9-2 and people are having a meltdown.

I get what you are saying. Yes of course preseason if you said you could take 10-2 we would have accepted it. However you would have expected Alabama and Georgia would be those losses. Once you get to this part of season at 9-1 with best resume to make the college football playoff with 2 bad football teams to finish. It should be a formality and if we get hammered inside the playoff then so be it. Expectations change. Yes we are having a meltdown. We are the laughing stock on social media because we couldn't not only stop Spencer Rattler and that doofy goofy coach Beamer but we got curb stomped. That will be mentioned for years as huge win for them. Literally the first time Heupel lost for us when he was a big favorite. I will not apologize for my meltdown. Yes the season is better than preseason expectations and I will never forget how I felt the night we toppled Bama but I am not selective I will also never forget how embarrassing this loss was.

Look at yourselves in the mirror. We’ve been a fledgling program for 16 years. Upsets happen. BIG upsets happen and nobody is immune. To be on the cusp of the CFP in late November after what we’ve been through the last two decades is remarkable. I’m disappointed in the loss but also pumped about the future of Tennessee Football. Dust yourself off and get up for a premier bowl for the first time in 18 years.

If you think tonight was bad, you really don’t want to see us in a big time bowl against a quality opponent. SC was not a quality opponent, somebody really good will destroy us away from Neyland. No meltdown here though, it just is what it is. Reality sucks sometimes.

Define premier bowl. If TN finishes 10-2, they will likely get the 1st or 2nd SEC bowl after the Sugar in the SEC bowl pecking order. That's still a premier bowl in my book. I just not convinced they will finish 10-2 yet.

I don’t even care about the bowl we get now. Just get to 11-2, go into next year preseason Top 10-12, let’s ride. In our two losses, we have shown we need to beef up the trenches and recruit athletes in the secondary. We are still very much trending up. Heupel is still a young coach and I can see how the meteoric rise may have been too much for him to handle. I trust him to learn from this.

It’s the manner in which we lost.
We got a thorough ass whooping tonight by an average to bad team.

And before we get that “premier bowl”, we got to beat a Vandy team that is peaking while we look lost……
Yep,,, it’s very disturbing because yes, we lost to a good Georgia team, but on the flipside, losing to a bad SC team also conjures up flashbacks of coaches like Pruitt and Jones losing games they shouldn’t.

That to me is what is so surprising….because I didn’t really think we’d see Heupel losing many games he shouldn’t.

If your 5-2 and win out it’s a good season, when your 9-1 and on the verge of a playoff berth and lose to a team your favored by 3 touchdowns against, unacceptable. It’s that simple. This team collapsed and will probably next week. They haven’t been right since that #1 ranking came out. Idk what’s going on over there but something ain’t right

I think it’s just the way it happened. I mean, 63-38? It’s one thing if we barely lost or just looked off a bit but we got absolutely manhandled on offense by a team that just lost to Florida 38-6. We had no defense and our all world offense was not great. Personally I still think it’s been a great year but damn that was a gut punch. Not as bad as the Georgia one but pretty bad.

Yes they are. Often it is the same folks who have been promoting the idea we "back the Brinks truck up" and "extend Heupel for ten years" sorts of folks.

Truth be told the team and entire staff did better than I thought they would with one game to go season so I'll not complain. I think Heupel and staff deserve raises, but that's all, no extensions yet.

Why? Because tonight the wheels fell off this program. This is not the first 9 win UT team who had the wheels fall off as well. Heupel surely had has next year and the year after to get the wheels back on but that's it. Heupel as of tonight is the 3rd best SEC East coach and he's has yet to convince m e he is the long term solution, especially after tonight. There is no certainty we beat Vandy next week as they are playing their best football and we just played our absolute worst. Can Heupel and the team recover? Time will tell.

Reactions: Tnslim1
not having a meltdown, but Banks needs to go. you just cant have that type of defensive performance.. ever. and its been bad all season.
Been 2 years of **** defense.. It looks to be regressing down the stretch.. I don't think I've witnessed a worse performance by a Tennessee defense.. They don't tackle well at all and give way too much cushion to receivers. I would have been blitzing every other down too. You can't keep playing that base defense all game like they did. I don't think we get there with Tim Banks. Seen two years of sample size and it's trash..

I get what you are saying. Yes of course preseason if you said you could take 10-2 we would have accepted it. However you would have expected Alabama and Georgia would be those losses. Once you get to this part of season at 9-1 with best resume to make the college football playoff with 2 bad football teams to finish. It should be a formality and if we get hammered inside the playoff then so be it. Expectations change. Yes we are having a meltdown. We are the laughing stock on social media because we couldn't not only stop Spencer Rattler and that doofy goofy coach Beamer but we got curb stomped. That will be mentioned for years as huge win for them. Literally the first time Heupel lost for us when he was a big favorite. I will not apologize for my meltdown. Yes the season is better than preseason expectations and I will never forget how I felt the night we toppled Bama but I am not selective I will also never forget how embarrassing this loss was.

This is a good comment and the most mature response I've seen tonight.

It's not about the record, its about a shockingly pathetic performance relative to what the team is capable of --> Good is the Enemy of Great, that's part of what helped Saban to build Bama into the program it has been for years, not settling for less that what you are capable of.

Look at yourselves in the mirror. We’ve been a fledgling program for 16 years. Upsets happen. BIG upsets happen and nobody is immune. To be on the cusp of the CFP in late November after what we’ve been through the last two decades is remarkable. I’m disappointed in the loss but also pumped about the future of Tennessee Football. Dust yourself off and get up for a premier bowl for the first time in 18 years.
I totally agree, Hell we can still get the sugar bowl...Thats not a bad consolation prize!...It will get us a lot of exposure for recruits and plus its a damn fun trip for the fans...This is something to build on.

Been 2 years of **** defense.. It looks to be regressing down the stretch.. I don't think I've witnessed a worse performance by a Tennessee defense.. They don't tackle well at all and give way too much cushion to receivers. I would have been blitzing every other down too. You can't keep playing that base defense all game like they did. I don't think we get there with Tim Banks. Seen two years of sample size and it's trash..
Especially giving up a 3rd and 20

Reactions: mpfvol
Yes that’s all fine and good however you cannot dust away or excuse giving up 63 points to a pro style scrub office that cannot run the ball there is no excuse for what happened tonight on the field!!!! If the rumors are true about LB banks, Clearly there was a major locker room issue because this team and coaching staff looked totally disinterested in the entire game

Reactions: mpfvol
It's not about the record, its about a shockingly pathetic performance relative to what the team is capable of --> Good is the Enemy of Great, that's part of what helped Saban to build Bama into the program it has been for years, not settling for less that what you are capable of.

Saban also had some horrible losses his first two seasons while building Bama. Tonight sucks balls but in the grand scheme, we are well ahead of schedule. We now get to see how Heupel handles a program junk punch with losing playoff bid and Heisman contender QB to injury. Next two games will tell us a lot about Heupel.

VN Store

Back