Always the same with LSU fans

Football was played prior to 1980. May want to research a bit more. Had some great teams in the 50’s and 60’s including a national championship in 1958. They had some terrible years mixed in with some good/great years in the 80’s.They have a fairly rich history overall.
We live in a world where teams usually have different coaches within 5 years, and it’s unusual to see coach pushing 10 years with the same program. And the very players themselves were born around 2005.
So all the glory years, ext don’t mean much to anyone who didn’t live thru them. I’ve been a fan of UT since 06-07ish, and I’ve never witnessed them dominant. I don’t care what LSU or TN did in the 50s,60s,70s, and 80s. To be honest if then beginning number of the year starts with 1, it certainly doesn’t matter in the current environment. Honestly, what good has the 1998 Championship done for UT currently? If you haven’t won recently, it doesn’t matter, unless you lived thru it and cheered it on. I was alive then, but was 13 and could care less at the time.

They can’t stand that there’s a new flashy elite baseball program on the block. Tony is the man behind it so of course they hate him. It’s the same for our football program. They and other opposing fanbases are used to us being the SEC punching bag for so long, but they see the turnaround and can’t stomach it. Add to the fact that people just generally hate TN more than they do other programs. I’ll probably never really understand why, after all I’m a Vol fan, but it’s just what it is. Arkansas fans are rather obsessed with TN too if you haven’t noticed lol.
This is Tennessee, not L.S.Who...

Attachments

• Vols to Omaha 13June2021.jpg
    Vols to Omaha 13June2021.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Proud Army Wife
In the last couple weeks I’ve spent some time on Tiger Droppings (incredibly uninspired name for a forum) and I’ve noticed a common trend. They constantly bring up two things:
Our baseball team and Tony V in particular
Our lack of relevance over the last 20 years (specifically 20 years, every time) compared to theirs.
What did tony do to get their panties in such a bunch? What is their obsession with “the last 20 years” of our respective football teams? The whole thing is strange, I’ve never seen two topics brought up so many times by an opposing team who’s not even a rival of ours. Anyone have any thought or insights?

Well, you know, it's their forum. If they like poking around in their cat's litter box to catch sight of or sniff what we all know is in it, then....

Reactions: VolFanatic27
I am simply saying that they had 20 ruff years, prior to the 20 years they reference. So I doubt they want to brag much about it. If they only reference the period of 2000- present, then they are a much better program than ut.
If you start with last year, and do a cumulative winning percentage back further in time (I went back to 1960), the ONLY time we have a better winning percentage is when you only include one year 2021. For every other time period (e.g. 1998 - 2021, 1972 - 2021, 1963 - 2021, etc.) their cumulative winning percentage is better than ours.

If you exclude the post Fulmer times, then there are plenty of 10 or 20 year periods (1960 forward) where we were better than them.

The problem is with the most recent 5 year seasons (2017 - 2021). LSU went 45-19 while the Vols were 27-33.

They were terrible at football before Saban, and he took the LSU job in 2000, so their history is only 22 yrs old. They wanted to hire Vitello in 2021 when their coach retired, and he had no interest in leaving the vols.
Had a National title before Saban in 1958. Definitely have been better since Saban though winning 3 since then with 3 different coaches.

If you start with last year, and do a cumulative winning percentage back further in time (I went back to 1960), the ONLY time we have a better winning percentage is when you only include one year 2021. For every other time period (e.g. 1998 - 2021, 1972 - 2021, 1963 - 2021, etc.) their cumulative winning percentage is better than ours.

If you exclude the post Fulmer times, then there are plenty of 10 or 20 year periods (1960 forward) where we were better than them.

The problem is with the most recent 5 year seasons (2017 - 2021). LSU went 45-19 while the Vols were 27-33.
Vols have a 20-10 advantage over LSU. More wins overall. Higher winning percentage. Etc etc. We have been bad since we fired Fulmer so when all your comparisons include from 08 to 21 it hurts comparison but if you did 1980 to 2000 etc it would be a different story.

Vols have a 20-10 advantage over LSU. More wins overall. Higher winning percentage. Etc etc. We have been bad since we fired Fulmer so when all your comparisons include from 08 to 21 it hurts comparison but if you did 1980 to 2000 etc it would be a different story.
I agree and said that very thing in my post about periods before Fulmer left. I can understand comparing teams for different numbers of years, but selectively excluding the most recent (and most relevant) years to make our program look better than LSU doesn't seem honest.

The fact remains that you can pick any number of years starting with 2021, and go back at least until 1960 (62 seasons), and every single time period will show LSU with a higher winning percentage than our Vols except for the single year period of 2021.

In the last couple weeks I’ve spent some time on Tiger Droppings (incredibly uninspired name for a forum) and I’ve noticed a common trend. They constantly bring up two things:
Our lack of relevance over the last 20 years (specifically 20 years, every time) compared to theirs.
What did tony do to get their panties in such a bunch? What is their obsession with “the last 20 years” of our respective football teams? The whole thing is strange, I’ve never seen two topics brought up so many times by an opposing team who’s not even a rival of ours. Anyone have any thought or insights?
One, they don't know the game very well and can't discuss it intelligently.
Two, they don't have better arguments for why LSU should win. They're insecure or unhappy about their own team but don't want to come right out and say it.

I have been communicating with a UK fan who thinks UT's turmoil and coaching turnover is fair game... until I point out UT's record vs UK during that time. Then he asks why I want to talk about the past so much. So essentially... you have folks trying to avoid something that scares them. They don't believe their team is better or will win.

Because that they know it seems to rattle some Vol fans

I agree and said that very thing in my post about periods before Fulmer left. I can understand comparing teams for different numbers of years, but selectively excluding the most recent (and most relevant) years to make our program look better than LSU doesn't seem honest.

The fact remains that you can pick any number of years starting with 2021, and go back at least until 1960 (62 seasons), and every single time period will show LSU with a higher winning percentage than our Vols except for the single year period of 2021.

I believe LSU had six straight losing seasons during the late 80s- early 90s.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
They were terrible at football before Saban, and he took the LSU job in 2000, so their history is only 22 yrs old. They wanted to hire Vitello in 2021 when their coach retired, and he had no interest in leaving the vols.
This. If Saban was never there they would never have had the "glory days" of the last 22 years.

I understand. I don’t get it either. Other fans hate us with a passion. I don’t know why really. They just do.
Wonder if it may have something to do with Fulmer ratting out Alabama over the Albert Means recruiting. I get it that it didn't involve LSU, but for a coach ratting on a program when it was probably happening here as well, kinda like the pot calling the kettle...well, you know. Just my crazy thoughts again.

They thought TV would be their next coach, then he wasn't. Also, I think we swept them this year.
It was more than that, we knocked them out two years ago by sending their then baseball coach (Paul Mainieri) into retirement from Knoxville instead of in Baton Rouge.

It was glorius.

So to your point, they're jealous of CTV and did want him until we extended his contract and upped his salary. They hate us cause they ain't us.

In the last couple weeks I’ve spent some time on Tiger Droppings

Why? You know you're not getting those minutes of your life back, right? They're gone forever.

Our lack of relevance over the last 20 years

Have you met our fans?

Our win over Florida was instantly met with a dozen duplicate threads on "but the De-Fenz" and "that one play though"

Football was played prior to 1980. May want to research a bit more. Had some great teams in the 50’s and 60’s including a national championship in 1958. They had some terrible years mixed in with some good/great years in the 80’s.They have a fairly rich history overall.
Wow you must be a cowboys and notre dame fan too

You're not wrong but not a damn one of those alligator humping, backward Cajun f@#$KS are referring to the 50s when they boast about their team.
Their "history" is 20 years and that's what is being referred to

Why? You know you're not getting those minutes of your life back, right? They're gone forever.

Have you met our fans?

Our win over Florida was instantly met with a dozen duplicate threads on "but the De-Fenz" and "that one play though"
It’s entertaining, and I’m always interested to see what an opposing team‘s fans think of us. I agree we have some fans who always think the sky is falling. Hopefully we play a solid game in BR and give the corn dogs one more reason to hate us.

I’d offer TigerDroppings has the same ignorant types as we see on here from time to time. Whatever bug is up their you know what they will rant about then move on.

I work with some LSU guys and they are worried about this game. They are rationale guys and one thinks we will blow them out and the others think it will be tough for Tenn to win at their house. They caveat that if our O gets rolling their offense won’t keep up.

They never mention baseball or anything other than the game. In other words, the guys ranting over there are likely doing it about everything. Who cares?

Reactions: VolFanatic27
As the saying goes...the wind blows hardest at the top. With our success will come having a bullseye on our backs. We'll get everyone's best shot. The question will be....can we hold up under the pressure? We're gonna find out soon enough.

We live in a world where teams usually have different coaches within 5 years, and it’s unusual to see coach pushing 10 years with the same program. And the very players themselves were born around 2005.
So all the glory years, ext don’t mean much to anyone who didn’t live thru them. I’ve been a fan of UT since 06-07ish, and I’ve never witnessed them dominant. I don’t care what LSU or TN did in the 50s,60s,70s, and 80s. To be honest if then beginning number of the year starts with 1, it certainly doesn’t matter in the current environment. Honestly, what good has the 1998 Championship done for UT currently? If you haven’t won recently, it doesn’t matter, unless you lived thru it and cheered it on. I was alive then, but was 13 and could care less at the time.
That wasn’t my point… he said their history was 22 years and before that they were terrible. That’s simply not true and that’s what I was responding to.

VN Store

Back