Is Key hurt or out of shape

Key shouldn't be in game if can't give 100% .... injury or otherwise..... and Jackson or any other player should not be in game based on their potential to bring it at some point down the line JMHO

We have like 12-13 good players. The coaching staff will hopefully figure out who needs the minutes.

At this point, I am puzzled.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Some play for the love of the game, some play because they were blessed with the stature and talent to do so and want to take advantage of the opportunities that come along with it. Key always struck me as the latter.

Watching her physical gifts wasted on someone with such a low motor continues to be maddening to the fans...

Some play for the love of the game, some play because they were blessed with the stature and talent to do so and want to take advantage of the opportunities that come along with it. Key always struck me as the latter.

Watching her physical gifts wasted on someone with such a low motor continues to be maddening to the fans...
I don't necessarily think that there's anything wrong with the latter. She's certainly not the only one in that camp. If you're hungry enough for the opportunities, you'll still be committed. The problem is that Key is opening the season very lethargically and doesn't appear all that hungry yet.

When I watch Tamari play, it occurs to me how unathletic she is. She can't leap, no explosiveness, she can't run, and isn't quick, and has hands which are not basketball strong, although on the other hand she moves her feet well on defense and looks very coordinated when she blocks shots. So, I guess its a mixed bag with her.

Reactions: Fatoldman
It will all come down to arranging priorities. Those who know they are likely to be in the final season of their college basketball careers need to make basketball their top priority. I'm not sure everyone has made the decision to do that yet, if they even truly want to. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. šŸ˜

Last edited:
It will all come down to arranging priorities. Those who know they are likely to be in the final season of their college basketball careers need to make basketball their top priority. I'm not sure everyone has made the decision to do that yet, if they even truly want to. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. šŸ˜
Senior year,beast mode!

We shouldn't rule out Striplin as a backup. Against Louisville in our final game last season, she had 7 points (2-2 fg; 3-4 ft) and 6 rebounds in 15 minutes of play. Only one foul that game.

Karoline needs game experience, but she is fearless when she comes in. Has good range, too. She and Jill give us some serious muscle when needed.

We shouldn't rule out Striplin as a backup. Against Louisville in our final game last season, she had 7 points (2-2 fg; 3-4 ft) and 6 rebounds in 15 minutes of play. Only one foul that game.

Karoline needs game experience, but she is fearless when she comes in. Has good range, too. She and Jill give us some serious muscle when needed.

Striplin seems out of shape like she had an injury over the summer to me. Never heard anything but in the limited minutes she played this year she was not as fit or as fast as she was last season.

I have always felt that Tamari Key could be a game changing player, but I just have not seen that over the last three years. This not a criticism, but an observation. I think she needs to be stronger, that will help her physicality, jumping ability, and her speed up and down the floor. I think to myself that if she had a portion of the physicality and scoring agility of Aliyah Boston, Tennessee would be a completely different team. I know she admires Candace Parker, so I hope she will take some things from Candace and make it a part of her game. It may not sound like it , but I'm pulling for Ms. Key, I just don't know or think we will see the player some of us can see her becoming ever show up, and that would be so sad. Tamari, could be a KEY to helping this team get to the final four.

Last edited:
I have always felt that Tamari Key could be a game changing player, but I just have not seen that over the last three years. This not a criticism, but an observation. I think she needs to be stronger, that will help her physicality, jumping ability, and her speed up and down the floor. I think to myself that if she had a portion of the physicality and scoring agility of Aliyah Boston, Tennessee would be a completely different team. I know she admires Candace Parker, so I hope she will take some things from Candace and make it a part of her game. It may not sound like it , but I'm pulling for Ms. Key, I just don't know or think we will see the player some of us can see her becoming ever show up, and that would so sad. Tamari, could be a KEY to helping this team get to the final four.
Maybe I'm just blind to Tamari, but she will dominate just about any post player not named Boston on defense and offense when she puts her mind to it. I mean, look at what she did to Elizabeth Kitley and the entire Texas frontline last season. She has it in her, but she just doesn't show up consistently. It's in her head, not in her body.

Yā€™all want her to be someone sheā€™s not. Sheā€™s not Aliyah, sheā€™s not Candace, sheā€™s Tamari. And sheā€™s had a damn good career. Should the coaches expect more aggression when it comes to setting screens? Yes. Should they expect her to post up? Yes but she does that. Idk what yā€™all expect her to average but itā€™s not going to be 20 and 15. Thatā€™s not her game not her personality. Preseason my guess was between 13-16 Ppg and 10+ rebounds and I still think that will be the case for her. Team has to gel.

Key is not good! Should not start

I will not go that far to say she is not good. Key is talented but to me needs a post player coach. This is no knock against Sam or the other coaches on the staff there just not post players coaches . Key has been there 4 years and has yet to reach her potential. Just my opinion !

Key is not good! Should not start
Strange comment since she is averaging 12 ppg and 5 rebounds shooting .684 from the field and 70 percent from the line playing just 20 minutes a game. Do you know about stats or do you just like to make ridiculous statements not based on fact. If you want to look for the problems Tennessee is having your going to need to look at some other players also that are playing much worse than Tamari. In fact Tamari has the highest efficiency rating on the team so why would we bench her?

Maybe I'm just blind to Tamari, but she will dominate just about any post player not named Boston on defense and offense when she puts her mind to it. I mean, look at what she did to Elizabeth Kitley and the entire Texas frontline last season. She has it in her, but she just doesn't show up consistently. It's in her head, not in her body.
Not disagreeing with your post, but just because you can dominate one or more players does not mean that your at the leading edge of your own abilities. Not showing up consistently may be the very definition of lack of dominance. Physicality is a part of the game, and having more of it lends itself to becoming a more confident and dominant player. Certainly, one would suspect, playing Ms. Boston every year would motivate one to the nth degree to becoming that game changing player I believe she can be.

I will not go that far to say she is not good. Key is talented but to me needs a post player coach. This is no knock against Sam or the other coaches on the staff there just not post players coaches . Key has been there 4 years and has yet to reach her potential. Just my opinion !

It's past time to replace Jon with a really good post coach, especially since Key's progress has been Meh, and we've got Hollingshead and Striplin waiting in the wings.

Do you all watch the games? Have you not noticed that key is not built to run up and down the court nor is Darby? The question should be why is Kelly playing to her weaknesses instead of her strengths? Why are we trying to run up and down the court with people not built for that type of game? Why is Kelly trying to turn the team without that kind of talent into one? We don't have the guards to stop the press so they can run on us anytime they want. But that doesn't mean we can't pull the ball up and wait for our best defensive and offensive players to get up the court and attempt to slow them by making baskets. So they have to actually bring the ball in and people have a chance to get back. Instead of turnover after turnover with guards that can't shoot, pass or dribble.

Do you all watch the games? Have you not noticed that key is not built to run up and down the court nor is Darby? The question should be why is Kelly playing to her weaknesses instead of her strengths? Why are we trying to run up and down the court with people not built for that type of game? Why is Kelly trying to turn the team without that kind of talent into one? We don't have the guards to stop the press so they can run on us anytime they want. But that doesn't mean we can't pull the ball up and wait for our best defensive and offensive players to get up the court and attempt to slow them by making baskets. So they have to actually bring the ball in and people have a chance to get back. Instead of turnover after turnover with guards that can't shoot, pass or dribble.

I agree that this is an issue and it is one that is solvable. I don't know the science about "not built to run up and down the court." But it is obvious that some of our fast players seem to know nothing but full speed ahead and some of our less fleet footed players are being regularly left behind, despite the good they bring to the team. Any team should always play as a unit. It does little good to advance at breakneck speed if your less swift outside shooters and inside players are being left behind. Bill Russell wasn't near as fast as some of his Celtic teammates, but leaving him behind never crossed anyone's mind. His floor generals always made sure he was involved. It was a good plan.

I really don't believe Key and some of the other, less athletically gifted players are simply dogging it. I cannot and will not believe they don't care. Maybe they just move at a more deliberate rate and need to be blended into the play by the guards. Athletes like Horston, Walker and Powell can run and gun all day. When it works, it is exciting. But when it doesn't, it looks like a turnover. The ball handlers are hurting themselves and the team if they don't get all five players involved. Not one player on the Lady Vols roster is without the ability to contribute. If they sucked, they wouldn't be here.

It's past time to replace Jon with a really good post coach, especially since Key's progress has been Meh, and we've got Hollingshead and Striplin waiting in the wings.
Last year it was Coach Sam, not favorite whipping boy Jon, who worked with TK. I'm sure they all contribute.

I want someone, anyone, to work really, really well on Hollingshead. IMO her development is a must for next season.

What is up with Striplin almost never seeing any playing time? You would think she could get on the court for a few minutes at least, to see what she can do.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back