Auburn / Harsin

Does Dan Mullen have enough juice in his resume to please the boosters down there?
I find it doubtful.
He fell short at UF, and AUB sees themselves at that level, and they should, I guess.

Auburn is where we were post Butch.... The hire after Butch regardless of who was hiring him should have always been an establish and stable coach. Pruitt was not that, Schiano was not that. Gundy was that but he was never leaving home for the SEC.

Auburn needs a boring hire that can develop offense as that is where the league is going. Mullen has that track record.

Auburn is where we were post Butch.... The hire after Butch regardless of who was hiring him should have always been an establish and stable coach. Pruitt was not that, Schiano was not that. Gundy was that but he was never leaving home for the SEC.

Auburn needs a boring hire that can develop offense as that is where the league is going. Mullen has that track record.
The problem with Mullen is that Auburn is a job where in order to have a team that meets their expectations, you have to recruit really well. You have to go into ATL and win recruiting battles with UGA, win recruiting battles with Alabama, etc.

Ohio State, Notre Dame and Auburn are some of the football programs I hate the most. I'd like the see the Barn hire someone that will consistently take them to 3-9 (or worse) every season.

The problem with Mullen is that Auburn is a job where in order to have a team that meets their expectations, you have to recruit really well. You have to go into ATL and win recruiting battles with UGA, win recruiting battles with Alabama, etc.

Problem with Auburn is that they are 2-3 years away from stabilizing. Now Heupel is the argument against that longer time frame, but Auburn has to boot some boosters out of the control part like Danny White did. I don't see Auburn doing that just yet. Like they can't use Heupel as a defense that the right coach can turn things around while having the same crazy ass boosters dictating what the AD and admin do at every turn.

Problem with Auburn is that they are 2-3 years away from stabilizing. Now Heupel is the argument against that longer time frame, but Auburn has to boot some boosters out of the control part like Danny White did. I don't see Auburn doing that just yet. Like they can't use Heupel as a defense that the right coach can turn things around while having the same crazy ass boosters dictating what the AD and admin do at every turn.
Nobody really knows how far they are away. When Pruitt was fired, I did not think Tennessee was 12 months away from stabilizing and 18 months away from an 8-0 start and a #2 ranking.

In hindsight, I think Tennessee was able to stabilize because our factions of boosters had already effectively booted themselves out of the way. The Haslams and those connected to them lost influence after the Schiano debacle, and the Fulmerites lost influence with the Pruitt debacle. Neither faction was really able to dictate terms, allowing our admin to hire an outsider as AD and allow him to bring in the coach he wanted. Luckily for us, that coach is off to a great start, which further silences the people who want to sink hooks into a coach as soon as he starts struggling.

If I understand Auburn correctly, they don't really have competing factions of boosters so much as they have a single booster, Jimmy Rane, who basically runs everything down there. It was Bobby Lowder before that.

Nobody really knows how far they are away. When Pruitt was fired, I did not think Tennessee was 12 months away from stabilizing and 18 months away from an 8-0 start and a #2 ranking.

In hindsight, I think Tennessee was able to stabilize because our factions of boosters had already effectively booted themselves out of the way. The Haslams and those connected to them lost influence after the Schiano debacle, and the Fulmerites lost influence with the Pruitt debacle. Neither faction was really able to dictate terms, allowing our admin to hire an outsider as AD and allow him to bring in the coach he wanted. Luckily for us, that coach is off to a great start, which further silences the people who want to sink hooks into a coach as soon as he starts struggling.

If I understand Auburn correctly, they don't really have competing factions of boosters so much as they have a single booster, Jimmy Rane, who basically runs everything down there. It was Bobby Lowder before that.

I didn't expect Heupel to win close to 20 games in two years here. But when Randy Boyd went out and was major piece in getting Danny White to Knoxville, that was a monumental move given our last 10-15 years. Auburn has to do the same. Not sure plucking Cohen is a bold move to get the booster class to settle down. Reminds me very much of a Currie like hire for them.

If Cohen somehow gets the mega booster to write the check and butt out, that is positive first step. But everything i've heard about Auburn, there isn't an overnight come to Jesus realization with Auburn just yet.

Good for Harsin though getting his bag.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I didn't expect Heupel to win close to 20 games in two years here. But when Randy Boyd went out and was major piece in getting Danny White to Knoxville, that was a monumental move given our last 10-15 years. Auburn has to do the same. Not sure plucking Cohen is a bold move to get the booster class to settle down. Reminds me very much of a Currie like hire for them.

If Cohen somehow gets the mega booster to write the check and butt out, that is positive first step. But everything i've heard about Auburn, there isn't an overnight come to Jesus realization with Auburn just yet.

It's a chicken or the egg thing. IMO, Boyd and Plowman were able to go out and get White in the first place because our booster factions weren't really in a position to dictate terms. Both factions were coming off spectacular failures and didn't really have the influence necessary to control the process. In contrast, if you have one booster who just runs everything like Auburn apparently does, I don't know how you get that guy to butt out.

Hopefully Auburn has to wonder through the desert for 15 years like we did before they get it figured out!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The more I think about it the more I like Kiffin at Auburn. I don’t think he could ever bring them to the promise land but could be a constant thorn in the side to the Bammers and Saban.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back