DJ Jefferson redshirt

mtvols

Surprised no thread on this. Looks like Barnes will redshirt DJ Jefferson. Says an injury in preseason has him behind the others. Thoughts?

“We are going to redshirt him,” Barnes said after the game when asked. “We’re really excited that he’s here with us. He’s got a load of talent and he missed some early season practice which set him back. It’s happened every year. When a freshman misses that early season practice, and I think he was out for a couple weeks with an ankle, and it really set him back especially with the older group of guys.”

You don’t redshirt a kid to be a transfer. Why he’ll another school? You do it if you feel really good about his upside and using a year of eligibility before he develops is a waste.

I am not saying it to think that UT (Barnes) is getting him ready for portal. I'm saying it from the kid's point of view.

LOL everyone that gets redshirted doesn't leave, hell years ago a redshirt was normal for most incoming Freshmen , everyone isnt a Micheal Jordan or Kobe some need time to develop

This isn't years ago. This is a NEW DAY, many kids (maybe not this one) put in this situation will say "to hell with this" and move on.

This isn't years ago. This is a NEW DAY, many kids (maybe not this one) put in this situation will say "to hell with this" and move on.

Don't you think Coach Barnes talks with these guys and their families before such decisions are made? He's unlikely to recruit a kid and then spring an unwanted redshirt on him. If Jefferson's going to be a redshirt, I cannot believe he and his family weren't involved in the decision and have seen a benefit from doing so.

You don’t redshirt a kid to be a transfer. Why he’ll another school? You do it if you feel really good about his upside and using a year of eligibility before he develops is a waste.

With the exception of Lamonte Turmer, who was forced to Redshirt, who has redshirted under Barnes and not left the program? Fulkerson only redshirted due to injury.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but these people who needed development have typically been recruited over. Jefferson's situation is a little different becsuse there's at the least 3 talented seniors at his position.

Don't you think Coach Barnes talks with these guys and their families before such decisions are made? He's unlikely to recruit a kid and then spring an unwanted redshirt on him. If Jefferson's going to be a redshirt, I cannot believe he and his family weren't involved in the decision and have seen a benefit from doing so.

I understand what you are saying, however, if this has been brought on by an ankle problem that limited practice, to me this is a different scenario than the one you present. Besides, you never know how a disappointed youngster will react. I am just saying - -

Geesh if you cant beat them join them, he will transfer out and score thirty points a game for a MAC team and Barnes once again will take the blame sound about rite

I understand what you are saying, however, if this has been brought on by an ankle problem that limited practice, to me this is a different scenario than the one you present. Besides, you never know how a disappointed youngster will react. I am just saying - -
Wasn’t Aidoo planning to red shirt last year due to some early season injury issues but changed his plan when ON was lost to injury? Sometimes quality freshmen red shirt and don’t leave. Hopefully DJ falls into that category as there’s a lot of minutes up for grabs next year

DJ is a family friend of ours, and from speaking with his mom, DJ is very happy with his decision and his family supports him 100%
I really hope this is true. Very high ceiling as a player and would love to see a player in today's college athletics culture make a mature decision for his long-term development.

Reactions: HeadVol77

VN Store

Back