Game Thread: Lady Vols 75 - Ohio State 87

Watching the full game on youtube, I have a question that may expose my ignorance, but: in games now, when one team scores a basket, is the game clock allowed now by rule to keep ticking before the OTHER team inbounds the ball? Used to be, it stopped after every made basket, and does not resume until the other team inbounded the ball into someone's hands. Has that been changed?

Rules

1668122589969.png

I know I'll get accosted by Madtown and other sunshine pumpers who do nothing but make excuses when we lose, but that's ok, you can't wear orange-tinted glasses all the time. Pat made no excuses in her career and certainly would not after this loss.
1. To have 30 turnovers in a game is inexcusable. In the 3rd quarter they had more turnovers than points. I don't care if this were a middle school team, the first thing you teach is ball control and to value each possession. Something this team has not done in the past several years. Pat's philosophy - execute or ride the pine...
2. Saving the timeouts for the 4th quarter - when the other team goes on a scoring run of more than 8-10 points, it doesn't matter what quarter it is, you call a freakin' timeout to settle and refocus your players. It also breaks the momentum when the other team's hot. This has not been consistently done during the Harper era. Why have 3 or 4 timeouts left in the 4th quarter when you are up by six going into the 3rd and then find yourself down by 12 mid way through the 3rd quarter - and no timeout taken. When you turn the ball over on five straight possessions and you're not near a TV timeout, you certainly don't try to wait for one. Call the damn timeout!
3. Foul trouble early - can someone not teach Key to stay off the other post player during the first two minutes of the game? 2 fouls in the first 2:30 of the game and she's sitting the bench the rest of the half. This isn't the only game she's been sitting the entire rest of the 1st half with less than 3 minutes of game time. Whoever's coaching the post players is the one who should be running laps at the next practice!
4. Press breaker - this team struggle mightily against the press last year. You would think that with new players and a new point guard that your press break offense would be one of the first things you work on in the off season. This has been a team weakness for years - why in the heck did they not work on this more in practice???

The season is young and this team has a lot to work on - chemistry, ball control, passing, spacing, etc. Good news is there's lots of time to get it together and I'm kinda glad they got blasted in the opener. This will let them know that just because you've got 4 or 5 stars next to your recruiting ranking, doesn't mean you can just dial it in. I saw way too many individuals trying to play basketball for TN and not many trying to play as a team. Chalk it up to experience, but this team has a lot to learn and so do the coaches... Trusting CKH to right the ship!
Agree with all of this. I ADORE CKH as a person. The way she caries herself. She is bright, well-spoken and a terrific face of the LV program. I have not seen anything yet during her tenure that leads me to believe she will lead the LV back to the Final Four. We will always have good teams, make the NCAA tournament, Sweet 16 or maybe Elite 8. I hope someday someone can rub this in my face and show me how wrong I am but just don't see it.

OK, thanks. I noticed a bad officiating call with 4:32 left in the 3rd period: It was at this moment when Ohio State's Mikulasikova drove for a layup. I guess my question regarding the game clock was a moot issue - it is the SHOT clock that matters to the 10-second backcourt rule.

After Mikulasikova's lay-up at the 4:32 mark, Tennessee inbounded the ball into Powell at the 4:27 mark. Powell passes the ball to Horston, who is called for a 10-second backcourt violation at the 4:22 mark. Tennessee by rule shouldn't have had the 10-second rule start until the 4:27 mark, but it seems like the official started it at the mark when the ball was going through the hoop from Mikulasikova's lay-up. So Tennessee essentially had 5 seconds to keep from violating the 10-second backcourt rule, which they failed to do. It was their 17th turnover for the game....

[VIDEO=]

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
OK, thanks. I noticed a bad officiating call with 4:32 left in the 3rd period: It was at this moment when Ohio State's Mikulasikova drove for a layup. I guess my question regarding the game clock was a moot issue - it is the SHOT clock that matters to the 10-second backcourt rule.

After Mikulasikova's lay-up at the 4:32 mark, Tennessee inbounded the ball into Powell at the 4:27 mark. Powell passes the ball to Horston, who is called for a 10-second backcourt violation at the 4:22 mark. Tennessee by rule shouldn't have had the 10-second rule start until the 4:27 mark, but it seems like the official started it at the mark when the ball was going through the hoop from Mikulasikova's lay-up. So Tennessee essentially had 5 seconds to keep from violating the 10-second backcourt rule, which they failed to do. It was their 17th turnover for the game....

[VIDEO=]

I totally agree....I reran that segment several times and the 10 second clock was off by a couple of seconds....5 seconds and then 7 seconds they blew the whistle for timeline infraction...Kellie should have done something about this mistake by the refs...Take a tech if you have to, but refs were quick whistling our girls..

This segment led to OS going on their 18 point scoring barrage...Admittedly our girls were a little to lackadaisy getting across the line...One to many passes...Dribble the damn ball toward the line, not horizontal...

In any event, I do hope our coaching staff is practicing for the next full court press used against us, because we will see it again...

UMass showed our staff how to break a full court press...They went right by our girls like that were going to a sale on cosmetics...

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908
Assuming you're referring to Tess and Marta. Both are slow and a huge liability on the defensive end. Both get blown by for an easy layup way more times than either hits a 3 pointer. Don't get me wrong, I like Tess and think she's one of the few players on this team that plays team basketball, but I just don't understand why she gets so much playing time when you have quicker defenders who aren't so easy to side step on defense and take the ball to the rim on. She should be in the rotation, but I think there's others that aren't getting minutes that she's getting and are more effective on offense and defense.

Aside from Horston, Powell, Jackson, and possibly Key, I can't think of anyone who is more effective on offense than Tess. Maybe Franklin? And I thought she played pretty good defense against UMass. And she showed some rebounding chops, too. She's earning my respect more with each game.

VN Store

Back