LSU game predictions

I'd like to see the bye week used to get Dylan Sampson up to speed. We don't have a real game-breaker at RB. We saw how slow Small looked on his long run. That play call got him a ton of space and he not only got caught, but he just eased out of bounds on his own. That's the second time he's done that this year. Sampson probably takes that to the house. I'm sure there's a reason he's not in the top 2 (he was inactive against Florida, of course) and I'm sure it has to do with knowing protections. So hopefully, he can get that down over the bye week and he can break out against his homestate school.

The two things I'd most like to see to improve this team over the bye are: 1) get Sampson up to speed and on the field and; 2) get the secondary playing better, be it by player improvement, personnel changes, or both.

Sounds like Tillman is out, but I have confidence in Keyton and I'm sure his confidence will only grow after the game he had Saturday.

Yes to this. I was hoping he would get in there for Florida but thankfully we ended up not needing him. We're going to need him against LSU, Bama and Georgia for sure.

Reactions: overseasorange2
Should be a really good game honestly. LSU's defense is looking a lot better since week 1. Their offense is still not great, mostly because of their offensive line. Daniels is a pretty good QB, not super dynamic throwing the ball, and does like to leave the pocket early pretty often. He's actually their leading rusher, as their ground game has been only a little above average on designed runs. That one will play into our hands as we are very good at stopping the run overall. We held a really good rushing team to just 3.4 ypc. LSU's rushing attack was not nearly as good as Florida's was coming in.

In LSU's win over Mississippi state, they were actually losing going into the 4th quarter, but Mississippi state muffed a punt inside the 10 yard line, and it was over from there. LSU scored a TD is 1:28 left to really put the game out of reach. LSU defense did really limit a strong passing attack from Mississippi state. Florida's secondary was equally as good heading into our game, and that made no difference though. Mississippi state actually had a lot of success running the ball (outside of sack yardage), and they should have gone to it more often. Their top two backs accounted for 100 yards on just 16 attempts (6.25 yards per carry). Our coach is smart enough to exploit that if it is working, and we'll be a little more dynamic with a rushing QB.

While their defense is good, I think they will still struggle to contain our offense. More interested to see what our defense can do. If we can get really good pressure against Daniels, than this one could look pretty good for us. LSU's offensive line has already given up 12 sacks, despite Daniels being dynamic with his legs and very elusive. Against power 5 opponents, we have 5 sacks, and 29 QB hurries. Richardson had only been sacked twice going into our game, we only managed 1 sack, but did have 13 QB hurries which really helped change that game. Secondary still is a cause for concern, but we also have a bye week and they'll have played 6 games in a row.

A Tennessee game at LSU has always been on my bucket list; if it's a night game then it'll be that much better!

I went to a night game there in the early 80's. It was a great atmosphere. LSU was heavily favored, but it ended in a tie. I remember Revez was about to attempt a 50 yard or so field goal. A 13 year old LSU fan sitting in front of me said, "There is no way!", just as Revez split the goal post. I'll never forget the look on that little boy's face.;)

Reactions: volintheham
I went to a night game there in the early 80's. It was a great atmosphere. LSU was heavily favored, but it ended in a tie. I remember Revez was about to attempt a 50 yard or so field goal. A 13 year old LSU fan sitting in front of me said, "There is no way!", just as Revez split the goal post. I'll never forget the look on that little boy's face.;)

That was my first UT game. I was 5 or 6. Coach Majors arranged it so I could meet Willie Gault in the hotel lobby.

Can't brag about a shutout of NMSU. Carson Newman could play NMSU and make a game out of it.

Chris Low announced it on the Nation last niht.
Does he normally get this information and release it before it’s publicly released by CBS or was he providing his best guess? Folks at tiger rant saying UGA/AU will get the 2:30 with bama/a&m already in the cbs primetime slot and we will default to 11am kick

That was my first UT game. I was 5 or 6. Coach Majors arranged it so I could meet Willie Gault in the hotel lobby.

I just moved to New Orleans to work for an oil major. Had a great time living there for 8 years.

I believe Willie Gault had about a 100 yard run back in that game, unless my memory is failing me.

I just moved to New Orleans to work for an oil major. Had a great time living there for 8 years.

I believe Willie Gault had about a 100 yard run back in that game, unless my memory is failing me.

He did. I can’t remember if it was the opening kickoff, but that’s the only play of the game I remember.

I think its a 42-28 win. Tied midway in the 4th quarter 28-28, but score a TD to go up 35-28 then get a turnover and punch another in to seal the game. LSU with a turnover on downs after that and we run out the clock.

That is very specific!

Reactions: Jpcisco
LSU fans gonna be hyped and loud until we win the coin flip and score quick.. then we'll not hear much from them the rest of the night. I haven't seen anything from the LSU D that says they can slow us down.

I spend some time over at tiger droppings and the tiger board there and i am simply amazed how how LSU fans are using their win over Moo State and their shutout over New Mexico State to hype themselves up.

Most of them are saying that Tennessee has no chance and that Miss State would blow us out lmao.

They are the most obnoxious, pompous acting **** talking petty fanbase in the entire SEC and are especially obsessed with throwing shade Tony V and UF's Napier.

Anyways, back to the topic.

LSU has a very efficient game managing QB with a 73 percent completion rate and zero int. Kind of like a much less explosive version of Hooker.

Defensively, they seem to be improving and looked dominant against New Mexico State.

However, if you watch their games, they simply aren't that explosive on offense and FSU took them to the wood shed. FSU also barely scraped by a 1-2 Louisville team.

If it was in Neyland and Tilman was good to go, I'd say Vols by 17 points.

However, we know how hostile their stadium can be, especially at night.

I think offensively, we have too much firepower for them and defensively we will gameplan them more aggressively like we did with Pitt as their QB is not an AR level scrambling threat.

My prediction: Tennessee 41 LSU 31.
WGWTFA!!!

Vols will have to win a shootout, it's going to be that way all year against teams with equal or better talent. You're not fixing what we saw the other night. They are what they are at this point.
You’re right. Teams cannot improve after four games. I’ll refer you to Georgia between it’s two games with Bama last year.

Others have said not necessarily because CBS can exercise their 6-day option (if they choose to do so) and punt another week to see the outcome of LSU/AU
Looking at the schedules, I could see where CBS goes with UGA/Auburn, giving Bama/A&M the primetime slot, and us the early window. I'd take that to avoid a night game there. Week after, you would think CBS would take Vols/Bama. Week 8 Ole Miss/LSU. Week 9/10, do they take us back to back with 2 potentially top 10 matchups? I don't see them potentially taking 4 of our games, so I don't think we get the CBS game against LSU

Reactions: volwindy
I will probably catch some heat over this statement, but based on what i have seen, Sampson is a legit gamebreaker Reggie Bush Alvin Kamara level talent imo. I am not saying he will definitely be legends like those two guys, but the eye test doesn't lie usually.

He can potentially be that kind of X factor difference maker in this offense and it's absolutely criminal that he didn't get more touches against Ball State and Akron headed into SEC play.

I would love to see some read option plays, screens and short outs designed to get Sampson the ball in open space.

Run Hooker a few times against LSU then when the defense starts to key on him, imagine him flipping the ball over to Sampson with nothing but green space ahead of him. Kid is a touchdown waiting to happen imo.
Don't think Hooker needs to be running a lot with that shoulder injury....if he's able to go at all. If the game were this week, he'd likely be out.

VN Store

Back