Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Speaking of Kyra...VA Tech is curbstomping Kentucky right now 39-14 with 5 min left in the 1st half. Kitley and Owasu are a problem...

Reactions: olddog
Yeah, I thought that yesterday until I saw them play NC State yesterday. She was doing way more than catch and shoot, and didn't need much time to get the ball out of her hands towards the hoop. And NC State has no shortage of tough perimeter defenders. I still think SC is a better team and she won't score 30 points as effortlessly as she has in some of her other games. But she is at a different level than she was last year.

You have good guards, but you don't have guards that can make teams pay for ignoring them and doubling down on the interior. Fletcher and Johnson in particular seem to be very, very shaky from the beyond the arc.

So far this year, 3P% numbers

Beal 43%
Cooke 50%
Hall 40%

Raven started the season 0-6 from 3, since then she is 2-7. As soon as she feels close to normal with her knee she will do well from 3, she has a very nice stroke..

Last edited:
So far this year, 3P% numbers

Beal 43%
Cooke 50%
Hall 40%

Raven started the season 0-6 from 3, since then she is 3-7. As soon as she feels close to normal with her knee she will do well from 3, she has a very nice stroke..
Beal's lack of hesitation to take (and make) open 3's will pay huge dividends for SC this year. Keeping her on the court with her defensive skills without her being a liability on offense is big. I guess jury is out on Johnson as a shooter. Her misses yesterday were bad, so maybe that get better as the season goes on.

It never ages well. Pointing out another team is also doing poorly is kind of sad...especially when said team made the FF last year (and beat Tennessee in the process).

Exactly. Misery loves company.

Given Jeff’s track record, it’s realistic to expect his team to make adjustments over the season, and at least be a 2nd weekend team in the tournament. Doesn’t mean they’ll actually get to a S16/E8 (or more), but it’s realistic to expect it.

Beal's lack of hesitation to take (and make) open 3's will pay huge dividends for SC this year. Keeping her on the court with her defensive skills without her being a liability on offense is big. I guess jury is out on Johnson as a shooter. Her misses yesterday were bad, so maybe that get better as the season goes on.

I agree with you on Beal and it looks like she is shooting the 3 with a lot more confidences. Johnson and Fletcher have not played in over a year so it may take a few more games to get there shooting touch back.

I've wondered why Kellie never came back to coach under Pat. Playing is one thing, day to day operations is another.

Kellie was apprenticing with Joe Ciampi and Wes Moore, I believe, and Pat had her longtime staff and six championships. Kellie quickly became a head coach and achieved success on her own. No reason at that time for either to look backward.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Nice comeback from Kentucky to get within 6 under a minute to go, but probably too little too late. They got down 21 in the first quarter, but out scores VT since then.

Reactions: Rooster1
Not sure why 6-3 Petty is not in the starting lineup ? for KY
Looks like she was good this game, but all their posts play about the same with similar production. Whichever of Petty, Leveretter or Adeyeye is playing best gets the minutes on a per game basis.

Kentucky got a lot of steals this game, which I guess they have to do when they are outgunned in size so badly. I gues their strategy against Tennessee will be to press and try to force turnovers, whereas VT will go into Kitley as their first option and hope she has a better game than she did last year.

Looks like she was good this game, but all their posts play about the same with similar production. Whichever of Petty, Leveretter or Adeyeye is playing best gets the minutes on a per game basis.

Kentucky got a lot of steals this game, which I guess they have to do when they are outgunned in size so badly. I gues their strategy against Tennessee will be to press and try to force turnovers, whereas VT will go into Kitley as their first option and hope she has a better game than she did last year.

I think Kitley will try and pull Key away from the basket just my thinking after watching the to players so far this season. Kitley is long but Key is longer. And i just don`t think Kitley will be able just to just shoot over the top of Key. But on the other hand Key is very limited on the offensive end so will need to make it up with her defense and rebounding.

You have to use a different yardstick depending on which team you are measuring. A .600 record at Old Overshoe U may be considered successful, but a .600 w/l record at an elite program - not so much.
I think that's our problem . We continue to make disclaimers for success being measured by individuals own bar. Once we start to finally accept our faults i think as a program and fan base it will evolve. Iv'e said some harsh things this past week but it needed to be said . I am a LV fan of 32 years and i will always root for the #1 for life but acting as though everything is fine and not recognizing the obvious issues are the reason we are here today where we are. Where that is ? Depends on each fans measurable stick of "Success" again lol .

I think that's our problem . We continue to make disclaimers for success being measured by individuals own bar. Once we start to finally accept our faults i think as a program and fan base it will evolve. Iv'e said some harsh things this past week but it needed to be said . I am a LV fan of 32 years and i will always root for the #1 for life but acting as though everything is fine and not recognizing the obvious issues are the reason we are here today where we are. Where that is ? Depends on each fans measurable stick of "Success" again lol .

So your issue is that some fans are acting differently than you think they should. They are not acting like things are doom and gloom and that is why the team is losing?

So your issue is that some fans are acting differently than you think they should. They are not acting like things are doom and gloom and that is why the team is losing?
No its not the fans acting differently than i do , its the fans acting like everything is fine and accepting mediocracy. I did that for a while but ive since woke up and ran out of excuses for this disastrous play . Regardless of when others wake up and honestly recognize what's going on the facts are in the play of the team.

Last edited:
No its not the fans acting differently than i do , its the fans acting like everything is fine and accepting mediocracy. I did that for a while but ive seen woke up and ran out of excuses for this disastrous play . Regardless of when others wake up and honestly recognize what's going on the facts are in the play of the team.

What can that possibly mean to how the team plays? This is more about you than basketball. Sorry, can't help you there. It's your delusion. Only you can find your way out.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back