Coaches Hot Seat Watcher

There's a very real possibility that they lose out to finish .500. Considering expectations, that would be tough. But, I don't think there's any way that he would get fired. He's got them two 10-win seasons in the past five years.
I don’t think he’ll be fired. I think he’ll be pressured to make come coaching changes.

If he underperforms next year is when problems might really start

Reactions: Jeff Clark
I don't think OU fires Venables under any circumstance this season, but does he guarantee that he'll come into a "have a big season in 2023 or you're fired" situation if he doesn't beat Oklahoma St on Saturday?

This is a rivalry game, in Norman, and Okie St has fallen off a cliff after their 6-1 start, having been blown out by K-State and Kansas and barely beating a bad Iowa St team at home.

I don't think people realize how much the transfer portal killed them. They lost A LOT. Venables is a first year head coach. It might take some time.

But boy...it does start making you think why Venables never took a big time P5 job before this...maybe AD's knew something and it was more "Maybe Venables isn't that good of a head coach" than "Venables is happy at Clemson to leave" situation.

I don't think people realize how much the transfer portal killed them. They lost A LOT. Venables is a first year head coach. It might take some time.

But boy...it does start making you think why Venables never took a big time P5 job before this...maybe AD's knew something and it was more "Maybe Venables isn't that good of a head coach" than "Venables is happy at Clemson to leave" situation.
Perhaps - he supposedly turned down numerous P5 jobs before going back to OU, but I guess we'll truly never know if that was really the case. That could have been stuff put out there by his agent.

They were absolutely decimated by the portal as you said; in fact, I think it approached 2021 Tennessee levels in terms of net players lost. However it is hard to hang a hat on these losses in any way. Other than the close K-State loss which looks better now than it does then, they are blowout losses (TCU and Texas) or games they shouldn't have lost in the first place (Baylor, West Virginia). If they played TCU closer, then they could say that was a good loss...TCU is obviously good this year, but they lost to them by over 4 TDs.

If I'm an OU fan, I'm concerned right now that they could be entering a phase similar to after Barry Switzer resigned. It seems eons ago now, but they were in the wilderness from 1988 until they hired Bob Stoops in 1999. They are having this turmoil right on the verge of them entering the SEC.

Can you imagine Eric Gray in Heup's offense? Oof. Not sure he cares though because he's still having an awesome season individually.

Reactions: tbh and Jeff Clark
I’ve always thought Brown was a good coach, and I don’t know who WV could get that is better.

He took over a decent program and is 21-24 and 13-20 in conference. Is it a national power? No. But no reason why they couldn't do more in the Big 12 (they were 51-38 from 2012-2018).

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Perhaps - he supposedly turned down numerous P5 jobs before going back to OU, but I guess we'll truly never know if that was really the case. That could have been stuff put out there by his agent.

They were absolutely decimated by the portal as you said; in fact, I think it approached 2021 Tennessee levels in terms of net players lost. However it is hard to hang a hat on these losses in any way. Other than the close K-State loss which looks better now than it does then, they are blowout losses (TCU and Texas) or games they shouldn't have lost in the first place (Baylor, West Virginia). If they played TCU closer, then they could say that was a good loss...TCU is obviously good this year, but they lost to them by over 4 TDs.

If I'm an OU fan, I'm concerned right now that they could be entering a phase similar to after Barry Switzer resigned. It seems eons ago now, but they were in the wilderness from 1988 until they hired Bob Stoops in 1999. They are having this turmoil right on the verge of them entering the SEC.

Can you imagine Eric Gray in Heup's offense? Oof. Not sure he cares though because he's still having an awesome season individually.

Sure, all it takes it one bad hire to ruin decades of a great program (and one good hire to restore it). I agree, I don't think they should be this bad. And I'm shocked they are this bad defensively. But he's got a really good recruiting class coming and another year should be good for him. I think any hot seat talk is silly right now personally.

Stoops would have to have 3-4 Joker Phillips' level seasons in a row before they talk of firing him. Barnhart is huge fan of Stoops.
Fans of big programs like our own really have trouble understanding the lower level of expectations at smaller programs. They assume that other programs have that same level of expectation. People on VN are like "Stoops is overrated because he hasn't made or come close to making an SECCG." UK has never come close to making that game. Why is he being judged to that standard? He isn't judged to that standard by their fans. Historically, UK is the 2nd or 3rd worst program in SEC history.

What Stoops has done is won double-digit games twice, finished in the top 20 twice, and won 2 NYD bowl games in the last 5 seasons, which no other coach they've had has ever sniffed.

Auburn cashing out on Gus was amazing at the time.

Look what FSU paid to terminate Willie Taggert: “Following a 4-5 start to the 2019 season, Taggart was fired during mid-season in November 2019. For the removal of Taggart, Florida State had to pay over $20M in buyouts, including about $18M to Taggart after the firing and over $4M paid to Oregon at his hiring ($3M to end Taggart's contract with Oregon and an additional $1.3M that Oregon still owed South Florida for hiring Taggart away in 2016).“
And our usuals cheered them on from the peanut gallery for “doing what it takes!” 😉

VN Store

Back