Why did we schedule @ Ohio State for an opener

She has a point guards confidence but I don’t see ego. The kids would not love her like they do if she was egotistical.

Exactly. She doesn't dress flashy (or trashy), doesn't start feuds with other coaches, doesn't draw attention to herself, doesn't badmouth recruits or former players, keeps the focus on her players, gives credit to other teams and coaches. Not afraid to be filmed in work clothes and work boots while carrying a feed pail.

If she has a big ego, she hides it better than most public figures. And we've seen plenty of women's and men's coaches who do exhibit big egos.

But the difference is, neither of them played TWO top 15 teams in the first week...
Just as a reference, last season SC opened the season on the road at #5 NCSU. They then went to a tourney and played #9 Oregon and #2 Uconn. Then, before conference play started, they played #8 Maryland, #15 Duke and #2 Stanford.

I could be wrong and projecting this onto her, but to me KJH seems a little shellshocked. I don't think she saw this coming.

I have thought the exact same thing. I have a maddening compulsion to monitor players' and coaches' body language and facial expressions, and "shellshocked" is the perfect description for what I've noticed. She clearly did not think, two weeks ago, that her team would have two losses already.

Don't think KJH has an ego, but may be a bit stubborn.

Yep, I get that impression, too. She believes strongly in her philosophy and coaching plan that she works very hard on, and so my guess is that she is convinced that "It'll take just a liiiiiiittle more time for this to start clicking. We just need to be a liiiiiiittle more patient."

I know it likely pains her to have to rethink the well-thought-out plan, but she knows she can't afford to be as patient as it would have been necessary to be if she doesn't go in a different direction.

Reactions: Amb3096
That’s not out of the question and an interesting take. I never viewed her as egotistical but something to monitor if things stay the same on the court and recruiting.

*as a coach you have to have a little, as a leader you have to have self reflection
If so, maybe being 1-2 will help with that.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The reason was Jordan Horston is from Columbus, Ohio and this is the only time they wanted to play us so it was scheduled. The Indiana game was the rematch from two years ago when we beat them on their home court and now they have beat us on ours. I have no problem with the games if we start seeing a process of elimination and from this we get the best 10 players that we have in a rotation of starter and backup. Our 30 minute players seem to be Powell, Jackson, Horston, Key, and Franklin. The five backups seem to be Darby, Hollingshead, Puckett, Pissott, and take your pick Walkeer and Miles. The other players need to do something in practice or when they get a chance to play to get any viable minutes. I don't know if Horston would've made the difference against Indiana I like to believe she would. Other than the third quarter where we lost 30 to 13 we won the Ohio State game, So were looking for full game consistency and I hope we find it soon. Figuring out how to take care of the ball defend and rebound is all it is going to take. I know this is the same problems we've had in stretches of other seasons before. Time for the coaches to get it together and get these players doing what is necessary to win. Decisions win or lose games and that is why were losing right now.

It may not be as big of a deal in Women's basketball but definitely in Men's, what you do as an SEC program in November and December tends to matter more to the selection committee than what you do January-March. I mean an Alabama team that was 12-4 in SEC play got left out because they were horrible in November while SEC programs that have been 7-9 in Conference play have made March Madness because they won a couple of major OOC matchups.

OOC matchups matter a lot because it allows for conference strength.

Granted, SEC has a little more respect in Women's and Lady Vols play more game but definitely these OOC matchups hurt worse sometimes than SEC games.

Just as a reference, last season SC opened the season on the road at #5 NCSU. They then went to a tourney and played #9 Oregon and #2 Uconn. Then, before conference play started, they played #8 Maryland, #15 Duke and #2 Stanford.

Ok, and? They also won the championship. Pat INVENTED the murderer's row schedule long before Dawn came along, back when Tennessee was winning championships. The program isn't at that level anymore...

And a mistake of Phil Fulmer in hiring her.

200.gif

Over and over again. It's apparent you're only here to bash.

Reactions: NeedOrange
We should never want to schedule automatic wins......the Lady Vols have always played a tuff schedule. This team and coach need to step up their games!

Reactions: Majors
We should never want to schedule automatic wins......the Lady Vols have always played a tuff schedule. This team and coach need to step up their games!

While I agree, I tend to think the first 3-4 games of the schedule should be easier to develop confidence and get out the errors before facing more challenging opponents.

I even don't like tough openers. I prefer to play easy G5 in first game and then play the Power 5 OOC guy in the second or third game.

To answer the OP'S question, it seems that it's because OSU is a solid, veteran team that made the Sweet Sixteen last year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
To answer the OP'S question, it seems that it's because OSU is a solid, veteran team that made the Sweet Sixteen last year.

Exactly and we came off with a big fat loss and no the entire team is down, program looks in shambles, etc.

Play a UT Martin or Tennessee Tech and build our confidence with an opening win.

Reactions: Tennessee12
The program does not look to be in shambles. Are you attending team meetings and practices? Are you hanging out with the players? If not, how do you know the player and teams mental state? Most coaches would lean towards playing these games if they have the personnel.
Same here. I think "shambles" is a bit over wrought. Hasn't been a good start for sure but jeeze that's dramatic 3 games in.

As far as being over-rated, it wasn't just us on the board doing the preseason wish casting all fans do. The national media, who are usually uber skeptical of the LVs, had them top 5. Were the LVs really overrated or are they top 5 talented and just not putting it together yet?

It's only a certain portion of the fan base that's in shambles.

Why Kellie Harper doesn't have a 2023 recruiting class yet and what it means for the Lady Vols

Not a good look here as well.

I feel like you have two extremes on Vol Nations, people that think a team can do no wrong and people that think a team can do no right. I am in the middle.

However, despite how rosy someone can be, starting 1-2 isn't a good luck. There is no way to Sugar Coat it. I do think Harper has brought some life back to the team and last year was a big success so I can be patient but it is definitely a very rough start.

Why Kellie Harper doesn't have a 2023 recruiting class yet and what it means for the Lady Vols

I feel like you have two extremes on Vol Nations, people that think a team can do no wrong and people that think a team can do no right. I am in the middle.

However, despite how rosy someone can be, starting 1-2 isn't a good luck. There is no way to Sugar Coat it. I do think Harper has brought some life back to the team and last year was a big success so I can be patient but it is definitely a very rough start.
Players can only be considered talented if they can defend and take care of the basketball. Some of the players we consider to be the elites on this team have done neither. Until they can do the job on defense and not turn the ball over we'll lose to the better teams because there is very little chance of overcoming a 14 turnover deficit that we had at Ohio State or beating any team that you can't hold to 70 points for the game. Defense was really good last year until Green and then Horston went down with injuries then it began to look much like it has looked this season. Turnovers have been a problem since Coach Harper has been here looks like she doesn't have an answer to correct this and since were not turning over the opponent enough they are working with an 8 to double digit turnover advantage every time we play. You can't win games against the top teams giving them 10 plus more possessions than you get. We got 58 shot attempts at Ohio State and 56 against Indiana. That is a really weak amount of shots in a game. Team needs to be around 70 shots at least unless your getting to the line a lot. In the game we won UMass got 78 shot attempts to our 62 we got lucky that they only shot 30 percent. If they shoot seven percent higher 37 percent were 0 and 3. So you can say I have moved to the middle also mainly because were repeating the same bad habits can't defend and turn the ball over without a shot on way to many possessions. If we can't find five or six players out of a roster of 15 that can play defense and take care of the ball and get up more shots than the opponent then were going to lose a lot more games this season.

However, despite how rosy someone can be, starting 1-2 isn't a good luck. There is no way to Sugar Coat it.

Neither is getting shut out of the 23 class, as mentioned in the article. I find it hard to imagine Horston, Jackson, or Key would come back another year, meaning the program could be in serious trouble next season...

Reactions: Voluble2

After reading Kelly and her staff are not in a good situation ? Some on this board will spin it, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Voluble2
Get over the scheduling and let it play out for the Season.

Better question is why didn't CKH prepare the team to play better against these 2 ranked teams?

What we have seen in the last two games is little defense, massive turnovers, and a stale offense. No grit and grind. I am questioning conditioning as we have been taken to the bank. The Talent is there but at the moment the Coaching is not.

Time will tell.

VN Store

Back