Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

Pannell and Puni with two HR. Pickens had a nice night, Tech put the ball in play but nothing solid. Ashley pitched two innings, no problem. Simpson
threw well in her block. We have depth but not sure we have next person up depth. Mesusan is someone to watch getting time or potential starter as she creates havoc. I don’t see Keene cracking the DP role just not bringing her size and power to the plate. I liked Kirkpatrick behind the plate, strong arm didn’t see anything at the plate that says she’ll play. Does Lair stay? Something to monitor I’m told.
As far a the pitching I am not too concerned with the "next person up" depth. I feel like if everyone behind Ashley can just be steady and consistent throughout the year we'll be in a good spot because we could throw anyone in game 2 and game 3 in a series. That was our problem last year. When Ashley was hurt and EE was laboring we didn't have depth that was consistent to be competitive in games. I hope the Keene starts to pick it up because she has a lot of potential I think. As far as Lair that is surprising to hear and definitely sad if it's true.

As far a the pitching I am not too concerned with the "next person up" depth. I feel like if everyone behind Ashley can just be steady and consistent throughout the year we'll be in a good spot because we could throw anyone in game 2 and game 3 in a series. That was our problem last year. When Ashley was hurt and EE was laboring we didn't have depth that was consistent to be competitive in games. I hope the Keene starts to pick it up because she has a lot of potential I think. As far as Lair that is surprising to hear and definitely sad if it's true.
pitching is fine with quality and numbers. It’s depth elsewhere as far as next one up.

Pannell and Puni with two HR. Pickens had a nice night, Tech put the ball in play but nothing solid. Ashley pitched two innings, no problem. Simpson
threw well in her block. We have depth but not sure we have next person up depth. Mesusan is someone to watch getting time or potential starter as she creates havoc. I don’t see Keene cracking the DP role just not bringing her size and power to the plate. I liked Kirkpatrick behind the plate, strong arm didn’t see anything at the plate that says she’ll play. Does Lair stay? Something to monitor I’m told.
With Lair is it because of her injury or does it not seem she will get time even when healthy?

Reactions: Majors
With Lair is it because of her injury or does it not seem she will get time even when healthy?
More with Donihoo being SS and her slated for OF. Just something to monitor after fall season/semester as she won’t be cleared to play for a few more months.

Reactions: William_77
Interesting. Will definitely be something to watch. I liked her in the OF the few times I saw her play last year. Had a nice catch in the Georgia series.

For the most part, I liked what I saw last night. I think Payton and Karlyn with an improved Ryleigh and Nicola gives us some nice arms behind a hopefully healthy Ashley. We’ll see where Charli fits. I think the Zaida-Mackenzie-Taylor-McKenna IF is solid. My concern is the hitting of the corner OFers. Giulia is a nice pickup but while she batted .290 overall last year, I checked AZ stats and she only hit .109 vs PAC-12. I’m thinking a possible move could be Rylie back to RF if one of our other girls could C. Destiny has the bat just don’t know about her defensively? I hate to hear that about Lair because a Lair-Kiki-Rylie OF has some pop. Of course she can’t play anyway right now so unless Karen has announced Mackenzie is definitely the SS I would think that could be an open competition in the spring. There’s 2 girls and 2 positions SS and LF. Brylee is super quick and one to watch. To be competitive in the SEC we need 9 hitters and not give up a couple of outs each time through the lineup. If Gracie could start bashing that strengthens us. Really want to see us against Duke next Sunday then take stock. Anyone with corner OF thoughts?

For the most part, I liked what I saw last night. I think Payton and Karlyn with an improved Ryleigh and Nicola gives us some nice arms behind a hopefully healthy Ashley. We’ll see where Charli fits. I think the Zaida-Mackenzie-Taylor-McKenna IF is solid. My concern is the hitting of the corner OFers. Giulia is a nice pickup but while she batted .290 overall last year, I checked AZ stats and she only hit .109 vs PAC-12. I’m thinking a possible move could be Rylie back to RF if one of our other girls could C. Destiny has the bat just don’t know about her defensively? I hate to hear that about Lair because a Lair-Kiki-Rylie OF has some pop. Of course she can’t play anyway right now so unless Karen has announced Mackenzie is definitely the SS I would think that could be an open competition in the spring. There’s 2 girls and 2 positions SS and LF. Brylee is super quick and one to watch. To be competitive in the SEC we need 9 hitters and not give up a couple of outs each time through the lineup. If Gracie could start bashing that strengthens us. Really want to see us against Duke next Sunday then take stock. Anyone with corner OF thoughts?
I like Rylie behind the plate, just because she will be our most experienced player at that position. I believe Giulia's low numbers was because she never really had a consistent role in the lineup. I am too hopeful that Gracie can pick it up because if we have her we another bat with lots of pop.

I think Rylie may have to stay behind the plate as well. Too important a position. If Lair is in the mix we’ll be fine because her and Mackenzie can play LF and SS and that would just leave one OF spot up for grabs. Shoulders scare me though. Also, kids want to play where they want to play. Case in point being Ivy Davis. Was starting at AZ but wanted to play SS. I don’t have any idea how badly that means to Lair??

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12

I’d strongly dispute that last sentence.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

If you don't have 3 pitchers who can pitch then your behind the 8 ball. Until UT realizes that they'll continue to fade

Believe we have weekend rotation Ashley, Peyton and Pickens.

Midweek- Pickens, Simpson and Charli. Pickens needs to eat up as much as she can during those games.
Where do you see White contributing? Does she look better than last year? During the latter half of the season she showed flashes of being really good for us, not the strikeout, but definitely got some quality starts out of her

Where do you see White contributing? Does she look better than last year? During the latter half of the season she showed flashes of being really good for us, not the strikeout, but definitely got some quality starts out of her
Good problem to have, totally forgot about her. In the weekend/midweek role. Her and Pickens are almost mirror.

She stayed in town this summer and worked. Expect to see a different kid.

Last edited:
If she pitches like she did near seasons end she will help on weekends as well as midweek. As i stated before best looking pitching staff in many years from top to bottom!
Good problem to have, totally forgot about her. In the weekend/midweek role. Her and Pickens are almost mirror.

She stayed in town this summer and worked. Expect to see a different kid.

If you don't have 3 pitchers who can pitch then your behind the 8 ball. Until UT realizes that they'll continue to fade

Exactly. We've struggled mightily to have even two dependable pitchers for the last several years--it's been one of our main problems. Even when we've had two, one of them gets injured.

I see the Duke game has been moved to Saturday at 3:30. Duke has beaten UNC(5-2) and App State(8-1) this fall, using 5 pitchers. Their games against East Carolina and Charlotte were canceled this past weekend due to weather. It will be interesting to see how each coach plays it as this will be the fall barometer for each. I’m thinking this one might be play to win through 7 with few subs. Interested to see who starts for us.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
I see the Duke game has been moved to Saturday at 3:30. Duke has beaten UNC(5-2) and App State(8-1) this fall, using 5 pitchers. Their games against East Carolina and Charlotte were canceled this past weekend due to weather. It will be interesting to see how each coach plays it as this will be the fall barometer for each. I’m thinking this one might be play to win through 7 with few subs. Interested to see who starts for us.
Are we still playing Lakeland at 1 pm Saturday or has that game been cancelled? If not, we will be playing a doubleheader; may not be smart against a team like Duke. We need to be rested when playing them.

Thought it was interesting after talking about her the other day.
I'm pretty sure she would kick my butt. She's very fit and apparently has worked very hard to be in such great shape. I really hope she ends up all VOL

VN Store

Back