Mark Stoops signs extension at KY through 2030

It's what happens when a lower-expectation basketball school has a coach that guarantees that they won't be terrible. They get excited and overpay.
I dont get it though. At 8.6 they could go out and hire much better coaches. For Kentucky it used to be that was the best they could do with the resources. So when they went 6-6 it made sense. now the resources are available they are paying top 5 money for top 40ish results.

I would chuck that number at about 5 to 10 other head coaches before giving that to Stoops if I am Kentucky.

I dont get it though. At 8.6 they could go out and hire much better coaches. For Kentucky it used to be that was the best they could do with the resources. So when they went 6-6 it made sense. now the resources are available they are paying top 5 money for top 40ish results.

I would chuck that number at about 5 to 10 other head coaches before giving that to Stoops if I am Kentucky.
Their problem is that none of those 5-10 coaches would leave their current job to go to Kentucky, and they know that.

8 million and Heupel only makes what 5? Ugh this is gonna get ugly.
The coach salary tornado is off the rails. Those agents and attorneys are dang good at what they do. The issue now is that schools are screwed and have to pony up with insane contracts and buyouts, regardless of performance. There's only so much in the kitty, so this sucks away from things like facility upgrades, money for other sports, etc. It's not a promising trend.

Funny enough, there are some outrage threads at CatsIllustrated. They're still the minority and messageboards don't always have the pulse of the fanbase as a whole but I did think it was funny there are some that are asking why he got a bump for losing to Vandy. But I would guess they are the same fans there that believed they were the #8 team in the nation.

$8.6 million per year. Damn good money. I’d never leave there if I were him. Good news for us. Congrats on peaking! So much for him going to Auburn or Nebraska.
As a UT fan, I approve. This makes no sense, other than he now makes more than Cal and they are sending a message.

Their problem is that none of those 5-10 coaches would leave their current job to go to Kentucky, and they know that.

Yep. UK is a place that if they get a great coach, they will eventually lose them. In a case like Stoops, he's UK good but imo he's not next level good.

Things change, but to me the only way a place like UK ever gets and keeps a top notch coach is if he played at UK and he's one of their own, and even then they'd have to have gotten him when he was an "up and comer".

VN Store

Back