent defense and we probably would've been undefeated this season period.

I don’t know but it looked like a defensive mutiny. Hooker knew it. He seemed detached and unfocused. Remember these are just young people and it looked like the db’s just mailed it in. I think there’s a cancer in this locker room.
Hooker didn't look like himself facially when the camera cut to him on the sidelines

Yep I’ve acknowledged that. Secondary must get better. However the defensive front 7 has improved. I just think he didn’t have much to work with in the secondary from the beginning. Our safeties are extremely slow and there isn’t one true corner on this roster on my opinion.
I find it hard to believe that out if that group, they can’t manage better than 130th. We are literally one spot from dead last, giving up 446 yards a game.

Reactions: mayneland
Did it even happen??

Yes, I am 1000000% sure it’s a fact. No I’m not an insider nor a big donor to the program. But my son is friends with a walk on player so he knows the details. But my son only told me the part that finally got out Saturday morning though it occurred earlier in the week.

Yes, I am 1000000% sure it’s a fact. No I’m not an insider nor a big donor to the program. But my son is friends with a walk on player so he knows the details. But my son only told me the part that finally got out Saturday morning though it occurred earlier in the week.
Thanks

Reactions: vol94

It makes complete sense and now SC and their fans are acting like they’ve won the NC. Makes me sick.

Jesus...Ill wait until you finish the book to start reading that....

It makes complete sense and now SC and their fans are acting like they’ve won the NC. Makes me sick.

Yeah, I hear you. Having coached years of youth sports and being around it, I completely understand individualistic awards over “team.” It’s a difficult concept to live and breathe every day. We all want the respect and recognition when our companies do well or if another person receives a promotion. We’ve all fallen into the trap of “pride,” thinking “I deserve such and such over person “A.”

The timing was horrible and I think this team felt it could show up. USCjr proved otherwise and dominated from the opening whistle.

Last edited:
Something definitely off. If Banks wasn't there for whatever locker room stuff, it looked like the defense mailed it in, in protest.
TIFWIW, Dave Hooker claims to "know" that an "altercation" took place involving J Banks over NIL $. He went on to say defense was upset about J Banks not traveling, and wouldn't implement T Banks' scheme. He claimed to know this for a fact, and claimed he's not speculating.
Again, take it for what it's worth. Dont 🔥 me for reporting it.

Not trying to discount SC, but how much can you improve in a week? They didn’t even manage a single offensive TD the week prior and have been anemic all year. Then they score TDs on their first 5 possessions. Plus their defense solves the Heupel machine in a snap. Not buying it.

I agree w you 100%

Reactions: LadyVolette
TIFWIW, Dave Hooker claims to "know" that an "altercation" took place involving J Banks over NIL $. He went on to say defense was upset about J Banks not traveling, and wouldn't implement T Banks' scheme. He claimed to know this for a fact, and claimed he's not speculating.
Again, take it for what it's worth. Dont 🔥 me for reporting it.
If that’s the case, then these guys pissed away a once in a lifetime chance to play for a National Championship. That’s pretty freaking low if you ask me. I’m not there but damn.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23

I don’t think I heard Young or Baron’s name mentioned all night. Must be good friends with Banks.

Yeah, I thought they would go 7-5, maybe 8-4. Now looking at 10-2 and a respectable bowl. I was way off.

A lot of Tennessee fans are way over complicating things, just like this post. Look, Tennessee lost to South Carolina because South Carolina played a near perfect game. Everything came together for them. Spencer Rattler had a career night. That was one of the best performances I have seen from a Quarterback in a while. South Carolina, playing the way they did, I believe would have beaten any team in the SEC. And if they continue to play this good, Clemson might be in trouble next week.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is, there is no mystery here. South Carolina out played Tennessee, and they had their best over all performance in years. Any team could have been the victim, but unfortunately, it was Tennessee this time.

South Carolina played well but TN defense was non existent. I understand your point but the players on D seemed uninterested. South Carolina wouldn’t have put up 63 points if there was more effort by some of the TN players. Hopefully the altercation has been laid to rest. We will get our answer Sat night.

What the heck is with the posts that should be divided into chapters?

VN Store

Back