Our notorious 2nd down play calling

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Correct me if I’m wrong but 2nd down seems to be the biggest wasted down play calling ever. I seem to recall numerous running calls up a stacked middle resulting in losses. The Vols and Titans kind of mimic one another with this down. What gives?

Correct me if I’m wrong but 2nd down seems to be the biggest wasted down play calling ever. I seem to recall numerous running calls up a stacked middle resulting in losses. The Vols and Titans kind of mimic one another with this down. What gives?
My wife asked me why I watch UT football cause I always seem miserable when I’m watching. I had to think about that and try to enjoy the Vols making good plays like I do when I watch teams I don’t care about. It’s hard, but it’s been more fun watching them.
You seem so much more negative then I am. Do you get any enjoyment out of watching the Vols?
I think only the most optimistic fans thought we would be 4-0 with wins agains 2 top 25 teams going into this break. if you aren’t happy about the Vols so far, I don’t know what it would take.

Yeah OP needs to bring receipts if he’s going to make this claim about THE BEST OFFENSE IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

It would be a cool stat if we were avg 18yds/play on 1st, 3rd, and 4th down, but only 2.7 on 2nd down. BUT I don't think that's the case. I have noticed and can backup that CJH has cured our 2nd quarter woes on offense.
1664392850796.png

LONG POST -
2nd down plays in Florida game
I count 23 plays actually run on 2nd down and at least 14 of them either being first down conversions, touchdowns, or successful plays to set up 3rd and short.
1st drive - ended in turnover
2nd and 6 - false start
2nd and 11 - Hooker 18 yard run
2 and 10 - false start
2 and 15 - Hooker 12 yard run
2nd drive - ended in FG
2 and 4 - Small 5 yard run
2 and 16 - Pass to Keyton 17 yards
2 and 5 - 2 yard loss
3rd drive - ended in TD
2 and goal - Hooker 4 yard TD run
4th drive - ended in 4th down turnover
2 and 3 - Wright negative 2 yard run
2 and 6 - Wright 2 yard run
5th drive - ended in TD before half
2 and 8 - Small 9 yard run
2 and 10 - Small 0 yard run
2 and 7 - Pass to Keyton for 9
2 and 7 - Hooker 16 yard run
2 and Goal - Inc pass
6th drive - ended in TD
2 and 4 - Small 39 yard run
2 and 10 - Small 3 yard run
2 and 1 - Wright 2 yard run
2 and goal - touchdown called back due to penalty
2 and goal - Pass to Small 16 yard TD
7th drive - ended in TD
2 and Goal - Small 0 yard run (was probably a TD but called short of the goal)
8th drive - ended in TD
2 and 3 - Inc pass
2 and 4 - Pass to Hyatt 8 yards
2 and G - Wright 5 yard run for touchdown
9th drive - ended in loss of downs (trying to run out clock)
2 and 2 - Small 1 yard run
2 and 5 - Small 1 yard run

LONG POST -
I count 23 plays actually run on 2nd down and at least 14 of them either being first down conversions, touchdowns, or successful plays to set up 3rd and short.

I was looking at the play log too. At halftime we had 7 1st downs and a TD on 2nd down plays. The whole premise of the thread is just wrong.

AncientUntriedApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: dduncan4163
It would be a cool stat if we were avg 18yds/play on 1st, 3rd, and 4th down, but only 2.7 on 2nd down. BUT I don't think that's the case. I have noticed and can backup that CJH has cured our 2nd quarter woes on offense.
View attachment 495345

Interesting graph. Tells me the defense is gassed by the 4th quarter from being on the field for so long

Ridiculous thread. If you’re going to nitpick at least put some effort into it. Most second downs were productive offensive plays.

LONG POST -
1st drive - ended in turnover
2nd and 6 - false start
2nd and 11 - Hooker 18 yard run
2 and 10 - false start
2 and 15 - Hooker 12 yard run
2nd drive - ended in FG
2 and 4 - Small 5 yard run
2 and 16 - Pass to Keyton 17 yards
2 and 5 - 2 yard loss
3rd drive - ended in TD
2 and goal - Hooker 4 yard TD run
4th drive - ended in 4th down turnover
2 and 3 - Wright negative 2 yard run
2 and 6 - Wright 2 yard run
5th drive - ended in TD before half
2 and 8 - Small 9 yard run
2 and 10 - Small 0 yard run
2 and 7 - Pass to Keyton for 9
2 and 7 - Hooker 16 yard run
2 and Goal - Inc pass
6th drive - ended in TD
2 and 4 - Small 39 yard run
2 and 10 - Small 3 yard run
2 and 1 - Wright 2 yard run
2 and goal - touchdown called back due to penalty
2 and goal - Pass to Small 16 yard TD
7th drive - ended in TD
2 and Goal - Small 0 yard run (was probably a TD but called short of the goal)
8th drive - ended in TD
2 and 3 - Inc pass
2 and 4 - Pass to Hyatt 8 yards
2 and G - Wright 5 yard run for touchdown
9th drive - ended in loss of downs (trying to run out clock)
2 and 2 - Small 1 yard run
2 and 5 - Small 1 yard run

Hey! Who do you think are you bringing facts into a feelings thread?!

Making stuff up just to have something to complain about 😆!

If you're gonna complain about something make sure it's real and not some fantasy you've concocted in your head. . . 😆

Reactions: OrangeBloodinTN
Up the middle run has a better chance for a positive gain. Sets up 3rd and shorts. Also, the wide spread on the wide receivers puts less defensive players in the box. UCF had a lot of success with running up the middle. I wish we still had Tiyon Evans.

I was wondering why the lineman didn't set with the backs when they come off the field.

I think this is pretty accurate - need a little more imagination on second down, for whatever reason - but I noticed Florida was doing the same thing.

VN Store

Back