That 0-9 Rule

Everyone should slow down. Let's see how we do against the coonasses in LA FIRST! LSU is definitely beatable, so how we perform on the road in the SEC will tell me more than beating an average UF team. Beat LSU and we have a REAL shot at 10-2. THAT would be amazing in year 2!!!!! I really hope we keep our focus on LSU and no one else!

Reactions: miket4god
Haven’t y’all heard of Cinderella ??? I choose to believe my team is the best and anything COULD happen. Let’s ENJOY the ride and HOPE for the best!! IF - big IF here, if we can get a lead and a couple of timely stops and turnovers … YES we can win these games. We can also go 8-4 just the same way.
If Kentucky won the NCAA tournament this year they would not be a Cinderella. They would be a team that won it all after recently being terrible. Likewise, Tennessee football cannot be a Cinderella.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
It has been said that a new hire that goes 0-9 their first 3 years versus Florida, Georgia and Alabama should be dismissed. Heupel has, early in year 2, shattered this rule with Saturday's defeat of Florida. I think that this team has a realistic chance of beating Georgia or Alabama this year as well.
Bama--maybe with their weakened secondary and at home

UGA--We need to give it a couple years for the Defense to catch up with the offense.

Realistic,I think we lose to Bama,Georiga and could lose to Kentucky if not a drastic turnaround in the defensive backfield!I really do believe we beat Kentucky though!

I don’t necessarily see us beating Bama or the Dawgs this year….however, as I said when Heupel was hired, he has brought an offense that will keep us in most games. We are not a complete team yet, but when you push a game into a shoot-out in the 4th quarter strange things can happen. You see it every week. Sometimes the more talented team, the favored team, make mistakes when they are unexpectedly in a close game. Win or lose, I fully expect those two teams to be glad the game is over when the clock hits 0:00. If it does happen great, but if it doesn’t they both know it’s coming sooner than later.

Reactions: GordonC
It has been said that a new hire that goes 0-9 their first 3 years versus Florida, Georgia and Alabama should be dismissed. Heupel has, early in year 2, shattered this rule with Saturday's defeat of Florida. I think that this team has a realistic chance of beating Georgia or Alabama this year as well.
We have a shot at Alabama with a home field. However, if you have watched the UGA passing game at all this year, they will tear our secondary apart (and that's okay). This is year 2!

We have a punchers chance of outscoring anyone we play that falls into the more talented than us category. The following teams on our schedule are more talented, to much more talented than us. Florida, LSU, Alabama and Georgia. We outscored one already. Have another shot to do it again next week but on the road will be tough. I'm honestly surprised we're favored. I expected to be a 3-5 point underdog to LSU. They have top 8 roster and a veteran, proven coach with a 1 point loss to a currently unbeaten top 25 team. Florida State and Auburn are just ahead of us in the talent composite. Curious to see how Auburn does against them. By all rights it should be LSU cow-killing them since Auburn is to say the least, not getting results from the talent they have. South Carolina is one spot behind us and aren't doing well either. Heupel is showing currently the difference coaching makes.

Reactions: BanditVol
Heupel has done a great job, and looks like he will be at UT for a long time. This is a good thing. The SEC needs for UT to be good. However, UT is 128th in pass defense, giving up 309 yards/game. It will be tough to beat UGA and the Gumps, unless you can score high 40s.

We can beat ole noodle-arm Bennet any day

Unfortunately he has NFL talent on the line and at WR to make him look good

I think our offense will allow us to put up points against anyone. Offense is basically on autopilot.

HOWEVER, our defense will have to do better than 50% 3rd conversion rates vs Bama and Georgia for us to have a chance. Without Turnovers, I don’t think our defense can go toe to toe with Bama and Georgia in forcing offenses off the field
You haven't played anyone with a solid defense yet. You're making all of these predictions and assumptions based on playing 4 not so good defenses and two of those teams put up a ton of offense against you. You also barely beat Pitt and Florida and now all of a sudden you can beat Georgia and Alabama? Pitt lost their starting quarterback and was playing with a back up quarterback with one leg and Florida is in a rebuilding year with a first year coach so you called them in a totally off here which was a good time to catch them. I'm not sure how that equates to becoming equal to Georgia and Alabama. I think the real test will come against LSU and Kentucky. I don't give Tennessee a chance whatsoever against Alabama. Georgia and Alabama are years ahead of Tennessee with regard to top five recruiting classes and they have solid offenses and defenses. Any team can sneak up on another one on any given Saturday but weekend and week out Tennessee does not have the depth to compete with Alabama for instance.

Except that you haven't and old noodle arm is tearing it up by the way. He just won a national championship and look at the numbers he put up and the quarterback rating he has put up in last year's playoff and the first four games of this year. Put him down all you want but that noodle arm it's going to make your pay in November

Not beating the gumps or dawgs. Get real.
No one is making a strong prediction that we will, just saying it's not unreasonable to say a big upset could happen.

It's certainly more reasonable than under Pruitt, Jones, Doofus or Kiffin!

You haven't played anyone with a solid defense yet. You're making all of these predictions and assumptions based on playing 4 not so good defenses and two of those teams put up a ton of offense against you. You also barely beat Pitt and Florida and now all of a sudden you can beat Georgia and Alabama? Pitt lost their starting quarterback and was playing with a back up quarterback with one leg and Florida is in a rebuilding year with a first year coach so you called them in a totally off here which was a good time to catch them. I'm not sure how that equates to becoming equal to Georgia and Alabama. I think the real test will come against LSU and Kentucky. I don't give Tennessee a chance whatsoever against Alabama. Georgia and Alabama are years ahead of Tennessee with regard to top five recruiting classes and they have solid offenses and defenses. Any team can sneak up on another one on any given Saturday but weekend and week out Tennessee does not have the depth to compete with Alabama for instance.

Pitt didn't "lose" their starting quarterback. We knocked him out. There's a difference. LSU is more talented than us and probably should be slight favorites.

We will score 50 on Kentucky. They aren't great on either side of the ball so far this year.

Except that you haven't and old noodle arm is tearing it up by the way. He just won a national championship and look at the numbers he put up and the quarterback rating he has put up in last year's playoff and the first four games of this year. Put him down all you want but that noodle arm it's going to make your pay in November

Just a lucky guy surrounded by future NFL players. But good for him, I never envy lottery winners. :p

Some are blinded by hope and just don't see what is actually happening on the field. We barely beat Pitt who played half the game with an injured second string QB who was missing two starting OLs and a rebuilding Florida team.

People point to our offense, but have played the previously mentioned rebounding Florida team, Akron, Ball St. and Pitt who does not bolster a Georgia, Bama or LSU defense. Two of those teams are almost in their own league on both sides of the ball. Funny thing to consider when it comes to our offense is while it is good, we got to #3 in the country playing against those same teams.

It baffles me when we seldomly get to 4-0 people start thinking we can win it all 😂. Hope? Well heck I hope too, but these aren't realistic expectations.

10-2 with a potential bowl dub is our absolute ceiling this year IMO. 8-4 with a bowl dub is a very successful season for where we are at in the rebuilding process.

9-3 regular season, win or lose in a bowl game is a huge improvement from last year, especially if we get to 10-3. I think that alone constitutes COY for Heupel.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdawgs
Heupel has done a great job, and looks like he will be at UT for a long time. This is a good thing. The SEC needs for UT to be good. However, UT is 128th in pass defense, giving up 309 yards/game. It will be tough to beat UGA and the Gumps, unless you can score high 40s.

Guys, Tennessee will never be among the tops in pass defense, even with 4 All Americans back there because 1) good teams will throw to ball cause the know they have to score points in order to win and 2) bad teams will be behind quickly and be throwing the ball early. College Stats, this early particulary, are more about how & who you play

IMO, Hooker is the best QB in the SEC. That was not the point of my post. The point was, given your defense, you will have score a lot. Ole noodle are may not be any good, but he is light years better then Anthony Richardson, who torched your D.

i love how it’s always “the starting qb was out” like it was some mystical force that kept him from playing and not a relentless assault from the Tennessee defense.

People diss Stetson Bennett purely because he used to be a walk on. It has no other basis in reality. He is better than 95% of the other quarterbacks in CFB.

VN Store

Back