Copper Cellar shutting down

Majors

Hearing Chase sold the property and it will be turned into another student apartment high rise with underground garage. Will be shutting down soon.

tenor.gif

I worked at the Original Copper Cellar 1977 through 1979, starting as a dishwasher and working my way up to being a “broilerman,” the principal cook on football Saturdays. It was a great experience with a great staff and the beginning of an iconic Knoxville enterprise. When Copper Cellar West opened, we marveled at how much room they had.

That last part has turned into a racket, fleecing students (and parents) out of hard earned money. Housing is a joke.
I wasn’t very happy when one of my kids in college had granite countertops long before I ever did (soapstone, actually, about ten years ago. How did things get so bass-ackwards?!

I wasn’t very happy when one of my kids in college had granite countertops long before I ever did (soapstone, actually, about ten years ago. How did things get so bass-ackwards?!

I (for my child) am awaiting a lease for an apartment, because any one other than a freshman can’t live on campus, that will require 12 months rent even though school ends in May.

And that’s for the 2023-24 school year. And better do it now if you don’t want your child living in a slum.

Scam

The vast majority of non-freshman cannot get a dorm room. My would be sophomore was ~650 on the wait list. Hence the proliferation of campus style apartments there now.
Wow, that’s crazy. They must have torn down or converted some dorms. We tried to move off-campus, because good Lord, Hess Hall with no a/c, but there were plenty of upper-classmen on campus. Of course, there were still Melrose, Strong, etc.

I heard the property went for roughly 20M. Not a bad deal for Chase in a landscape that has changed the last few years on Cumberland Ave. from how we all remember it to a complete overhaul.

Reactions: VolNExile
I heard the property went for roughly 20M. Not a bad deal for Chase in a landscape that has changed the last few years on Cumberland Ave. from how we all remember it to a complete overhaul.
Wonder if he'll rent space back in the new building and reopen...... or knowing Mike, he got 20M and negotiated free space like the tenants in NYC with rent control.

Reactions: Majors
These developers have destroyed the character of the strip. I think the final holdouts are the liquor store and a few businesses next to it, but I think they’re being forced out.
The character will change but it won't disappear. All these new complexes are mixed use. There will be new bars and restaurants come in... they won't be as homey but it'll drive students back to the strip from downtown and the old city.

Reactions: volfaninky
Wonder if he'll rent space back in the new building and reopen...... or knowing Mike, he got 20M and negotiated free space like the tenants in NYC with rent control.
Not sure, he’s getting up there in age and got a good deal in a dying area. Good chunk of change.

Wow, that’s crazy. They must have torn down or converted some dorms. We tried to move off-campus, because good Lord, Hess Hall with no a/c, but there were plenty of upper-classmen on campus. Of course, there were still Melrose, Strong, etc.

They’ve built and upgraded some dorms in the past few years, but still can’t meet the demand of the number of incoming freshmen. My senior year they were having to put freshmen in hotels and if you were a sophomore or above, it had to be off campus. The only way you were living on campus was if you were in a fraternity or an athlete.

Although to your point, I lived at The Retreat (called something else now I think) and it was nicer and had more amenities than the house I own now!

VN Store

Back