Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols 63 - UCLA. 80

If this is still the problem 15 years and all these losses later, that we are STILL recruiting mostly athletic players who can't shoot a lick, then I need to find another team because the LVs will never be an enjoyable team to watch again. I guess it is a systematic problem where they've just decided to live on past glories no matter how outdated.

Both Holly and Harper are disciples of Pat. Makes sense they would emphasize the things she did - defense and rebounding - and not the things she didn't - offense. So it is an ingrained institutional thing. Pat won eight national championships with that philosophy. The trouble is, Pat was one of a kind motivator and disciplinarian and her disciples don't seem to be able to make it work the way she did. At least not so far.

Not at all. No one observing the LV's three loses would come away saying "all is peachy." Pointing out that the team has problems that need to get fixed is different from saying the season is over, bashing players, or proclaiming that Kellie is a failure.
but it’s not just this year. Year 4 is just adding on…I will agree bashing players is unacceptable. My issue is and has always been with the ones with the coaching duties. She hasn’t been a failure, but she’s far from being successful.

The best offense in the world would not be putting up those goose eggs, would not go into the prolonged scoring draughts that are the enabling aspects of those runs.

It is the "Here we go again" factor

Players sense a run and go into spasm-play.
That is what is happening
a 10-0 run takes the team from 0-4 to 10-4 and then a 8-2 run takes the girls from 2 pts down to 8 pts down, then a 10-0 run takes the girls from 7 down to 17 down,,,"here we go again"
The team fought back and fought back until the fight was taken from them.
You have to use your resources as a coach and timeouts are a coach's weapon.

I know things could turn around and all gets immediately forgiven.
but right now, this ol coach is not in a forgiving mood.
He's in a "get this shig figured out!" mood

I think Kellie needs to focus on starters rather than trying to please 16 players with minutes. Last yr she focused on starting 5 while this yr she has too many good players and paying attention who to give wat kind of minute gona hurt her. I kn it's too early to start yelling, but next yr will be the yr they won't make it in NCAA if things doesn't change fast. Just praying for Kellie cause she's a nice woman 🙏 🙏 🙏...Gurls don't give up. Keep fighting

It is the "Here we go again" factor

Players sense a run and go into spasm-play.
That is what is happening
a 10-0 run takes the team from 0-4 to 10-4 and then a 8-2 run takes the girls from 2 pts down to 8 pts down, then a 10-0 run takes the girls from 7 down to 17 down,,,"here we go again"
The team fought back and fought back until the fight was taken from them.
You have to use your resources as a coach and timeouts are a coach's weapon.

I know things could turn around and all gets immediately forgiven.
but right now, this ol coach is not in a forgiving mood.
He's in a "get this shig figured out!" mood

solid assessment

I think Kellie needs to focus on starters rather than trying to please 16 players with minutes. Last yr she focused on starting 5 while this yr she has too many good players and paying attention who to give wat kind of minute gona hurt her. I kn it's too early to start yelling, but next yr will be the yr they won't make it in NCAA if things doesn't change fast. Just praying for Kellie cause she's a nice woman 🙏 🙏 🙏...Gurls don't give up. Keep fighting

Figuring out the line-up is a big need but so is figuring what this teams identity is.

last year, it was clear who this "team was" prior to injuries. Right now, I don't know. A lot of new pieces and they are not bringing the defensive intensity last year's team had.
And offensively, again, it is not clear what style they want to play.

But you can't have five players on the floor who want to make plays in the paint. She has to get some balance and maybe tell a few players like Hollingshead, your time may be next year.

One thing for sure, we don't play well against an outside shooting team. Haven't for a long time. UCLA was absolutely one of the worst teams for us to play right now. Seems like we only beat those kind of teams when they shoot poorly. We don't rebound well against them because we crash the board and miss on the long rebounds. Just not a good situation especially right now when the team is learning how to play play together and integrating new players.

Would she be considered a “troll”? Or does she get a free pass for saying what others have said. Hits different when it’s one of our own.

No, fair criticism is not "trolling," nor is pointing out weaknesses and suggesting solutions. Expressing frustration is a natural thing, especially during games. And fans can support their teams and staff while still doing those things. Even the most ardent supporters can see when changes have to be made with lineups, strategies, and ultimately with coaching staffs.

Most of us here know the difference between the passionate fans and the people who have been wanting Kellie to fail simply because they didn't get their choice of coach. And it's been really obvious and really annoying so that they get put on ignore. Then there are the drop-ins from other forums who still haven't gotten over the kneeling two seasons ago. They only post during games when we are losing, and they tend to be the ones who make the nasty comments about looks, I.Q., etc. Honestly, they couldn't care less about the Lady Vols or women's sports in general.

Both Holly and Harper are disciples of Pat. Makes sense they would emphasize the things she did - defense and rebounding - and not the things she didn't - offense. So it is an ingrained institutional thing. Pat won eight national championships with that philosophy. The trouble is, Pat was one of a kind motivator and disciplinarian and her disciples don't seem to be able to make it work the way she did. At least not so far.
I so didn't want to believe this , but I guess you and all the "negas" saying that adherence to the glory days are stopping this program from regaining elite status are right. If we know the old system won't work anymore, Kellie Harper certainly knows it. But you're saying she refuses to do anything different because that's not how we did it in the olden days when we wuz great?

The irony of course is that if this is true, Pat Summitt would hate it more than everyone else in the world combined. She knew she needed offensive help, she owned it, she sought it out. So why would anyone hold back the program this way thinking they were honoring her and what she built? It's ludicrious!

The other argument some make is that as creatures of the olden system, Holly and Kellie aren't capable of coaching any other way. But if that's the case why not bring in help? An offensive guru? Coaches want to win and this problem is so broadly identified they cannot be unaware. So to think they willfully refuse or that it's beyond anyone's resources or capabilities just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
Well a team with the supposed offensive genius for a coach just scored 7 in the third and 7 in the fourth. She must have forgotten how to coach at halftime. On top of that, she and her staff didn’t realize they were out of timeouts so they could tell the team not to call a timeout. Sometimes it just isn’t your day. Hopefully, we will get it together. Thought they had learned their lesson, but I guess not.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well a team with the supposed offensive genius for a coach just scored 7 in the third and 7 in the fourth. She must have forgotten how to coach at halftime. On top of that, she and her staff didn’t realize they were out of timeouts so they could tell the team not to call a timeout. Sometimes it just isn’t your day. Hopefully, we will get it together. Thought they had learned their lesson, but I guess not.
how can they be out of something never used

They made 16 threes today which I watched most of the game and they were getting wide open looks. I'm not giving up three point shots without strong contest up in their grill defense. If they drive and make 16 twos you still shave 16 points off that 80 they got today. Defense is poor and rebounding is the worst Tennessee team in a long time. You can really downgrade this season if she can't get this team to defend and rebound. You can't let a bunch of mostly under six feet tall players one 5'9" beat you on the boards like that. 41 to 30 today outrebounded. Still just as disturbing as that is letting a team make 16 threes and doing nothing to try and control it is just bad look for our coaches and team. I don't know if she can fix it but it better be soon cause double digit losses this year are looking very probable. 52 shots on goal to their 62 and missed 11 free throws. If a team makes 16 threes that is a loss and it makes both the players and coaches look like they don't know what they are doing.

That`s not gonna work against the top team and KJH knows it. That is why she is trying to play players on the bench. SC beat Sanford today because of there bench stepped up when needed to.

Reactions: sisaq
No, fair criticism is not "trolling," nor is pointing out weaknesses and suggesting solutions. Expressing frustration is a natural thing, especially during games. And fans can support their teams and staff while still doing those things. Even the most ardent supporters can see when changes have to be made with lineups, strategies, and ultimately with coaching staffs.

Most of us here know the difference between the passionate fans and the people who have been wanting Kellie to fail simply because they didn't get their choice of coach. And it's been really obvious and really annoying so that they get put on ignore. Then there are the drop-ins from other forums who still haven't gotten over the kneeling two seasons ago. They only post during games when we are losing, and they tend to be the ones who make the nasty comments about looks, I.Q., etc. Honestly, they couldn't care less about the Lady Vols or women's sports in general.

Fair honest criticism has been here for awhile. It’s just getting noticed by more and more who wanted to ignore it. Passionate fans have been the ones saying it, it was not in hopes she would fail. It was because she hasn’t shown she’s up to the job. Some passionate fans have been blinded by the whole Lady Vol legacy to see it. Agree on personal shots at the players, no need.

From the stat sheet looks like Horston ball hogged this game away. Fair assessment?
I didn’t get to see the whole game, but the shooting stats are poor. Her last attempts at the basket were poor, and she had twice as many 3 point attempts as Tess, who is supposed to be our 3 point shooter. Why did Tess only have 2 attempts for a 3 in the whole game?

I didn’t get to see the whole game, but the shooting stats are poor. Her last attempts at the basket were poor, and she had twice as many 3 point attempts as Tess, who is supposed to be our 3 point shooter. Why did Tess only have 2 attempts for a 3 in the whole game?

Teams know now to close out on Darby she not gonna put on the floor, And that`s a big part of the problem with the offense Darby not being able to create her own shot.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back