Game Thread: (11) Lady Vols 67 - (12) Indiana 79

Assuming she would actually want it….she seems pretty happy at Duke
“If” the position opens up she is on the short list and you extend the olive branch on any issues that might of happened. From social issues to not taking her as a serious candidate for the job after Warlick was dismissed.

Brooklyn Miles is 5'4"...She is the shortest person on the team, and probably on the court in most games...What makes a person/coach think it is a good idea to have her inbound the ball, when the other team is trying to deny the entry pass....She needs some rocket boots, or a step ladder.
NeglectedBogusHermitcrab-max-1mb.gif

Puckett was recruited over for the reason you stated. We have athletic kids to push the tempo but have slow players like Key and Puckett that slow down the pace.
They can play her at the PF spot, which is where she's probably best suited. She's not a guard and not a wing. She can't defend out there and doesn't have the handle to create for herself. She's basically limited to a catch and shoot game there. But she's physically strong, can rebound and stretch the defenses out with a face up game out to the arc. Could be a good change of pace at the high post.

They can play her at the PF spot, which is where she's probably best suited. She's not a guard and not a wing. She can't defend out there and doesn't have the handle to create for herself. She's basically limited to a catch and shoot game there. But she's physically strong, can rebound and stretch the defenses out with a face up game out to the arc. Could be a good change of pace at the high post.

And she could set some high post screens, and be available for kick out 3 point shots as a PF....The way this inept coaching staff is performing, they will have Puckett running point and Miles at PF.

So much hope, and so little performance..

And she could set some high post screens, and be available for kick out 3 point shots as a PF....The way this inept coaching staff is performing, they will have Puckett running point and Miles at PF.

So much hope, and so little performance..

Nothing wrong with being honest.

There’s something there. The end of the game body language towards Harper was either she hates to lose or she’s not feeling the Harper/team. I hope it’s she’s passionate and hates to lose.
Are you talking about Rickea?

Are you talking about Rickea?

There was a FB post talking about Rickea after the game, so I rewatched the last minute. Her body language was not good. She actually shook her head with a look of disgust as the clock was counting down in the final seconds. Even if it's just her competitive nature coming to play, she needs to show more composure next time.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Kind of a big ask but I found out the score before watching the game and I just don't have the heart to watch it now. Would anyone mind posting a synopsis? (what went wrong, what went right, good player performances, poor player performances, any other notables)

Kind of a big ask but I found out the score before watching the game and I just don't have the heart to watch it now. Would anyone mind posting a synopsis? (what went wrong, what went right, good player performances, poor player performances, any other notables)
It was just poor Tennessee defense and rebounding. Indiana second chance points were humiliating thing to watch as they continually got the rebound and put up shots until they made one. They made at least four threes on offensive rebounds in the first half of the game which is where we lost the game down by 11 at the break. Rickea Jackson is a fine offensive player, but her defense at least in this game was weak. She gave up several layups to her man and although Tess did hit three of 7 from the three point line her defense is also just not what we need to see. Jordan Walker went 1 for 6 from the free throw line and also 0 for 4 from the field. Then there were the 10 turnovers in the second half as we made a run got it down to four then two turnovers later it was back up to eight. Puckett plays about six minutes in the game and no sign of Justine Pissott making me wonder what in the world is going on. Coach Harper says it is defense, but I have seen her play defense on the USA team and in high school and it is far better than what I saw from several players last night.

So at this point in the season defense is terrible, rebounding is terrible, and players having a clue of what their role on the team is non existent. I don't know how long it will take to get better since they have been together for three months already and no one seems to have a clue as how to play the game.

But how does that talent/class rankings compare with those of Indiana or Ohio State? Or Massachusetts, for that matter?
Totally fair point, but keep in mind that those teams (not sure about UMASS) are not only senior-laden teams, but have players who have been there for 3 or 4 years TOGETHER. Maybe we have more talent, but with so many new faces, it's not the same. I do expect us to get better - I think we have more room to grow than teams who have been together - who might be better than us now - but it will take time for us to mesh.

My biggest concern is the potential chemistry issue with Horston and Jackson. I can't believe that Kelli would have recruited Rickea without sitting her and Jordan down and saying "ok ladies. this is how it's gonna work". I think Powell is awesome and as the team meshes going forward, she will be a tremendous leader. My other concern is our defense - if that has been a staple in the past, it seems like it was soft and disjointed. If you are gonna hang your hat on defense, it's gotta be better.

I dunno - just trying to see silver linings here!

Totally fair point, but keep in mind that those teams (not sure about UMASS) are not only senior-laden teams, but have players who have been there for 3 or 4 years TOGETHER. Maybe we have more talent, but with so many new faces, it's not the same. I do expect us to get better - I think we have more room to grow than teams who have been together - who might be better than us now - but it will take time for us to mesh.

My biggest concern is the potential chemistry issue with Horston and Jackson. I can't believe that Kelli would have recruited Rickea without sitting her and Jordan down and saying "ok ladies. this is how it's gonna work". I think Powell is awesome and as the team meshes going forward, she will be a tremendous leader. My other concern is our defense - if that has been a staple in the past, it seems like it was soft and disjointed. If you are gonna hang your hat on defense, it's gotta be better.

I dunno - just trying to see silver linings here!

How those two will mesh has been a concern of mine as well. I keep hoping new player integration is part of the issue with defense. Don't know yet but the defensive issues may outlive the offensive issues. Timing is still off and that is affecting flow. This team plays best when they control the boards.

It was just poor Tennessee defense and rebounding. Indiana second chance points were humiliating thing to watch as they continually got the rebound and put up shots until they made one. They made at least four threes on offensive rebounds in the first half of the game which is where we lost the game down by 11 at the break. Rickea Jackson is a fine offensive player, but her defense at least in this game was weak. She gave up several layups to her man and although Tess did hit three of 7 from the three point line her defense is also just not what we need to see. Jordan Walker went 1 for 6 from the free throw line and also 0 for 4 from the field. Then there were the 10 turnovers in the second half as we made a run got it down to four then two turnovers later it was back up to eight. Puckett plays about six minutes in the game and no sign of Justine Pissott making me wonder what in the world is going on. Coach Harper says it is defense, but I have seen her play defense on the USA team and in high school and it is far better than what I saw from several players last night.

So at this point in the season defense is terrible, rebounding is terrible, and players having a clue of what their role on the team is non existent. I don't know how long it will take to get better since they have been together for three months already and no one seems to have a clue as how to play the game.

Thanks, that is also how it looks in the game stats. It also looks like "the other girl from Greenfield" CM-M gave us all we could handle and more. Should we have recruited her? Seems like she would be better than Walker, Miles, or Wynn (and maybe even Darby).

Top 4 in the SEC isn't saying much. Beyond SC, LSU and Tennessee, none of the remaining SEC teams are that good. Elite 8 may not be such an easy goal if they can't fix their chemistry and win some of these marquis OOC games. We'll have a better sense once Horston is back, but Kellie really needs to make building team chemistry and identity her #1 priority.

What`s up Amb3096,
I`m pretty much neutral on this board, From what i have seen so far from TN and LSU i will replace one of the two with Florida ?. They will be my wildcard team to finish 2nd behind SC. As for TN i think Kellie needs to really think about moving 6-5 Hollingshead into the 5 spot over Key right now, The reason i say this is because i have not seen much improvement from Key from last year?. As for the lineup Powell, Horson, in the backcourt Puckett, Jackson and Hollingshead upfront, Now with that being said here is the real problem with this TN team lack of athletic players in the post and on the wing.

She does not rebound well. She has no hops. Therein lies the problem, espcially given that Key doesn't rebound well either. She has no hops, either. If you're gonna have Key in there, there must be someone in there with her who is a rebounder. Hence, the transfer in by Franklin. But Franklin doesn't have her normal rebounding due to recovery from injury. Hence, the dilemma.

Reactions: Volfan2012
That’s how they played her last year, effectively.

That’s how they played her last year, effectively.
I'm believing that she has to play there it is her best position and she is one of our best ten players. I think you have to give players a position and let them play that one place. Key and Hollingshead are your fives the way I see it and you play one or the other there during the game. I like Franklin and Puckett at the four, Jackson and Pissott at the three, Horston and Darby at the two, Powell at point and take your pick of Walker and Miles as her backup. That is their position that is where they play not Hollingshead playing two guard or some similar weird happening. The rest of the team wants to play then show something in practice and bench one of the ones I mentioned. Wynn hasn't improved at all, Suarez might could get in that four spot if she didn't come in and turn the ball over couple times and act like she is a two guard, Striplin hasn't played a minute so don't know anything about her evidently she hasn't improved either cause it doesn't look like you have to be that good to get playing time on this team and she can't see the floor.

The biggest thing I don't understand is that defense and rebounding have been elite the last 2 years under CKH. Like top 5 in the NCAA. Why does this team look average? It's mostly the same players with a few talented additions. Maybe some of this will correct itself as we narrow down our lineups.

I'm also shocked with how little Puckett is playing.

What`s up Amb3096,
I`m pretty much neutral on this board, From what i have seen so far from TN and LSU i will replace one of the two with Florida ?. They will be my wildcard team to finish 2nd behind SC. As for TN i think Kellie needs to really think about moving 6-5 Hollingshead into the 5 spot over Key right now, The reason i say this is because i have not seen much improvement from Key from last year?. As for the lineup Powell, Horson, in the backcourt Puckett, Jackson and Hollingshead upfront, Now with that being said here is the real problem with this TN team lack of athletic players in the post and on the wing.

Hey @djtee where you been???

I haven't seen anything from LSU to drop them yet. Will probably see once SEC play starts but they're positioning themselves well. I'm probably wrong about this, but I think Tamari is the difference between Tennessee being a top 4 team vs. being an also ran. She can totally change the game with her defensive abilities, but she has been maddingly inconsistent. I don't know what's going on there, but this season I do believe that Tennessee or Ride or Die based on what Key decides to contribute. Hollingshead has great upside, but she can't be the defensive anchor that Tamari can be at this stage of their careers. Just my opinion.

She does not rebound well. She has no hops. Therein lies the problem, espcially given that Key doesn't rebound well either. She has no hops, either. If you're gonna have Key in there, there must be someone in there with her who is a rebounder. Hence, the transfer in by Franklin. But Franklin doesn't have her normal rebounding due to recovery from injury. Hence, the dilemma.

Are you talking about Puckett, because that's who I meant. Even if she has no hops, she can be a great rebounder if she establishes position and boxes out. Bashaara Graves couldn't jump 1" off the ground, but was a tremendous rebounder because she understood positioning and had the lower body strength to not be moved. I think Puckett can do that too. I think your selling Tamari short as a rebounder. Even if she doesn't get the board, the other team has 2-3 players trying to prevent her from just reaching over them and grabbing them that it becomes easier for the other players to swoop in and grab it.

Hey @djtee where you been???

I haven't seen anything from LSU to drop them yet. Will probably see once SEC play starts but they're positioning themselves well. I'm probably wrong about this, but I think Tamari is the difference between Tennessee being a top 4 team vs. being an also ran. She can totally change the game with her defensive abilities, but she has been maddingly inconsistent. I don't know what's going on there, but this season I do believe that Tennessee or Ride or Die based on what Key decides to contribute. Hollingshead has great upside, but she can't be the defensive anchor that Tamari can be at this stage of their careers. Just my opinion.

I`m good working traveling, I`m just thinking putting Key on the bench maybe for a game or two will light a fire under her this is her sr year.

I`m good working traveling, I`m just thinking putting Key on the bench maybe for a game or two will light a fire under her this is her sr year.
Hope so. Maybe in the easier part of the schedule to get ready for some of the tougher teams. They have VT coming up soon. Elizabeth Kitley had probably the worst game of her career against Key last year. Unless Key is ready to make her day miserable, Tennessee will have a really hard time beating them.

The biggest thing I don't understand is that defense and rebounding have been elite the last 2 years under CKH. Like top 5 in the NCAA. Why does this team look average? It's mostly the same players with a few talented additions. Maybe some of this will correct itself as we narrow down our lineups.

I'm also shocked with how little Puckett is playing.
They seem to get it together on the boards in the second half closed to two for the game and were down I think 8 at the half so won the boards by six in the second half. The problem then became after committing five turnovers in the first half fairly good at least good enough to break even as Indiana had five also in the first half. We come out in the second half and go for ten turnovers and Indiana wasn't really doing anything to force them we just commit them through poor passing and bad decisions. JMO Puckett and Pissott should be given the opportunity to play just as many minutes as Walker and Darby. Their defense can't be much worse and I think they add just as much scoring opportunity and a lot more versatility meaning overall basketball skills like passing, rebounding, defense.

VN Store

Back