Team News (current roster)

He's 7'1 265 yet plays half his size. He's not good. If you're only role is to push around the other team then you're not a good basketball player. This isn't the 80's anymore.

His role will CONTINUE to be defined by our coaches. If the keeps getting minutes, you can bet it is because he is fulfilling that DEFINED role. Free lancing to enhance personal stats to meet his or others standards would not be welcomed. Having faith in his OWN ability to define his own truth will be counterproductive for the program just like it is for posters. Posters can just keep forcing their way into "PLAYING TIME", players not so much. Napolean complexes have a shorter lifespan on the court.

His role will CONTINUE to be defined by our coaches. If the keeps getting minutes, you can bet it is because he is fulfilling that DEFINED role. Free lancing to enhance personal stats to meet his or others standards would not be welcomed. Having faith in his OWN ability to define his own truth will be counterproductive for the program just like it is for posters. Posters can just keep forcing their way into "PLAYING TIME", players not so much. Napolean complexes have a shorter lifespan on the court.
Ok

Jahmai Mashack is a more well-rounded player
Jahmai Mashack got a handful of minutes as a defense-only player as a freshman. His jumper looks completely different entering his sophomore season. That bodes well for the guard to be a more consistent role player for Tennessee after playing sparingly. He has stood out in practices of late for his offensive game. Credit to Mashack for that work as he clearly spent time remaking his jumper with Barnes this offseason.
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...now-early-in-preseason-practices/69523645007/

Jahmai Mashack is a more well-rounded player
Jahmai Mashack got a handful of minutes as a defense-only player as a freshman. His jumper looks completely different entering his sophomore season. That bodes well for the guard to be a more consistent role player for Tennessee after playing sparingly. He has stood out in practices of late for his offensive game. Credit to Mashack for that work as he clearly spent time remaking his jumper with Barnes this offseason.
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...now-early-in-preseason-practices/69523645007/
Even if we play a lot of small ball with JJJ at the 4, I’m not sure where he gets his minutes. But sounds like he could break out next year.

Last edited:
Unless we play a lot of small ball with JJJ at the 4, I’m not sure where he gets his minutes. But sounds like he could break out next year.
They’ve toyed quite a bit with 5 guard lineup looks, how much Barnes actually uses it is TBD but it gets a guy like Mashack more minutes. The staff likes Edwards & Mashack, there’s strong belief that Zeigler, Key, Edwards, Mashack, Santi, JJJ and Phillips are 7 of your best 8, buy finding minutes for all of them will be tricky unless you play a lot of small ball.

Barnes has already looked at some line-ups which essentially include five guards. Those line-ups would include Josiah James and Julian Phillips on the floor to give the Vols a couple of guys who are essentially perimeter players but who have the kind of length that can let you get away with going small. Another player in that same mold is Jahmai Mashack. The sophomore has improved his shot somewhat, though he’s still not a lights out shooter. Bu with the way he’s able to defend four positions and rebound the basketball for a guard it’s going to be hard to keep him out of the rotation.

vq

Mashack is an athlete. Once he develops, he's going to be special.

Don't think I have seen a UT player of of his gym ethic in ball besides Admiral?

If Barnes could get Powell and Victor Bailey a combined 25 minutes a game... I fully believe he can give Mashack some solid minutes this year. Powell and Bailey were absolute liabilties on defense last year and offense were pretty much liabilities too. This might come off as hating... but Bailey might have been the most frustrating Vol to watch. Every time he chucked up a shot, I would yell out "Nooo" because I knew it wasn't about to go in. Like Renaldo Woolridge level frustration when he would shoot the ball lmao.

If Barnes could get Powell and Victor Bailey a combined 25 minutes a game... I fully believe he can give Mashack some solid minutes this year. Powell and Bailey were absolute liabilties on defense last year and offense were pretty much liabilities too. This might come off as hating... but Bailey might have been the most frustrating Vol to watch. Every time he chucked up a shot, I would yell out "Nooo" because I knew it wasn't about to go in. Like Renaldo Woolridge level frustration when he would shoot the ball lmao.
Different rosters and different needs. We have talented, all around players at the 2-4 in excess. When Powel and Bailey played, we needed someone to help fill some minutes and fill a 3 point shooter role. If Mashack plays much this year it will be because Barnes got creative with small ball rosters.

Reactions: walkenvol

Hating on Swiper Boy is not allowed. ‘Don’t leave me like Kiffen’….. :)

Come conference play they were under 20mpg combined, and that roster didn’t have Key, Phillips or Edwards on it. Even playing majority small ball they’d likely struggle to find 25mpg for Mashack. I think he and Edwards both can find a 10-15mpg role, now maybe they prefer 1 of those and 1 guy plays full 20-30mpg, but I think those 2 guys play a consistent role off the bench.

Come conference play they were under 20mpg combined, and that roster didn’t have Key, Phillips or Edwards on it. Even playing majority small ball they’d likely struggle to find 25mpg for Mashack. I think he and Edwards both can find a 10-15mpg role, now maybe they prefer 1 of those and 1 guy plays full 20-30mpg, but I think those 2 guys play a consistent role off the bench.
I'm thinking more like 15 mpg for him not 25.

Assuming we go small a little more than half of the time…

Zeigler 30/Key 10
Santi 15/Key 15/Edwards 10
Phillips 15/Santi 15/Mashack 10
JJJ 20/Phillips 12/Nkahmoua 8
Nkahmoua 20/JJJ 10/Aidoo 10

Reactions: berryvol
Definitely possible, will require almost exclusively playing small ball (no Uros/Aidoo) and Edwards not playing much
I'm cool with that. I'm not a fan of Uros. Aidoo will be good in his 3rd/4th year but still not completely ready yet for huge minutes imo.

"Small ball" with...

ZZ
Santi
Key
Phillips
JJJ

Seems like the lineup that I'd want in the final minutes in a close game.

Reactions: Ryno14

I remember when Bailey was "the best kept secret in college basketball"

he sucked

I'm cool with that. I'm not a fan of Uros. Aidoo will be good in his 3rd/4th year but still not completely ready yet for huge minutes imo.

"Small ball" with...

ZZ
Santi
Key
Phillips
JJJ

Seems like the lineup that I'd want in the final minutes in a close game.
TBD imo, if it’s a close game and the opponent has a good big man not sure that’s what I want.

So Uros gets locked out, you think?
No, I was replying to the idea of getting Mashack minutes and going small primarily…not sure I totally buy Barnes committing to that. My best guess as of today is this is the average mpg you’d see, game to game will vary, small vs. big with matchups etc.

Zeigler 30/Key 10
Santi 30/Key 10
Phillips 28/Mashack 12
JJJ 30/Nkahmoua 10
Nkahmoua 18/Aidoo 12/Plav 10

I think Edwards plays as the 10th man but it will vary game to game and who’s in foul trouble as to who slides around.

I hate to judge off of one shot, but I’m in I’ll believe it when I see it mode with Mashack. There was one shot he took in a practice film that barely grazed rim. A very flat looking shot.

VN Store

Back