What teams in 2023 do you think could quickly rise up like Tennessee did in 2022?

Jeff Clark

What teams do you think in 2023 could rise up out of nowhere like Tennessee did in 2022? Here are 5 teams i think could be the Tennessee of 2023(not necessarily in this order).

Illinois
Kansas
FSU
Duke
Syracuse

What teams do you think in 2023 could rise up out of nowhere like Tennessee did in 2022? Here are 5 teams i think could be the Tennessee of 2023(not necessarily in this order).

Illinois
Kansas
FSU
Duke
Syracuse
It's so hard to say because the coaching carousel and portal moves haven't played out yet.

There is absolutely no evidence that indicates this, but given their history as a program it would not shock me if Auburn was much better in 2023. If they got the right coach and some good pickups in the portal, they very quickly could return to being a competitive program. They've already pulled off going from 5-7 to 14-0 from 2008-10, and went from 3-9 to a play away from winning the national title in 2012-13, and the portal didn't even exist in those days. Crazier things have happened.

Illinois
Kansas
FSU
Duke
Syracuse
I think the ACC will always give teams the most opportunity to quickly climb, especially now that Clemson is coming back down to Earth. I’m guessing UNC with Drake Maye will be the trendy preseason pick . I know they’re 8-1 or whatever, but they’re still not very good right now. I could see them as a top 12 team next season.

I think the ACC will always give teams the most opportunity to quickly climb, especially now that Clemson is coming back down to Earth. I’m guessing UNC with Drake Maye will be the trendy preseason pick . I know they’re 8-1 or whatever, but they’re still not very good right now. I could see them as a top 12 team next season.
They might be the least impressive 8-1 team I've ever seen. Their loss to ND does look better by the week, but they barely scraped by 2 G5 teams (App and Georgia St) and have barely beaten 2 very bad ACC teams (Miami and Virginia).

AP voters appear to realize that because they've put 3 2-loss teams ahead of them along with 6 other teams that have also lost one game, but honestly they're still too high at #15. I'd have them back in the high teens or maybe #20.

They might be the least impressive 8-1 team I've ever seen. Their loss to ND does look better by the week, but they barely scraped by 2 G5 teams (App and Georgia St) and have barely beaten 2 very bad ACC teams (Miami and Virginia).

AP voters appear to realize that because they've put 3 2-loss teams ahead of them along with 6 other teams that have also lost one game, but honestly they're still too high at #15. I'd have them back in the high teens or maybe #20.
Everyone that knows me on here, knows my disdain for UNC, but this isn’t a biased opinion. They aren’t very good . They gave up 40 points in 1 quarter to App State. They got worked by Notre Dame when ND was losing to Marshall and Stanford in South Bend. Their record is a result of a very weak schedule . They have zero top 25 wins. They may catch an L this weekend at Wake.

Everyone that knows me on here, knows my disdain for UNC, but this isn’t a biased opinion. They aren’t very good . They gave up 40 points in 1 quarter to App State. They got worked by Notre Dame when ND was losing to Marshall and Stanford in South Bend. Their record is a result of a very weak schedule . They have zero top 25 wins. They may catch an L this weekend at Wake.
It's like the 1980s in the ACC where a team could win 9-10 games and be barely ranked in the Top 20-25.

Illinois
Kansas
FSU
Duke
Syracuse
If Auburn gets Kiffin then the tigers could take a big step but not as big as UT. 9 wins could be doable. I would like to see Illinois improve under Bret Bielema. He is an easy coach to root for. Lance Leipold may be coaching at a bigger program in the near future.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
It's like the 1980s in the ACC where a team could win 9-10 games and be barely ranked in the Top 20-25.
I grew up going to Wallace Wade when Spurrier was coaching Duke. I remember UVA, GT and Clemson being really tough. NC State was pretty tough under Dick Sheridan (spelling?) . UVA and GT seemed like they always represented the ACC pretty well back then.

If Auburn gets Kiffin then the tigers could take a big step but not as big as UT. 9 wins could be doable. I would like to see Illinois improve under Bret Bielema. He is an easy coach to root for. Lance Leipold may be coaching at a bigger program in the near future.

He’ll be in Chapel Hill after Brown calls it a career. You want someone to challenge Clemson he can.

Dabo has absolutely no reason in the world to take that job.
Except he could think of it as another challenge and he could think he has hit the ceiling at Clemson. I think Dabo at Alabama would be another Ray Perkins or Bill Curry and win 9-10 games a season and be hated for not winning enough games and be fired after 4 seasons.

Except he could think of it as another challenge and he could think he has hit the ceiling at Clemson.
He's hit the ceiling at any program...period. He's made it to the CFP 6 times, made it to the title game 4 times, and won 2 of them. That's the ceiling at any program.

Dabo walks on water at Clemson. He can make the same salary at Clemson. He has an easier road to the CFP at Clemson. He can achieve anything he could at Alabama at Clemson. Unless he does something insane and wins 6 titles in 8 years, he will always be behind the Bear and Saban at Alabama. He has absolutely no reason to leave Clemson to take any other job.

His ego will bite him
Dabo does have a huge ego...which is why he'll stay at Clemson. It will always be all about Dabo at Clemson. It wouldn't be like that at Alabama.

Florida State

Florida-never count them out.

Texas-they are kind of where we were last year. Decent but severely flawed. I think next year they will be "back" as least for the year if Ewers stays healthy.

Auburn-they get Kiffin and things could get really interesting down there

Choices here are pretty limited. None of the west coast teams which are way way down at the moment have much of a fanbase.

Many of the ACC schools-Duke, uVA, etc really don't care if they win or lose.

Surprised Florida isn’t being mentioned.

That state is flooded with elite talent every year.

There’s really no excuse for them to be down for as long as they have.

Surprised Florida isn’t being mentioned.

That state is flooded with elite talent every year.

There’s really no excuse for them to be down for as long as they have.
Butch Zook will have Florida in the shape Tennessee was from 2008-2020.

Illinois
Kansas
FSU
Duke
Syracuse

FSU is the only team on that list that has the brand and ability to bring in the recruits necessary to ascend imo.

I would say TAMU but need to wait until after Dec 4th when the transfer portal opens to say for sure.
A program can get well quick with the new rules. It would a lot of the time take a decade to get it back together for a lot of programs.

Reactions: WillisWG

VN Store

Back