Carolina/Duke Basketball: The 2022-2023 Thread Celebrating the Tarheel Final Four Victory over Coach K in his Final Game

To get this thread going from a content perspective, Duke looked good against Jacksonville earlier tonight. Roach stepped up and is their clear leader, particularly at the beginning of the season. Duke really pulled away in the last few minutes of the half to hold a 16-point halftime lead. Jacksonville was ice cold from the 3-point line (1/19 was the last stat line I remember). That will kill any team against any opponent, particularly a high quality team like Duke. Duke closed them out 71-44. This was a good first effort for Scheyer.

Last edited:
Carolina is also looking good through the first half. It took them a while to get going. Much like Duke, Carolina pulled away in the final minutes of the first half to build an 11-point halftime lead. UNC Wilmington’s smaller team has them spread out and having to aggressively defend the perimeter. Carolina needs to take better care of the ball, and they need to pound the ball inside and overpower Wilmington in the second half.

Go Heels!

Last edited:
Post-game commentary on Carolina. The Tarheels won 69-56. They have apparently spent way too much of the offseason reading how great they are going to be this year. UNC-Wilmington out-rebounded Carolina 36-29 tonight. Carolina also played way too much hero ball all night tonight, relying on the fact that they had superior talent. Carolina had only 4 assists in the game. They won’t get where they want to go playing like they did tonight. Hubert needs to use this as a positive coaching moment. They won, but they can’t beat really good teams playing this way.

UNC-Wilmington was a very scrappy team that played really hard tonight. I give them a lot of credit. If they continue to work hard and improve, they should have a really good season.

Last edited:
Big game tonight for Duke, playing the reigning National Champion. Will be interesting to see how some of the new kids play. I’ve been very busy impressed w/ Mitchell so far, but have no idea what to expect otherwise.

Reactions: volwindy
Big game tonight for Duke, playing the reigning National Champion. Will be interesting to see how some of the new kids play. I’ve been very busy impressed w/ Mitchell so far, but have no idea what to expect otherwise.
I’m looking forward to this game. I’m watching the end of the Kentucky/Michigan State game right now.

Not consistently looking like the supposed #1 team in the country. Three games, three slow starts, poor shooting, and getting out-hustled too often. Not sure what our identity is supposed to be. Bacot needs more touches, I do know that.

Not consistently looking like the supposed #1 team in the country. Three games, three slow starts, poor shooting, and getting out-hustled too often. Not sure what our identity is supposed to be. Bacot needs more touches, I do know that.
Watching Carolina play these first three games, you would think they’re playing a pick up game on the neighborhood court, and none of them has ever met each other before tip-off. They’re playing with zero team chemistry. They better get their crap together, or they’re going to drop games to anyone with a pulse coming up on their schedule. They have Indiana at the end of this month, but they could even drop a game before then.

That’s the crazy part. Plug Nance into Manek’s spot, and their roles on the team basically should be VERY much the same as they were in their late-season run last year.

Duke has a long way to go. Offense was putrid. Freshmen looked lost a lot. I know it’s early, but blah.

Duke has a long way to go. Offense was putrid. Freshmen looked lost a lot. I know it’s early, but blah.
No biggie . Young team blew the game. There’s no offensive identity yet, but there are a lot of good pieces. Filipowski is going to be really good. I just hate losing to that program. I loathe Kansas.

No biggie . Young team blew the game. There’s no offensive identity yet, but there are a lot of good pieces. Filipowski is going to be really good. I just hate losing to that program. I loathe Kansas.
Yeah I’m overreacting. Fully acknowledge it. I just didn’t see a Banchero or Zion or Tatum on the floor for Duke. Maybe Whithead is at that level? Lively definitely didn’t seem to be although I know he’s coming back from injury.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Yeah I’m overreacting. Fully acknowledge it. I just didn’t see a Banchero or Zion or Tatum on the floor for Duke. Maybe Whithead is at that level? Lively definitely didn’t seem to be although I know he’s coming back from injury.

I know what you mean. This team is a lot different . Not overly athletic, but we’ll see what happens when Whitehead is back.

Reactions: Volfan8282

VN Store

Back