Coach Kellie discusses the Ohio State game

I think this is the biggest issue to solve for right now. Both Jackson and Horston are ball dominant players. Horston has good court vision, but has a tendency to just go for hero ball when things are tight while her teammates stand out. Rickea doesn't look to pass; once the ball goes to Rickea, she's looking to score. I don't recall her passing it back out much when she was at MSST. Between her, Horston and Powell, that's too many players that are looking to go one on one-two-three. These three need to lose their "score at all costs" mindset and play more team ball.
This article, written last month discusses several of the same topics you have in your post.

NCAAW: Change of scenery important for WNBA hopeful Rickea Jackson - Swish Appeal

Reactions: Amb3096
Sounds like a third quarter timeout would've solved everything. So there you go.

That does seem to be the consensus of the board. I saw five individuals playing against a team. The individuals led in the first half only because of poor shooting by the team. Second half was a nightmare when team started hitting shots. Individuals then became hurried and mistake prone and nothing remedied the situation. Regarding the timeouts not being called— do we not have a single player who is wise enough in that situation to call a time out? Do they expect punishment if they do so? My guess is that all were shell shocked at the turn of events because they expected to be a team rather than five individuals. Takes time to mold individuals into a team. This should be a great learning experience.

Harper's recruiting has been terrible--and we looked terrible the other night. If she doesn't make some hay with this team, this year, she should most definitely be on the hot seat. Can she develop and mold a cohesive team out of this group? Not so far--but we'll see. Beyond that, I"m not at all sure this roster is as talented as many on here seem to think. For starters, the transfer group doesn't seem as stellar as advertised. Jackson is talented. Powell has the potential to be solid to good. That's about as far as I'd go with the transfers. Horston is talented but undisciplined. And after those three, who do we have that can help make us a national contender? Puckett should help--and yet she played very little the other night, strangely. Pissot would seem to have potential--but didn't play the other night: inijured? And after those two? Key is very big and very slow. And after that, I see a lot of meh.

We badly need Harper to put together a real team, but she's going to have to show a lot more toughness to do it, IMO. It's been VERY tiresome to witness the mediocrity of this program for 20 years. Harper needs to show she can get the job done this year.

Actually, the in-game adjustments were not a strength of CPS. In fact that was the constant complaint during her dry years with no NC-- she could not adapt on the fly like Geno, or Tara, or Mulkey. Under CPS, the LVs had plenty of off nights.

That is basketball. It is not fair to compare Kellie to CPS but it is even worse when people trot out an idealized version of CPS and her teams.

Agree and Ladies BB gets deeper & deeper in player talent & coaching talent every year. In the 80s & 90s you had to get up for select games but there were hardly ever upsets and you could pick the F4 and always be close or on. The game has evolved you got to bring it every game. Little girls start playing early and there are a lot of good HS & ASU BB Coaches feeding the system.

It appears that a lot of professed "fans" did that several years ago.

CD, i was making an inside joke about one of CPS's favorite motivational tools to use when she felt her teams weren't playing "Lady Vol" basketball..Maybe some on here will remember..As far as me being a "professed fan", yeah from the early 70's.....

Agree and Ladies BB gets deeper & deeper in player talent & coaching talent every year. In the 80s & 90s you had to get up for select games but there were hardly ever upsets and you could pick the F4 and always be close or on. The game has evolved you got to bring it every game. Little girls start playing early and there are a lot of good HS & ASU BB Coaches feeding the system.

little girls have always played early,,,they just didn't get little-boy teaching re sports. They got uncle coaches and big brothers. rarely got coaches,,,and I mean real coaches. Coaches who were students of the game.

Now it is vogue to coach girls.
I can say that bc I coached girls when it wasn't (1981).
But they are getting serious coaches all the way up the ranks now.

Last edited:
little girls have always played early,,,they just didn't get little-boy teaching re sports. They got uncle coaches and big brothers. rarely got coaches,,,and I mean real coaches. Coaches whi were students of the game.

Now it is vogue to coach girls.
I can say that bc I coached girls when it wasn't (1971).
But they are getting serious coaches all the way up the ranks now.
How old were you in 1971 ?

CD, i was making an inside joke about one of CPS's favorite motivational tools to use when she felt her teams weren't playing "Lady Vol" basketball..Maybe some on here will remember..As far as me being a "professed fan", yeah from the early 70's.....

Sorry, Scoob, I wasn't aiming at you. I got the Pat kicking-out-of-locker-room tactic allusion (although my initial reading was that you were also taking a sarcastic shot at the perpetually dissatisfied gripers, drive-bys, and trolls who only show up during games). It was funny either way, and I was just riffing on your jest in a slightly different direction.

Apologies for giving the impression that I was lumping you in with the above-mentioned scalawags. :oops:

Your fandom predates mine. I became a fan of girls' basketball during my student-teaching days when some of my students invited me to come watch them play. Became a LV fan around 1981 around the same time that I took over a middle school team.

Last edited:
Sorry, Scoob, I wasn't aiming at you. I got the Pat kicking-out-of-locker-room tactic allusion (although my initial reading was that you were also taking a sarcastic shot at the perpetually dissatisfied gripers, drive-bys, and trolls who only show up during games). It was funny either way, and I was just riffing on your jest in a slightly different direction.

Apologies for giving the impression that I was lumping you in with the above-mentioned scalawags. :oops:

Your fandom predates mine. I became a fan of girls' basketball during my student-teaching daumys when some of my students invited me to come watch them play. Became a LV fan around 1981 around the same time that I took over a middle school team.

No worries CD..I always appreciate your posts and took no offense..But I do think the folks with the pitchforks and torches should hold off a bit longer before burying this team of CKH's..I think maybe the Ohio State game was her trying to let her girls figure some things out for themselves..JMHO

Discipline re control?
Or punishment?

As Pat Summitt's dad said,,,“You don't take donkeys to the Kentucky Derby. You better get you some race horses.”

We got the horses, now treat em like thoroughbreds, not quarter horses
You break a quarter horses' spirit, you control a thoroughbred's
But you never break it
Discipline in the game. You can't win with 29 turnovers, I don't care how aggressive you are.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back