Do you Run?……Walk?….Bike?…..Swim?

Split wood, yesterday. Seasoned logs. Made kindling and pieces for burning. Used an axe. Didn’t need the sledge & wedges. Stacked the output on a sheltered rack. About 2&1/2 hours of steady labor. Felt good. No adverse effects, today.

Reactions: tntar heel
I have a Giant Defy Advance road bike. It’s been good for 11 years. I still enjoy riding it. However, getting older, I want a more relaxed upright posture (it’s a thing in cycling). Test ride some bikes, Slice. Get a good idea of what you want. Check online for used bikes, or resign yourself to paying full price for a new one. The pandemic supply chain interruptions combined with increased interest/demand is still impacting availability of new bicycles.

As I’m getting older I’m thinking about adding biking more to my routine. I had a decent road bike but that’s gone. I’m starting to think about a new one. What are you riding? What are your thoughts on it?
I have an old 2005 Trek Madone. I'm not at all up on what's on the market today. I can only make general comments.

Basically when you buy a bike you're three things : frame, component set, wheels. Depending on how much you want to pay (especially with the latter two), you can get a lighter build. Within a price range the major brands are going to be fairly similar quality-wise. So you should focus on what model might fit you the best (very important), if you like its looks, if you like the service at a particular bike shop, etc.

I have an old 2005 Trek Madone. I'm not at all up on what's on the market today. I can only make general comments.

Basically when you buy a bike you're three things : frame, component set, wheels. Depending on how much you want to pay (especially with the latter two), you can get a lighter build. Within a price range the major brands are going to be fairly similar quality-wise. So you should focus on what model might fit you the best (very important), if you like its looks, if you like the service at a particular bike shop, etc.
I’m a buy good buy once guy. My mountain bike which I use a lot for casual rides with the red women is a trek and is 15-20 years old. I’ve updated and fixed it so many times it probably would have been cheaper to replace it.
I guess that’s why I asked. I never liked my road bike. Thanks why it’s gone. I’d like this to be the last bike I buy.

I have a Giant Defy Advance road bike. It’s been good for 11 years. I still enjoy riding it. However, getting older, I want a more relaxed upright posture (it’s a thing in cycling). Test ride some bikes, Slice. Get a good idea of what you want. Check online for used bikes, or resign yourself to paying full price for a new one. The pandemic supply chain interruptions combined with increased interest/demand is still impacting availability of new bicycles.
How far do you typically go?
I’m targeting a 50 minute exercise period more than the distance I cover.

Cycling can be very enjoyable, but one issue (compared to running) is having a good place to ride.

Just within the last five years the traffic on some of the routes I do around West Knox County has gotten noticeably heavier. It's not great.

I’m a buy good buy once guy. My mountain bike which I use a lot for casual rides with the red women is a trek and is 15-20 years old. I’ve updated and fixed it so many times it probably would have been cheaper to replace it.
I guess that’s why I asked. I never liked my road bike. Thanks why it’s gone. I’d like this to be the last bike I buy.
If you want better online advice take a look at bikeforums.net There's both hardcore and casual riders there.

These days, 20-28 miles. I get that done in about 90 minutes, but we often stop for slower riders in our group. I’ve made that distance (with hills) in less time when riding with “the faster group.”

For 2023, I’m targeting longer rides and better times, training for a touring ride.

Everyone is different, but if I'm go to the trouble of getting dressed up, etc., once I get out on the road I'm going to want to go more than 50 minutes.

You can get a good workout in that time, obviously. But in reality that feels like a short ride, especially if you have stops, traffic lights, etc.

Everyone is different, but if I'm go to the trouble of getting dressed up, etc., once I get out on the road I'm going to want to go more than 50 minutes.

You can get a good workout in that time, obviously. But in reality that feels like a short ride, especially if you have stops, traffic lights, etc.
It probably is a short ride but honestly it’s about the exercise plan and my health than it is the ride.

It probably is a short ride but honestly it’s about the exercise plan and my health than it is the ride.
Admittedly I've never been a very regimented exerciser, but what I'm saying is that a 50 minute bike ride ≠ 50 minute run, if that's where you're getting your 50 minutes from.

Admittedly I've never been a very regimented exerciser, but what I'm saying is that a 50 minute bike ride ≠ 50 minute run, if that's where you're getting your 50 minutes from.
I’m getting the 50 minutes 3 times a week and 30 minutes 2 times a week from this Dr Chick who’s job it is to keep me healthy. Honestly the bike plan is more about the future than the present. Running is just outside my front door. The bike would require traveling to a starting point.

I’m getting the 50 minutes 3 times a week and 30 minutes 2 times a week from this Dr Chick who’s job it is to keep me healthy. Honestly the bike plan is more about the future than the present. Running is just outside my front door. The bike would require traveling to a starting point.
What kind of Dr Chick?

If you're in chatt, you can always ride the riverwalk to stay out of traffic. Biking is easier on the knees, maybe even therapeutic for me, but I do both biking and running.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Ahh, Halloween, with a concert rehearsal thrown in. Weekly goal of 200 minutes, took care of that and more on day 1 of the Fitbit week:
1667273010520.png

Trek FX bikes are great for fitness / comfort. Basically a road bike but with flat bar and more upright sitting position. Also way more affordable than a road bike. A good entry level road bike (with like Shimano 105 shifters) is probably 2 grand nowadays. I haven’t bought a new bike in about 4 years though.

I have a Sworks Tarmac and then a Specialized Roubaix. Roubaix is also a good “comfy” road bike

Trek FX bikes are great for fitness / comfort. Basically a road bike but with flat bar and more upright sitting position. Also way more affordable than a road bike. A good entry level road bike (with like Shimano 105 shifters) is probably 2 grand nowadays. I haven’t bought a new bike in about 4 years though.

I have a Sworks Tarmac and then a Specialized Roubaix. Roubaix is also a good “comfy” road bike
Good information
Thanks

VN Store

Back