Game Thread: (11) Lady Vols 67 - (12) Indiana 79

They seem to get it together on the boards in the second half closed to two for the game and were down I think 8 at the half so won the boards by six in the second half. The problem then became after committing five turnovers in the first half fairly good at least good enough to break even as Indiana had five also in the first half. We come out in the second half and go for ten turnovers and Indiana wasn't really doing anything to force them we just commit them through poor passing and bad decisions. JMO Puckett and Pissott should be given the opportunity to play just as many minutes as Walker and Darby. Their defense can't be much worse and I think they add just as much scoring opportunity and a lot more versatility meaning overall basketball skills like passing, rebounding, defense.

I have stayed away from the board just because I knew what was coming after this loss.

The 2nd half was better in terms of defensive intensity and rebounding but, as you note, the LVs kept breaking their own momentum. Having Jordan H. would have helped lessen their first half lethargy but whether she could of made enough of a difference to turn the result I am not sure.

Again, I am not too worried about the early season struggles. Kellie almost has too many new toys to play with. Some of her rotations are really whack and she needs to figure out quickly who fits together.

Hollingshead does not provide much of an offensive threat and when she is on the floor with Franklin, and Wynn, Walker, there is just not enough shooting on the floor.

Hollingshead has the build to be a monster on the boards and a defensive stopper but she is not doing that right now, so she just is not bringing that much to the party (that needs to change).

Pucket and Suarez are both struggling to find a role. Jaz Powell is looking comfortable but she made some bad decisions at critical junctures. Tess is doing her job. Last year, she would force quicker players to the inside where Key awaited to close things down. This season Tamari is not guarding the paint because something seems off in the defensive rotations.

Not sure what is keeping Justine off the court but they need another 3-point threat.

Last edited:
Hope so. Maybe in the easier part of the schedule to get ready for some of the tougher teams. They have VT coming up soon. Elizabeth Kitley had probably the worst game of her career against Key last year. Unless Key is ready to make her day miserable, Tennessee will have a really hard time beating them.

True and that is my point will she be ready to play when TN get to the tougher teams. Because right now from i have have seen she is not. ?

Kellie almost has too many new toys to play with. Some of her rotations are really whack and she needs to figure out quickly who fits together.

Pucket and Suarez are both struggling to find a role.

Too many toys, or more than she knows what to do with. We said that at the game last night! Berenstein Bears Too Much Christmas. She almost has too many players. It's dang hard figuring out all the moving pieces. Very hard for Puckett and Suarez to find a role in such limited appearances. They never get comfortable or get in the flow of the game, assumming any of our games would actually have flow. I have the most hope for Puckett and want to see her play for a stretch, like most of a quarter.

Darby is doing a good job hitting 3s, and that fake and step last night was awesome. But I still think Puckett has more upside. Both can contribute alot.

Hollingshead does not provide much of an offensive threat and we she is on the floor with Franklin, and Wynn, Walker, there is just not enough shooting on the floor.
Hollingshead as the build to be a monster on the boards and a defensive stopper but she is not doing that right now, so she just is not bringing that much to the party (that needs to change).
As with Puckett and Suarez, I think Hollingshead just needs to play. She hit a very nice looking outside jump shot last night. As I said on the other thread, I'm ready for Jillian (and Franklin) to take more of TK's mins.

The other sad decision I had to take last night is that it's time to limit Jordan Walker's mins as well. Like TK, I think she's giving her all, but I believe its more beneficial to the team for her to come off the bench. Love her, defended her all last year, but I'd like to just try a lineup of Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett and Hollingshead. Couldn't do worse!

Never been able to figure out Key during her career. To me she always looks like she does not have much motivation or puts out much effort, then you see her game stats and she has a double -double in points-rebounds and 5 blocks. So maybe she does and somehow it just doesn't show. I think her lack of aggressiveness makes it look like she isn't trying. But she certainly can do better.

Glv98, I said a couple of months ago that this would be the most difficult year of Kellie's coaching career, and that may actually end up being the case. The staff and team are going to figure it out, but it's going to be stressful for Kellie -- guaranteed. She obviously loves her players and wants them all to have solid roles while getting respectable minutes, so the stress is going to come from having to make decisions that may necessarily end up hurting the feelings of some of the kids she loves so much. I really believe she'd hoped that could be avoided. And who knows? Maybe it still can -- I don't know. But I kinda doubt it.

After the dust settles I believe everyone will be okay, but as we all know, change can be hard. Kellie knows she's got to do the hard things, and she'll do them. Everyone try to keep her in mind and send positive vbes her way! 🧡

Too many toys, or more than she knows what to do with. We said that at the game last night! Berenstein Bears Too Much Christmas. She almost has too many players. It's dang hard figuring out all the moving pieces. Very hard for Puckett and Suarez to find a role in such limited appearances. They never get comfortable or get in the flow of the game, assumming any of our games would actually have flow. I have the most hope for Puckett and want to see her play for a stretch, like most of a quarter.

Darby is doing a good job hitting 3s, and that fake and step last night was awesome. But I still think Puckett has more upside. Both can contribute alot.

As with Puckett and Suarez, I think Hollingshead just needs to play. She hit a very nice looking outside jump shot last night. As I said on the other thread, I'm ready for Jillian (and Franklin) to take more of TK's mins.

The other sad decision I had to take last night is that it's time to limit Jordan Walker's mins as well. Like TK, I think she's giving her all, but I believe its more beneficial to the team for her to come off the bench. Love her, defended her all last year, but I'd like to just try a lineup of Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett and Hollingshead. Couldn't do worse!

Good points all around. And again, that is why I am not too worried about these opening game struggles, A quality line-up and rotation will emerge. Right now, the easy one is the Key and Franklin rotation. Franklin will continue to get better as the season goes and she gets further away from her ACL surgery. Her post game is probably better than Key's.

We can pencil in Horston, Jackson, and probably Powell. So the next slot has to be an outside threat -- Tess for now but perhaps Justine as the season goes one.

Walker and Miles coming off the bench makes sense. The hard part is figuring out where and how fit Hollingshead, Puckett and Suarez. Barring injuries, I don't see any of them getting extended minutes in competitive games so their role and function needs to be well-defined for the minutes they do get and they have to be in with the right mix of players.

Last but not least, Jackson showed she can hit 3's. She is going to have take and make some or else she will spending too much forcing things into traffic, though having Horston on the court might also free up some space.

If Kellie decides to do a kind of platoon system, as other posters have noted, Jackson or Horston have to be on the court. I think Tess or Justine also have to involved in platoon system to provide an outside threaat.

Marta had two (maybe three) that looked good but rattled out so on a given night, she could provide some shooting threat.

Glv98, I said a couple of months ago that this would be the most difficult year of Kellie's coaching career, and that may actually end up being the case. The staff and team are going to figure it out, but it's going to be stressful for Kellie -- guaranteed. She obviously loves her players and wants them all to have solid roles while getting respectable minutes, so the stress is going to come from having to make decisions that may necessarily end up hurting the feelings of some of the kids she loves so much. I really believe she'd hoped that could be avoided. And who knows? Maybe it still can -- I don't know. But I kinda doubt it.

After the dust settles I believe everyone will be okay, but as we all know, change can be hard. Kellie knows she's got to do the hard things, and she'll do them. Everyone try to keep her in mind and send positive vbes her way! 🧡
Yes we said all summer this is the pivotal year of Kellie's career. Never had this much talent, this much money, or this much support. Now or never to reach an elite level of coaching while getting the alma mater back to glory. What pressure? In a thread asking for preseason wish list, my #1 was that Kellie not become the next Holly.

I definitely think its way, way too early to give up on this season, and she may very well turn it around. If she does, it will just make the story that much better. And I'm old enough to remember lil French Braid Kellie coming back early from that knee blowout to lead the LVs to a natty. She's tough and smart so I don't count her out.

However, the start has undeniably been rocky. Not just losing, but how we're losing. Our problems are still so much our problems. In a weird way, instead of the new players making us better, we've made them play like us. The LV turnover and bad offense vortex has sucked them right in. Add that a couple of them might not exactly embrace the LV defensive mindset yet. Obviously Kellie is struggling to play ringmaster to it all and find fair mins for her 43 player bench. LOL she's like the dog chasing the car; she's the coach who caught the portal. We'll see what she's able to do with it.

It will be interesting to see the next games lineup. Shame they started off so slowly. They probably won't get to enjoy the trip.

In a weird way, instead of the new players making us better, we've made them play like us. The LV turnover and bad offense vortex has sucked them right in. Add that a couple of them might not exactly embrace the LV defensive mindset yet.

Both Rickea and Jasmine P. were turnover prone at their previous schools. Rickea in particular had games where she'd get really sloppy with the ball. She had 9 TOs in a lostt to USF her sophomore year and almost all of them were her getting picked off while trying to post up. Yet, she kept making the same mistake all game long. Powell seems to force things kind of the same was as Horston. Last year, they averaged 4.7 tos (Rickea), 4.5 tos (Horston) and 3.1 tos (Powell). They got some offensively gifted players, but the ball dominant ones are also very turnover prone.

Puckett is not a great 3-pt shooter...under 30% last season. So far in limited action, she hasn't presented a strong argument for why she should play more. She just looks really slow out there. Same with Suarez (who statistically is a better 3-pt shooter).

No idea why Pissott didn't get minutes. I mean, she put Wynn in the game and frankly, she can't play basketball at this level.
You may be right, but Puckett drained the biggest three point shot last season that got UT to the sweet 16, it was clutch, especially for a freshman. That was not her only clutch shot last season either. She is a ball player, forget the speed deficit or what some might say is an athletic deficiency, she can produce and does when given minutes, she is a smart player. She never looked like she was out of her league last season, to the contrary I believe. And her rebounds, assists, points and court awareness per minute played exceeded many of the starters last season.

I believe her ceiling is much higher than you do, and I feel confident she will become a really good P5 player when she gets extended minutes to develop a little more.

Last edited:
Yes we said all summer this is the pivotal year of Kellie's career. Never had this much talent, this much money, or this much support. Now or never to reach an elite level of coaching while getting the alma mater back to glory. What pressure? In a thread asking for preseason wish list, my #1 was that Kellie not become the next Holly.

I definitely think its way, way too early to give up on this season, and she may very well turn it around. If she does, it will just make the story that much better. And I'm old enough to remember lil French Braid Kellie coming back early from that knee blowout to lead the LVs to a natty. She's tough and smart so I don't count her out.

However, the start has undeniably been rocky. Not just losing, but how we're losing. Our problems are still so much our problems. In a weird way, instead of the new players making us better, we've made them play like us. The LV turnover and bad offense vortex has sucked them right in. Add that a couple of them might not exactly embrace the LV defensive mindset yet. Obviously Kellie is struggling to play ringmaster to it all and find fair mins for her 43 player bench. LOL she's like the dog chasing the car; she's the coach who caught the portal. We'll see what she's able to do with it.

I think it is pretty clear at this point that Kellie will live with TOs if the team is giving full effort on defense and rebounding. And they aren't. When Brooklyn comes in she brings the tenacity. I think she has earned a move up the rotation.

Both Rickea and Jasmine P. were turnover prone at their previous schools. Rickea in particular had games where she'd get really sloppy with the ball. She had 9 TOs in a lostt to USF her sophomore year and almost all of them were her getting picked off while trying to post up. Yet, she kept making the same mistake all game long. Powell seems to force things kind of the same was as Horston. Last year, they averaged 4.7 tos (Rickea), 4.5 tos (Horston) and 3.1 tos (Powell). They got some offensively gifted players, but the ball dominant ones are also very turnover prone.
When Powell signed I looked at her stats and said then Walker had a better a/t.o. ratio. I had also heard about Rickea's bad handle. But I still think the haphazard offense and lack of any flow is making them worse. There's a whole lot of forcing going on, especially late in the shot clock. I noticed last night that zero players ever looked comfortable, except of course the Indiana players. They just have to find some damn rhythm.

You may be right, but Puckett drained the biggest three point shot last season that got UT to the sweet 16, it was clutch, especially for a freshman. That was not her only clutch shot last season either. She is a ball player, forget the speed deficit or what some might say is an athletic deficiency, she can produce and does when given minutes, she is a smart player.

She wanted Wynn to provide a defensive spark but that did not happen. I felt like the games was really like a game show "who wants to hustle" and way too many players did not. Effort was not an issue last season this year it has been. I am sure that is going to change fast.

Yes, that kept her out of the OSU game but she did play briefly in the UMass game, which would indicate she has passed the protocol.
She should get at a minimum 5-10 minutes of PT per game to develop and grow into the college game. She was a 5 star talent, her ceiling is higher than most, let her play some quality minutes each game and bring her along so she is contributing by year end and that will excel her second season preparedness.

Its one thing if the players ahead/above her are stellar upperclassmen types that are big contributors and doing well. Entirely different situation if those Juniors/Seniors are not getting the job done.

She should get at a minimum 5-10 minutes of PT per game to develop and grow into the college game. She was a 5 star talent, her ceiling is higher than most, let her play some quality minutes each game and bring her along so she is contributing by year end and that will excel her second season preparedness.

There have been more than a few top 5 recruits who start having an impact pretty immediately. Why not Justine?

There have been more than a few top 5 recruits who start having an impact pretty immediately. Why not Justine?
They all need one thing, an opportunity. Have to give those types some minutes to develop and grow. You could get it if the upperclassmen were locked in and playing well. Justine likely deserves more PT based upon what we have seen so far. Develop her, then you have a star perhaps, something a few others that get big minutes will never become as witnessed in their 3-4 years of prior play.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty clear at this point that Kellie will live with TOs if the team is giving full effort on defense and rebounding. And they aren't. When Brooklyn comes in she brings the tenacity. I think she has earned a move up the rotation.

Miles is a TO machine. Add to that she is not a rebounder and brings nothing to the offensive end. Her stats this year are abysmal. Defensive "effort" noted.

She should get at a minimum 5-10 minutes of PT per game to develop and grow into the college game.
They all need one thing, an opportunity
Do you think they would lengthen the games for us? We have like 10 players who only need that magical stretch of uninterupted playing time to bust out and ball!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Do you think they would lengthen the games for us? We have like 10 players who only need that magical stretch of uninterupted playing time to bust out and ball!
You only have one AA 5 star recruit on the bench, perhaps she should get a little more consideration for PT? What is the point of working so hard to land those elite players if you don’t play them hardly at all when the upperclassmen above her are not doing the job?

I get your point by the way. But Walker, Darby, Wynn, Miles…..even some of the transfers, none of them will ever develop into an All SEC type player. Pissott could….And with some PT she COULD be All SEC freshman team….You have to see if she can reach her heights in the game.

Again, way different story if those ahead of her are getting it done. At Uconn, SC, Stanford and a few others right now that have multiple 5 star AA players on the bench, the freshman wait a little more and watch, learn and get ready for their time. I think at UT, given the current situation, Justine needs to play those 5-10 minutes per game minimum while you develop her, she may even be better already than some above her.

Last edited:
You may be right, but Puckett drained the biggest three point shot last season that got UT to the sweet 16, it was clutch, especially for a freshman. That was not her only clutch shot last season either. She is a ball player, forget the speed deficit or what some might say is an athletic deficiency, she can produce and does when given minutes, she is a smart player. She never looked like she was out of her league last season, to the contrary I believe. And her rebounds, assists, points and court awareness per minute played exceeded many of the starters last season.

I believe her ceiling is much higher than you do, and I feel confident she will become a really good P5 player when she gets extended minutes to develop a little more.

the more Puckett plays, the better she becomes. She needs minutes

It was against Belmont. Yes, Tennessee needed the win badly and a loss would have been crushing, but it wasn't SC or UConn or Stanford.

I think Puckett can be a big contributor to the team. She's probably not going to be an All-Team performer, but she can be a solid PF that can stretch the defense. But if the team has FF and above aspirations and Rickea Jackson, Jillian Hollingshead and Jasmine Franklin are the other options, I have a hard time going with Sara over these three right now.

Reactions: LadyVol1908

VN Store

Back