Week 5: Kentucky vs. Ole Miss

I would like every team we play to be 11-1 at the end of the year. I would like the OOC opponents to win their conferences.

Obviously, Kentucky, UGa, USCe, Mizzou, Florida, and Vandy can't all go 11-1, some of them have to lose to each other. So one of them can go 11-1, the next 10-2, the next 9-3, and so on. Except Vandy. They have to go 3-9 (beating the non-conference cupcakes...gotta at least a LITTLE bit represent the SEC).

So, since we don't play Ole Miss this year, I'd prefer Kentucky to beat them.

But I don't think they will.

Kentucky is not nearly as good as the hype that's been propping them up the past two seasons.

Go Vols!

Reactions: OptimisticFan
UK has Levis and a handful of good young receivers, but their offensive line is suspect. In three cupcake games (Miami OH, Youngstown St, NIU) they’ve given up 13 sacks and only gained 253 rushing yds COMBINED.

Even with Chris Rodriguez returning, I don’t think they will be able to keep pace with competent offenses in SEC play. I predict a hard crash into reality for the cats this weekend.
C Rod is a big boost for them. They will eat up a lot of clock running it.

C Rod is a big boost for them. They will eat up a lot of clock running it.

He’s probably one of the most talented backs in the SEC, but he’ll be running behind a much different line this time around. Their OL has been a strength for the last few years but through four games they’ve looked more like a liability.

I think Mark Stoops will definitely go to either Auburn or Nebraska

I don’t. I think he understands he can keep doing what he’s doing at Kentucky and be revered. Nebraska is a no-win situation. High expectations without the resources to win big. Auburn is always a shitshow. He’d be crazy to leave Kentucky. They support that program and he’ll keep winning 8+ games, get paid, and retire on his own terms.

He’s probably one of the most talented backs in the SEC, but he’ll be running behind a much different line this time around. Their OL has been a strength for the last few years but through four games they’ve looked more like a liability.
Florida’s DL looked much better against KY than they did against us. That doesn’t necessarily translate to our matchup but it is encouraging

I just don't think Tennessee will lose to Kentucky.

LSU is my biggest concern remaining, other than the big two. Especially with Daniels at QB. Beat LSU and I think Tennessee will go 10-2. That probably gets us a Sugar Bowl bid.
I'm hoping for Orange Bowl against Clemson after a 10-2 regular season

No they won't. Did you see their game last season? When they had Matt Corral at QB?

No...
This isn't the 1990s Kentucky.

Kentucky is one of the best teams in the country. They have their same ground attack, , solid defense and NOW they have Tayvion Robinson and Barrion Brown at WR.

We may still beat them, but that doesn't have anything to do with how they deal with anybody else they play.
I agree they're different than years past, but they struggled with a cupcake at home Saturday. I don't think they can stop ole miss, but we'll see Saturday. I've been wrong before.

Reactions: LittleVol
I just don't think Tennessee will lose to Kentucky.

LSU is my biggest concern remaining, other than the big two. Especially with Daniels at QB. Beat LSU and I think Tennessee will go 10-2. That probably gets us a Sugar Bowl bid.
Timing might play a big role. We’re pretty healthy overall now.
Who knows by the time we play Uk.
Nor do we know how healthy they will be.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Who do we want to win?

If Kentucky wins, that bolsters the East’s resume over the West, and it looks better when we beat Kentucky later in the season. If Ole Miss wins, the loss could take some of the wind out of Kentucky’s sails. At the end of the day, our destiny is firmly in our own hands, but I’m curious which seems the better outcome for our Vols?
As much as I despise Kiffen, I gotta hope he curb stomps the Mildcats...something like 38 - 6.

Reactions: OptimisticFan
Lol. Let’s use your logic shall we? Let’s see Saban was out coached by Jimbo Fisher and Charlie Westherbie. Kirby Smart was out coached by Will Muschamp and Paul Johnson. Dabo got out coached by Pat Narduzzi and Dave Doeren. Urban Meyer for our coached by Jeff Brohm.

Guess all those guys suck as head coaches.
Are they .500 coaches

Ole Miss will blow Kentuckys trailer doors off. Their offensive line is garbage. I think their D is good but this game will get ugly after halftime

Reactions: dduncan4163
I don’t. I think he understands he can keep doing what he’s doing at Kentucky and be revered. Nebraska is a no-win situation. High expectations without the resources to win big. Auburn is always a shitshow. He’d be crazy to leave Kentucky. They support that program and he’ll keep winning 8+ games, get paid, and retire on his own terms.
I agree with you entirely, Greg.

On top of every point you made, the Stoops brothers have been pretty darn loyal to the university that gave them their first head coaching shot. Bob never left Oklahoma except to retire. Mike stayed with Arizona until they fired him. And Mark has been with Kentucky nine years now.

I think he retires there.

Which I also think is great for us. Stoops is a good coach, but he has a ceiling. And it's not high enough to bust out of the cage we've kept the Wildcats in for as long as most of us have lived.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
No they won't. Did you see their game last season? When they had Matt Corral at QB?

No...
This isn't the 1990s Kentucky.

Kentucky is one of the best teams in the country. They have their same ground attack, , solid defense and NOW they have Tayvion Robinson and Barrion Brown at WR.

We may still beat them, but that doesn't have anything to do with how they deal with anybody else they play.

I don’t think their rushing attack will end up anywhere near as good as it has been the last few years. I know they’re getting Rodriguez back but I don’t think the backs have been the problem, the OL has had some surprising struggles against relatively weak opponents.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Who do we want to win?

If Kentucky wins, that bolsters the East’s resume over the West, and it looks better when we beat Kentucky later in the season. If Ole Miss wins, the loss could take some of the wind out of Kentucky’s sails. At the end of the day, our destiny is firmly in our own hands, but I’m curious which seems the better outcome for our Vols?

I'm afraid I lose perspective when it comes to Kiffin. I want him to be beaten like a dog every time out, regardless if it helps or hurts us.

I prefer Kentucky to have zero losses when they face us. It'll make our win look and feel better. Ideally we'd both be unbeaten. It'd be a huge game then.

We could knock off 5 undefeated teams this year... akron, pitt, bama, ky, ga... I wouldn't put money on it, but cool to think about... that said, ky has the better team, ole miss has the better scheme, its really a coin flip.

VN Store

Back