Fall Practice Has Begun

Lots of competition all around the field. Heard from several who have been there that they believe maybe only 1 or 2 have earned a guaranteed spot but even in those positions there is great competition for all positions. Many believe like I do that next year we may play close to 15 fielders in a weekend early in the season. So much competition for spots.

If there's 15 guys competing that means some of the freshman must be standing out. My best guess for opening day lineup is:
C Dickey
3B Denton
SS Ahuna
2B Moore
1B Burke
LF/RF Merritt
CF Booker
RF/LF Backus
DH Chambers

Reactions: 3-2Count
If there's 15 guys competing that means some of the freshman must be standing out. My best guess for opening day lineup is:
C Dickey
3B Denton
SS Ahuna
2B Moore
1B Burke
LF/RF Merritt
CF Booker
RF/LF Backus
DH Chambers

I’m pulling for Scott to make the lineup. Very underrated player. But he’s been in the system, has speed, reliable in the field, and doesn’t strikeout much.

Lots of competition all around the field. Heard from several who have been there that they believe maybe only 1 or 2 have earned a guaranteed spot but even in those positions there is great competition for all positions. Many believe like I do that next year we may play close to 15 fielders in a weekend early in the season. So much competition for spots.
My guess catcher, 2nd, 1st, all 3 outfield positions, and DH is considered open competition.

Reactions: 3-2Count
I would guess that unless Denton and Ahuna have miserable fall practice sessions, they are probably locked in at 3B and SS. You don’t bring them in just to sit them on the bench, and I don’t think Denton leaves Alabama unless he feels comfortable the starting job is his.

I don’t think either of them would have awful falls anyway. They’re too good for that.

I would guess that unless Denton and Ahuna have miserable fall practice sessions, they are probably locked in at 3B and SS. You don’t bring them in just to sit them on the bench, and I don’t think Denton leaves Alabama unless he feels comfortable the starting job is his.

I don’t think either of them would have awful falls anyway. They’re too good for that.

Agree. But I'd also make them compete and tell them that they have to earn it. Makes them and those competing with them better.

VN Store

Back